Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2015, 09:53 PM

Re: Nhs

Originally Posted by susan m ->
A friend is a staff nurse , she says it's all about politics and getting em in and out . She wants it to return to as it was , nursing and caring for people. I think the n h s is a great service .

I do feel that people outside of the UK who come here and are treated should pay , possibly by taking out health insurance as we do when leaving this country .
Well said susan m.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2015, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Anita ->
I agree about not using the NHS as a political football. On a different topic slightly, I was just reading about a treatment centre for alcohol addiction in Manchester..
It's shocking to read that alcohol related issues are costing the NHS 3.8bn a year. That's about £145 per household. That is probably a conservative estimate. One in 3 A&E admissions is alcohol related and it can rise to 70pc at the weekend.
The treatment centre is doing a good job of preventing people being back in A &E within 3 months but it may close through lack of funding and I think it's the only one in the country where people are referred from Hospitals. For most alcoholics A&E is their main and often only source of treatment and they present with multiple and severe problems like liver failure.

Funding more of the centres would help.

If you add the alcohol issue to the issue of a rapidly ageing population you can see why there is a problem, I don't know any figures on drug abuse but that is there also.
it isn't just alcohol abuse that drains the NHS, smokers are high up there on the self inflicted illnesses including cancer, lung disease, chronic bronchitis,emphysema and COPD to name just a few!
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2015, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
Grumble wagon said :----More and more, I think there is a need for private healthcare alongside the NHS. If you have a serious condition that needs immediate treatment, or you don't mind waiting and/or being messed around , then stick with the NHS. If you want quick, convenient treatment for a minor condition, then go privately.

That is what I call queue jumping, you get no better treatment, the doctors are the same.
So the only thing I see you gain other than the queue jumping is a room to yourself,
Now my private room was terrible lonely, basic furniture etc.
No, it is not queue jumping. Same doctors, but working in their own time, not NHS time. So nothing to do with the NHS queue. Except, of course, for every patient who goes private the NHS queue is shorter by one patient, which can't be bad.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2015, 10:30 PM

I've worked for the NHS for more than 20 years and have seen many foreign patients, mainly Arabs who have flown in for private treatment and have been treated throughout the day and not after hours as some folk think
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2015, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Honey ->
I've worked for the NHS for more than 20 years and have seen many foreign patients, mainly Arabs who have flown in for private treatment and have been treated throughout the day and not after hours as some folk think
Yes, but all NHS consultants have some free time during the week as their commitment to the NHS is for a given number of sessions per week. A session roughly equates to a half day, and very few consultants have an NHS commitment of more than 8 daytime sessions, given that they also have out of hours commitments. So it is quite possible to treat private patients during the day in their own time.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire

28-04-2015, 10:58 PM

that can be quite a grey area, many of our consultants would visit the local private hospital to treat their patients and that's how it should be, not in an NHS hospital, the nursing staff are all NHS and treat NHS patients alongside the private sector
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2015, 09:44 AM

Agree Honey, and when you think about it consultants who train
in the NHS should remain in the NHS, not be able to go to private hospitals.
My dentist practice I have been with for 26 years just sent me a letter saying my dentist is only going to treat private patients only, join some private scheme which he urges me to do, or find another dentist in the practice.
Obviously I have changed my dentist for a rookie, who I expect is more up to date with dentistry than he was.
I just hope others have done the same and not bowed down to blackmail.
Train in the NHS and our uni's then stay in them, or pay back to the NHS the cost of your training and education.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2015, 09:47 AM

I also reckon that patients who miss appointments without a genuine reason should pay a fine to cover the cost.
Thousands are missed every week of the year, and it just isn't fair.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2015, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
I also reckon that patients who miss appointments without a genuine reason should pay a fine to cover the cost.
Thousands are missed every week of the year, and it just isn't fair.
Now that's a good idea our surgery displays number of missed appointments and it's massive and growing. Only thing would worry me though is if you make an appointment over a month in advance and die or go to hospital or even get better it should be easier to cancel appointments. We make and cancel appointments using emis computer system it's not unknown (really common) not to be able to log in or it refuses to do what you want to do. They need to fix that before fining anyone.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.

29-04-2015, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Now that's a good idea our surgery displays number of missed appointments and it's massive and growing. Only thing would worry me though is if you make an appointment over a month in advance and die or go to hospital or even get better it should be easier to cancel appointments. We make and cancel appointments using emis computer system it's not unknown (really common) not to be able to log in or it refuses to do what you want to do. They need to fix that before fining anyone.
Whats wrong with telephoning the surgery to cancel.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top