Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2012, 01:03 PM

conkers

I read today that in Northumberland, the annual Conker Championship is resorting to 'sprout splatting' - because there are so few conkers around, after our wet summer
An organiser said, "the sprouts are useless because bits fall off them!"
There's a surprise
Lynne55
Lancs.
Lynne55 is female  Lynne55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2012, 01:43 PM

Re: conkers

Originally Posted by Janela ->
I read today that in Northumberland, the annual Conker Championship is resorting to 'sprout splatting' - because there are so few conkers around, after our wet summer
An organiser said, "the sprouts are useless because bits fall off them!"
There's a surprise
Not quite the same as Conkers are they. I noticed there weren't many Conkers around as well. Same with Blackberries, Wild apples & other wild fruit. I usually pick loads when I'm out walking but only got a few Blackberries this year.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2012, 01:59 PM

I used to love playing conkers as a boy, can't imagine playing with sprouts though. I'll bet that started with two naughty boys who wouldn't eat their sprouts and were looking for a fun way to get rid of them.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2012, 04:16 PM

Jan. I thought you were going to say they stopped it for Health & Safety reasons.

I know several schools who have stopped kids playing Conkers.
I used to love playing it. Mind you we used to varnish our conkers
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2012, 04:55 PM

We used to take our grandson out conkering, the trees were always loaded but this year they do seem scarce. Jamie's school is one of those who have banned conkers....
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2012, 05:21 PM

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but there is a reason why there are so few conkers & it is because Britain's horse chestnuts are being attacked by a virulent disease, and half the population could already be affected.

extract GUARDIAN

"Scientists have been observing the disease for a few years now, but a study published today by Forest Research, the Forestry Commission's research arm, reveals the extent to which it has taken hold. Based on months of detailed fieldwork, the report's findings show that almost 50% of the UK's horse chestnut trees could have bleeding canker. In some regions the problem appears especially grave, particularly the south-east, where 76% of the sample trees showed signs of the disease."
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2012, 05:39 PM

Thanks for that Robert, I am pleased to inform you we have no Bleedin' Cankers in our parks, thanks to the neighbourhood watch people.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2012, 05:56 PM

Bye jove Jem would they dare to come to Ireland with you on duty in the parks!I am concerned about the conker shortage as a few in each room keeps the spiders away.Also had a thought that do you think that things that give us pleasure are being removed by order!You and I will have to have a word in Gods ear I think.
HeatherMK
Milton Keynes, UK
HeatherMK is female  HeatherMK has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2012, 06:01 PM

We have the disease in our conker trees everywhere here. It is such a shame.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2012, 10:03 PM

Jemflux "BLeedin' canker ?" you have a certain way with words lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top