Join for free
Page 44 of 79 « First < 34 42 43 44 45 46 54 > Last »
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2016, 02:49 PM

Re: Junior Doctors strike.....

As a member of the general public and a former patient of the NHS and someone who has for the past few weeks stood (actually sat) shoulder to shoulder with the Junior Doctors on the picket line I feel I have not only the right but also the personal knowledge to comment.

Yes the Doctors were laughing and cheering, but that was in reply to the toots from the passing cars, vans, lorries, and buses. Many members of the general public donated money to purchase tea and coffee to keep the doctors warm whilst on 'picket duty'. Many of the public also donated cakes, biscuits and bars of chocolate to the doctors (being diabetic I was unable to avail myself of any of these treats). There was a shared camaraderie on the picket line and I and the doctors I saw have not only had a shared experience but have made 'friends' with all those who attended.

Strangely, Hunt, Cameron and Osborne have managed to politicise one the most deeply 'conservative' trade unions in the country and now there are possibly 270,000 people who will no longer support the 'nasty party' ever again.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2016, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
I feel I have not only the right but also the personal knowledge to comment.
OK .... so make your comment then
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2016, 02:57 PM

If this is not about pay but having to work long or extra hours, why don't the Junior Doctors suggest a voluntary pay cut so more Doctors can be employed enabling them all to work less hours.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2016, 03:01 PM

Very easy to train doctors, seven years, I believe.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2016, 03:06 PM

Again, I'm simplifying, but it seems that there are two factions in this argument: the doctors and the politicians.
Some members of the public support the doctors.
Some members of the public support the politicians.

Just ask yourself this question:
who would you trust the most, doctors or politicians?
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2016, 03:14 PM

Say what you will about Jeremy Hunt but his name will outlive all today's politicians for years - nay decades - nay generations to come Jeremy Hunt will be remembered as people acting stupidly will be told to stop acting like a Jeremy, children will wonder in awe how their daddy knows that the name of the driver that pulled out right in front of him was called Jeremy. Teenagers for years to come will tell their mates to stop being a Jeremy.

He has truly achieved immortality.
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2016, 03:23 PM

I thought this very interesting...

http://www.express.co.uk/comment/exp...doctors-strike

Ben Gummer...

This Government made a commitment to delivering a safer, seven? day NHS. Some have raised concerns that this would spread resources too thinly.

Let me address that.

Since 2010 we have increased the number of hospital nurses by 10,700 and doctors by 10,100. By 2020, the NHS will have 11,420 more doctors. Last month we announced details of the new junior doctors’ contract.

This followed three years of talks, during which the BMA walked away twice and flatly refused to negotiate on Saturday pay. I know there is a lot of anger among many junior doctors. I understand why. Juniors have many legitimate concerns and to be told, falsely, that they would suffer a 30 per cent pay cut would anger any sensible person. But they have been misled.

The new contract is not a cost-cutting exercise. It will mean on average a 13.5 per cent basic pay rise and no junior doctor working within contracted hours – 99 per cent of the workforce – will see pay cut. Higher basic pay will also mean increased contributions to pensions and higher maternity pay. The new contract will reduce the maximum hours doctors can work from 91 to 72 in a week.

My message is simple: please consider the impact your strike action will have on patients.

---------

And I second his sentiments.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2016, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Abbey ->
I have read and understood your posts Doc and as someone who worked for the NHS for over 30 years I have seen first hand the ridicuous and unsafe working hours done by Doctors . What people don't seem to realise is tired people can and do make mistakes . If the situation was to get any worse it would simply be beyond belief ..

As for taking the Hippocratic oath is that any excuse to treat them like slaves .
Should we not consider the harm being done to Doctors who have to work too many hours and yet woe betide them if they make a mistake .
I agree with your post Abbey.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2016, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Victors Mate ->
Say what you will about Jeremy Hunt but his name will outlive all today's politicians for years - nay decades - nay generations to come Jeremy Hunt will be remembered as people acting stupidly will be told to stop acting like a Jeremy, children will wonder in awe how their daddy knows that the name of the driver that pulled out right in front of him was called Jeremy. Teenagers for years to come will tell their mates to stop being a Jeremy.

He has truly achieved immortality.
Yes you are correct The Old Berkshire will be dumped in his favour.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2016, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Victors Mate ->

Equally, we might see the use of 'a right Cameron' as an expletive!

How on earth did we manage to acquire so many wallies in government just lately?

Page 44 of 79 « First < 34 42 43 44 45 46 54 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top