Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2012, 11:12 PM

Chatty Folks

As an Auditor a while ago, my mentality drove me to scan the members list, and it amazed me how many folks join the forum , but don't want to chat, or get involved, does anyone have any idea why this should be the case.
Every day new members introduce themselves, and regulars go through the motions of acknowledging them, then that is it, incommunicado. Any ideas anyone?.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2012, 11:27 PM

Re: Chatty Folks

Some people like to just 'listen' rather than chat,
Others are just passing through,
That's the way of forums and life in general
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2012, 11:37 PM

Message recieved Meg, Over and out, goodnight.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2012, 03:25 AM

That's always been my bug-bear. Why join if you don't want to chat. I've brought this subject up before on here.

I've got to the point now where I don't acknowledge new folk until they've started chatting. That may sound harsh, but why bother if they don't?
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2012, 04:57 AM

We've had "new" neighbours across the road from us for about 5 years and they never speak when passing. We've tried speaking to them a few times but have now given up.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2012, 11:57 AM

I think Meg got it right, it's the same in my local, some people just sit there, take it all in and never say much while others (me included I'm afraid) just keep nattering away. Everyone's different.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2012, 12:19 PM

I just remembered what a chap on my local forum posted last year on the same subject. Redwasp wrote: A Forum is the opposite to an interrogation, some interrogators use torture to make you talk, some Forums uses talk to shut you up.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2012, 12:31 PM

I tend to think that if a new member posts an Introduction, it is only polite to reply and give them a friendly welcome. By that initial post they can often get the feel of the forum.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

06-10-2012, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I tend to think that if a new member posts an Introduction, it is only polite to reply and give them a friendly welcome. By that initial post they can often get the feel of the forum.
I think that's true Mags.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2012, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
That's always been my bug-bear. Why join if you don't want to chat. I've brought this subject up before on here.

I've got to the point now where I don't acknowledge new folk until they've started chatting. That may sound harsh, but why bother if they don't?
If we did what you do Mollie and ignore them till they chat, we shall lose more new members going away with the idea we are a snotty nose lot.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top