Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2015, 08:49 AM

Re: Nhs

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Not sure it's relevant, but when I was still working, if we did any special training courses, they were paid for by our employer. BUT, if you left their employment within a certain time afterwards (can't remember the time limit), you had to repay the course fee. I think that fair enough.

I know when Mum was in and out of hospital, there were many foreign nurses and docs who's English was appalling, but if so many of our medically trained people continue to leave this country, I guess we'll have to get used to this.
What really worries me isn't how many work here because they seem well trained but what about the poorer countries they come from ? who is doing their health care if all their nurses and doctors are here. It's ok saying alls well here or in Aus but what about the countries people are coming from how are they coping.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2015, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
I think the NHS has to be taken out of politics completely, it needs a governing body of possibly the best businessmen in the country to sort it.
I think this is the very last thing we need in the NHS! After all, the involvement of business in British Rail, the Water Industry etc etc has been such a great success - NOT!

The first thing we need to do is get rid of the "purchaser/provider" internal market in the NHS. All this has done since its inception is to increase massively the pointless levels of expensive management and bureaucracy - sucking up millions for no good reason. Bring back matrons rather than managers - their background is in nursing and patient care, not the latest managerial theory.
Our NHS is brilliant, but it is in danger of going downhill fast unless we recognise it as a national treasure and not a political football.
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2015, 10:13 AM

I agree about not using the NHS as a political football. On a different topic slightly, I was just reading about a treatment centre for alcohol addiction in Manchester..
It's shocking to read that alcohol related issues are costing the NHS 3.8bn a year. That's about £145 per household. That is probably a conservative estimate. One in 3 A&E admissions is alcohol related and it can rise to 70pc at the weekend.
The treatment centre is doing a good job of preventing people being back in A &E within 3 months but it may close through lack of funding and I think it's the only one in the country where people are referred from Hospitals. For most alcoholics A&E is their main and often only source of treatment and they present with multiple and severe problems like liver failure.

Funding more of the centres would help.

If you add the alcohol issue to the issue of a rapidly ageing population you can see why there is a problem, I don't know any figures on drug abuse but that is there also.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2015, 10:19 AM

Who ever runs our NHS have to be the greatest businessmen we have, it is one of the biggest concerns that have to be run efficiently, from cleaners, buyers, and of course the matron, which the Labour party reintroduced in the last Labour government.
They don't walk around in the uniform as a matron as the oldies know it, they just wear civvies, I know our hospital has one.
See Here
Hospitals these days can't be judged on the past, we have far bigger hospitals and many more patients, so a matrons role like it was years back has changed, it would be impossible for a hospital to be managed by one matron.
We need good businessmen who will run it efficiently, and of course non profit making.
I had a major operation in a private hospital, and had to be transferred to a NHS hospital because the private hospital hadn't the equipment etc to save my life, so I am eternal grateful to the NHS for the extra time I have had with my family.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2015, 01:35 PM

I have mixed views of the NHS. When either myself or my wife have needed treatment, it has been very good, but generally, the waiting times are disgraceful and the administration was a bad joke. Even when it comes to seeing my GP, the doctors used to know us as people. Now it seems to be all about targets and lifestyles determined by a committee.

More and more, I think there is a need for private healthcare alongside the NHS. If you have a serious condition that needs immediate treatment, or you don't mind waiting and/or being messed around , then stick with the NHS. If you want quick, convenient treatment for a minor condition, then go privately.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2015, 02:46 PM

No reason you can't do that now I guess, where I work they have a private scheme which seems to work well for anything from itchy skin to tonsillectomies and one couple had IVF. Break a leg they go to A&E. Seems if you can afford the premiums a good deal.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2015, 06:59 PM

I had private medical cover when I was in work and I miss it sometimes.
A few years ago I needed a hernia op and funny enough, all the hospitals in this area had exactly the same waiting time. When I expressed my disgust, I was literally told that this was the NHS and I could take it or leave it.
Eventually when I had to see them for a pre-op assessment (which I was then told I didn't need - after having driven 40 miles to the hospital) they were miffed that I had booked a holiday so they would miss THEIR targets. I said that if I had to wait for them, they could wait for me.

Anyway, the Op went fine (just with a local anaesthetic) and the surgical staff were great. Afterwards I spoke to the consultant who said that if I had asked, she would have done the op privately at the hospital and saved me all the hassle !
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2015, 07:08 PM

Waiting times in my hospital are at an acceptable level. By god it's been hard work getting them there. Too many hospital managers, bed managers, clipboard holders, cock ups in catering, infection control gone manic. I could go on and on. But. I have to say that most patients are well looked after and have positive experiences. I don't agree with the Matrons. They were often bullies. A good charge nurse can still run a spick and span ward.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2015, 07:20 PM

Grumble wagon said :----More and more, I think there is a need for private healthcare alongside the NHS. If you have a serious condition that needs immediate treatment, or you don't mind waiting and/or being messed around , then stick with the NHS. If you want quick, convenient treatment for a minor condition, then go privately.

That is what I call queue jumping, you get no better treatment, the doctors are the same.
So the only thing I see you gain other than the queue jumping is a room to yourself,
Now my private room was terrible lonely, basic furniture etc.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2015, 07:23 PM

If you need quick treatment then you would go to accident and emergency and get it. Surely if it were that urgent?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top