Join for free
Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2015, 10:01 AM

Re: Billionaires

Possibly if they paid fair wages to everyone and paid their taxes and stopped the nasty attitude to anyone who isn't working they may find we applaud them ? I have personally never had a problem with anyone earning millions until we were unable to earn a decent wage, suddenly it concentrated my mind on how badly we are being treated. Perhaps something they might like to think about because I am not someone who would raise a hand to another but plenty of people being treated badly now might just be inclined to eventually fight back with their fists !
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2015, 10:03 AM

I think you've hit the nail right on the head there Julie, unless you are in those shoes you cannot understand our side of the argument .....
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2015, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Possibly if they paid fair wages to everyone and paid their taxes and stopped the nasty attitude to anyone who isn't working they may find we applaud them ? I have personally never had a problem with anyone earning millions until we were unable to earn a decent wage, suddenly it concentrated my mind on how badly we are being treated. Perhaps something they might like to think about because I am not someone who would raise a hand to another but plenty of people being treated badly now might just be inclined to eventually fight back with their fists !
Many of the people in these "Rich Lists" have got to where they are now on the backs of paying reduced pay rates or the minimum wage in this country and virtual slave labour overseas so I find it hard to feel anything much for their so-called success.

It's a known fact that businesses have benefited greatly from capping wages for years now but what many do not appreciate is the fact that if the minimum wage was raised to something closer to the Living Wage then thousands of people would no longer be eligible or require State Benefits at all.

Likewise increasing the Tax Allowances for Pensioners to a realistic level would also have the same result therefore we are, as a nation, subsiding our business sectors at the expense of the most vulnerable in our society thanks to the myopic' narrow-minded policies of the politicians. stevmk2
Markey1
London
Markey1 is male  Markey1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2015, 10:33 AM

Billionaires I know of through work have a massive work force in many companies , if it wasn't for them thousands more be on the dole
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2015, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
Many of the people in these "Rich Lists" have got to where they are now on the backs of paying reduced pay rates or the minimum wage in this country and virtual slave labour overseas so I find it hard to feel anything much for their so-called success.

It's a known fact that businesses have benefited greatly from capping wages for years now but what many do not appreciate is the fact that if the minimum wage was raised to something closer to the Living Wage then thousands of people would no longer be eligible or require State Benefits at all.

Likewise increasing the Tax Allowances for Pensioners to a realistic level would also have the same result therefore we are, as a nation, subsiding our business sectors at the expense of the most vulnerable in our society thanks to the myopic' narrow-minded policies of the politicians. stevmk2
Absolutely agree and I wonder why some people refuse to see that ?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2015, 11:26 AM

I don't have much of a problem with people making so much money it just mystifies me as to why they want to keep it, they could do so much good with it and they can't possibly spend it! I can't understand what pleasure it gives them to accumulate so much wealth, it's obscene.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

26-04-2015, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
I don't have much of a problem with people making so much money it just mystifies me as to why they want to keep it, they could do so much good with it and they can't possibly spend it! I can't understand what pleasure it gives them to accumulate so much wealth, it's obscene.
Very good point Twiz, I have read statistics that say the lower earners actually give far more to charity (percentage wise) than those with millions.
Anzac
South West UK
Anzac is female  Anzac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2015, 11:43 AM

I don't believe that anyone gets that rich without exploiting someone, somewhere, along the way.
And no we're not all richer, they haven't given me a penny!

Apropos nothing at all, there is an article in the paper today about "giving". Those that have most, give least apparently. No surprises there then!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2015, 12:16 PM

I think, when they get very wealthy they don't see the value of money any more, it becomes just something in the background, not important to their lives so they don't see how anyone can need it. My neices husband worked for an extremely wealthy person overseas he used to forget to pay his wages and couldn't understand why he got upset.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2015, 02:01 PM

I never had a problem with folks having sacks of money either, in fact I can't wait to see who the first trillionaire will be, to hell with the begrudgers and I hope they enjoy their money while they can, but as I'm always saying, doesn't matter how much you have you'll still end up in a box the same as every other Tom Dick and Harry, the great leveller sees to that.

Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top