Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2015, 12:54 PM

National Identity

Being born here is not particularly important to Australians' national identity, but the ability to speak English is increasingly vital, a nationwide survey has found.

A majority of Australians also favour a republic, but do not want to change the flag, the 18th iteration of the Australian National University's ANUpoll found.

Other interesting findings were that:

Australians had a very positive view of immigrants' contribution to Australia, with 85 per cent saying immigrants improve Australian society by "bringing new ideas and cultures to Australia".

Two-thirds did not agree that immigrants increased crime rates or took jobs away from Australian-born nationals.

However nearly two-thirds said that Australia should take stronger measures to exclude illegal immigrants.

In terms of the biggest problem facing the nation, "better government" and the economy are both seen as bigger issues than they were in January.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2015, 01:48 PM

Re: National Identity

It was the Aborigines I was more interested in. They'd had a bad deal considering it's their country.
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2015, 02:08 PM

Love the photo Bruce, I think that is Oz there is a very different outlook to here in the UK in some ways.

I think Oz has some pretty strict controls on immigration from what I know which I will admit is not comprehensive but I think there are thorough checks and rules on who can enter the country.
On a slightly different topic I sometimes watch a program called Anything To Declare and it's such an eye opener on what people try to bring into the country. There are very strict rules indeed on organic matter, plants and food etc to prevent diseases which they may contain spreading to Australia.

The other really horrible thing to see is threatened species being smuggled in suitcases and in parcels sometimes in large numbers.

Regarding the economy I think that's the big one for every country, without the right economic policies the country as a whole won't do very well.
I think there seems to be a mentality of working hard and wanting to succeed through work in Australia which can only be a good thing.
Markey1
London
Markey1 is male  Markey1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2015, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Being born here is not particularly important to Australians' national identity, but the ability to speak English is increasingly vital, a nationwide survey has found.

A majority of Australians also favour a republic, but do not want to change the flag, the 18th iteration of the Australian National University's ANUpoll found.

Other interesting findings were that:

Australians had a very positive view of immigrants' contribution to Australia, with 85 per cent saying immigrants improve Australian society by "bringing new ideas and cultures to Australia".

Two-thirds did not agree that immigrants increased crime rates or took jobs away from Australian-born nationals.

However nearly two-thirds said that Australia should take stronger measures to exclude illegal immigrants.

In terms of the biggest problem facing the nation, "better government" and the economy are both seen as bigger issues than they were in January.

If I was a aboriginal I be bit disappointed in how me country been taken over , esspicaly the thousands of ex cons from yesterday years ,
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2015, 02:41 PM

From memory 25% of the population was born overseas. Everybody whether tourist or immigrant to Australia needs a visa.

I am not 100% familiar with the current immigration system but it is points based; you get points for language skills, education, trade skills, relatives here etc. If a skill is needed then it gets a lot of points if it is not then fewer. There are also 457 visas which nominally are part of foreign aid allowing islanders to work here in jobs no one else will do. Finally there are backpacker visas which allow young people to stay longer (up to two years) if they perform work in rural areas (usually fruit picking) for a period of time. Oh, if you have a lot of money you get in too.

At the moment immigration runs at 180000 a year, higher than ever before however our refugee intake is a pathetic 13000 a year. Personally I would like to see the first figure halved and the latter doubled but that's just me.

Aboriginals are Australian and have been since 1967 before that they were part of the fauna and the responsibility of the individual states. Their life expectancy is improving but still over a decade less than the rest of the population, a problem that has had a lot of money thrown at it without much of a result. Sad but true.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

29-04-2015, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Markey1 ->
If I was a aboriginal I be bit disappointed in how me country been taken over , esspicaly the thousands of ex cons from yesterday years ,
Sadly, due to a clerical error in 1787, all the innocent people were loaded on the First Fleet and shipped to Australia while all the crims were left behind resulting in the situation we find ourselves in today.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2015, 02:53 PM

Aboriginals are Australian and have been since 1967 before that they were part of the fauna and the responsibility of the individual states.
Shocking it took so long to recognise them Money isn't what everyone needs thrown at them either, their culture and homes need reinstating if that is what they want.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2015, 02:58 PM

Hi Bruce, I am reading 'The Fatal Shore' at present and I can understand exactly why you don't want even more criminal classes in your country !
Markey1
London
Markey1 is male  Markey1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2015, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Shocking it took so long to recognise them Money isn't what everyone needs thrown at them either, their culture and homes need reinstating if that is what they want.

Australias boom is anything but for its Aboriginal people
they still poverty and humiliation, while their land yields the one of world's biggest resources boom
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2015, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I don't think there is a way of turning the clock back to Australia becoming just as it was before any white people came to Australia which is what it would require. I suppose all the people of UK descent could come back here !

If we were to be really strict about countries and who should live there, all the people who ever emigrated to the U.S. and their descendants should leave America too so that the U.S. can be returned to the Native Americans. We would be more than a bit overcrowded, of course The British Isles belonged to the Celts, so maybe all the Anglo Saxons and their descendants should return to Their homeland. They were the immigrants once.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top