Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2015, 06:52 PM

Re: National Identity

Cannot be compared to this country at all - so we have both made that point - good here ain't it
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2015, 08:56 PM

[QUOTE=Myra "Finding an immigrant would be like finding a pea on top of a mountain there"

I wonder what would happen there if an immigrant was found having a pee on top of a mountain?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2015, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by Myra ->
They wouldn't hardly notice. It's a MASSIVE country. I was mesmerised by it when I was there. It takes hours to fly from one part of the country to another. HOURS. Hardly comparable to GB. Finding an immigrant would be like finding a pea on top of a mountain there.
Don't be absurd. I already told you 25% of the population was born overseas, that is one in four. It is also the most urbanised population on the planet, 90% of the population lives on the coast and most of that lives in the capital cities.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2015, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Britain also owes a debt of gratitude to all the immigrants that have come to live and work here in the UK, we are a better Britain because of them. However, due to a clerical error by labour in the late nineties and early 21st century, far more immigrants were allowed in before we had time to build enough infrastructure to accommodate them.
Yes, back then it was impossible to have too much of a good thing.
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2015, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Don't be absurd. I already told you 25% of the population was born overseas, that is one in four. It is also the most urbanised population on the planet, 90% of the population lives on the coast and most of that lives in the capital cities.
Well exactly but sometimes the obvious just doesn't seem to be so.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2015, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Shocking it took so long to recognise them Money isn't what everyone needs thrown at them either, their culture and homes need reinstating if that is what they want.
You can blame the British Parliament for the first thing and their decision to declare Australia "Terra Nullius" (empty land).

The Australian Constitution is an Act of the British Parliament and it is not easily changed. It can only be changed by referendum which requires a majority of people in a majority of states and a majority of people across the nation as a whole to vote 'yes' (called a double majority), onlythen the proposal to amend the Constitution is agreed to. Otherwise the Constitution remains unchanged.

There have been about 20 attempts to change the Constitution since Federation and I think about 8 have been successful.

The constitution as passed by Britain originally stated:

51. The Parliament shall, subject to this Constitution, have power to make laws for the peace, order, and good government of the Commonwealth with respect to:-
...(xxvi) The people of any race, other than the aboriginal people in any State, for whom it is necessary to make special laws.

127. In reckoning the numbers of the people of the Commonwealth, or of a State or other part of the Commonwealth, aboriginal natives should not be counted.
The 1967 Referendum repealed section 127 and removed the words "other than the aboriginal people in any State" from section 51.

Prior to that the Aborigines came under the control of the States which in some did their best others their worst but all with the prevailing but well meaning motives of the day.

Since then a lot has changed including the historic Mabo decision which eventually gave us Aboriginal Native Title and Land Rights - they do share in the mineral wealth on their land (which the majority of the population do not.)

Aboriginal disadvantage is a problem worthy of Solomon, a road to hell paved with good intentions even Aboriginal leaders do not agree on solutions; some prefer paternal attempts such as grog free zones and income management. Others prefer carrot and stick solutions such as rewards for good school attendance. Who knows? When some of these tiny remote settlements in WA were told they were unviable and should combine there was an outcry.

Things are improving but very slowly. Aboriginal health has been badly affected by western food and the abandonment of their bush tucker diet

Drugs, grog and petrol sniffing are such a big problem in remote areas than special petrol (Opal) is only on sale in Central Australia - it doesn't have the 'active' ingredients needed for a 'high'. Child abuse and domestic violence characterise some dysfunctional settlements.

There are no easy and glib solutions.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2015, 08:24 AM

[QUOTE=Jem;643525][QUOTE=Myra "Finding an immigrant would be like finding a pea on top of a mountain there"

I wonder what would happen there if an immigrant was found having a pee on top of a mountain?[/QUOTE]

Oh Jem, you just put me in a fit of laughter!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2015, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
You can blame the British Parliament for the first thing and their decision to declare Australia "Terra Nullius" (empty land).

The Australian Constitution is an Act of the British Parliament and it is not easily changed. It can only be changed by referendum which requires a majority of people in a majority of states and a majority of people across the nation as a whole to vote 'yes' (called a double majority), onlythen the proposal to amend the Constitution is agreed to. Otherwise the Constitution remains unchanged.

There have been about 20 attempts to change the Constitution since Federation and I think about 8 have been successful.

The constitution as passed by Britain originally stated:

The 1967 Referendum repealed section 127 and removed the words "other than the aboriginal people in any State" from section 51.

Prior to that the Aborigines came under the control of the States which in some did their best others their worst but all with the prevailing but well meaning motives of the day.

Since then a lot has changed including the historic Mabo decision which eventually gave us Aboriginal Native Title and Land Rights - they do share in the mineral wealth on their land (which the majority of the population do not.)

Aboriginal disadvantage is a problem worthy of Solomon, a road to hell paved with good intentions even Aboriginal leaders do not agree on solutions; some prefer paternal attempts such as grog free zones and income management. Others prefer carrot and stick solutions such as rewards for good school attendance. Who knows? When some of these tiny remote settlements in WA were told they were unviable and should combine there was an outcry.

Things are improving but very slowly. Aboriginal health has been badly affected by western food and the abandonment of their bush tucker diet

Drugs, grog and petrol sniffing are such a big problem in remote areas than special petrol (Opal) is only on sale in Central Australia - it doesn't have the 'active' ingredients needed for a 'high'. Child abuse and domestic violence characterise some dysfunctional settlements.

There are no easy and glib solutions.
Yes blame Britain because there has been no point since that decision was made to put it right, Australia has had plenty of time to sort this out, same as America has had plenty of time to sort out their native American problems. But it is easier to blame Britain and have no guilt yourselves.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

30-04-2015, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Yes blame Britain because there has been no point since that decision was made to put it right, Australia has had plenty of time to sort this out, same as America has had plenty of time to sort out their native American problems. But it is easier to blame Britain and have no guilt yourselves.
What a load of twaddle! we are not blaming Britain. I merely pointed out where the law came from and said YOU could blame Britain because YOU raised it as an issue.

New Zealand didn't have the same problem because it was not declared Terra Nullius and Britain signed the Treaty of Waitangi with the local inhabitants which I understand is still in force today. Britain could have but didn't do the same thing in Australia and this could be why we have so many long term problems (apart from the mass slaughter of aborigines under British rule).
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2015, 09:04 AM

It's up to us how we treat people it seems odd to me people chose to follow a law when they could have chosen to treat them however they wished. No matter what anyone says when we got it wrong they all had a perfect chance to get it right. I think if we all look back in our countries we have times like that and we have to hold our hands up and say we didn't do our best for people no matter what the laws say we can do.
People here had slaves and encouraged slavery because it was lawful, they chose to do it many didn't even though it was lawful because they saw it as wrong.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top