Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2015, 09:44 AM

Re: Lindsay sandiford

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
drugs are not "filthy" you are using emotitive language that is not true to try to exagerate your views. the people who supply this stuff are not evil - again emotitive language -misguided maybe an silly but NOT evil - the clear evidence from around the civilized world is that the death penalty does not reduce drug use - sure give them a stiff prison sentence - but heh I'd like to see you attempting to pull the trigger in the firing squad - game for it?
I didn't realise how you felt about drugs it does explain your defence of these people. I have seen what drugs did to my family and it is filth IME.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2015, 09:46 AM

I do think a firing squad is dated and cruel. You wouldn't put an animal down like that in this day and age. No one deserves that. Now there is an element of evil to the firing squad IMO.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2015, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Myra ->
I do think a firing squad is dated and cruel. You wouldn't put an animal down like that in this day and age. No one deserves that. Now there is an element of evil to the firing squad IMO.
I don't disagree as I have said repeatedly I don't believe it works or should ever be used. I don't think the people firing are evil we don't know what inducements are used to make them do it. Very different countries where they are far harsher on their troupes than here and even here we expect our troupes to follow orders and kill when commanded.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2015, 09:57 AM

The reason Lindsey wasn't put to death at the same time as the others
is because they have been in jail longer than her. They were part of the
Drug 9 or something like that who were bringing the drugs through
for many years. It is an awful thing that people still get the death
penalty in some countries but as mentioned they all knew that this
occurred in that country. The saying that comes to my mind is
if you don't want the pain don't do the deed.
p.s. At least before the firing squad the Australians were singing.
That's the way to go whatever you have done wrong.
Markey1
London
Markey1 is male  Markey1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2015, 10:25 AM

Many years ago I was for the death sentence , but then I thought one day if my daughter was facing the death sentence awaiting in prison ,

The answer I got within course it would kill me and her mum if she was excuted , really don't think I would want to live , if she had a life sentence you as a parent have hope , you can visit , and still be a parent , were as excutions that final for the love one left behind , so I found my answer , don't really agree with the death sentence

She very silly woman all the country's she could of done a drugs run where's Theres no death penalty , but choice to take that risk knowing if caught see will face the death sentence , but deep down I would like to see a reprieve not for her but for her children that can live in hope ,

Just put yourself in their shoes look deep within and you find your true answers

But we have to obey other country's laws too
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2015, 11:53 AM

From what I've read about other methods of capital punishment, the firing squad is quick, final and presumably pretty much instantaneous (and therefore pain free). If I was going to be executed, it would be the firing squad for me. I actually think there are quite a lot of people who "deserve it" - for me, the broader "deterrent" argument is irrelevant. All we can be sure of is that death would definitely "deter" the executed miscreant from reoffending.
My objection to capital punishment is not on moral grounds - I believe that people who cold-bloodedly and deliberately murder others have no right to life and that society has no obligation to care and provide for them for the rest of their lives (or a few years in most cases before they can resume their lives). My objection to capital punishment is simply that I do not believe that our justice system is efficient enough to get it right every time and even one wrongly executed person is one too many.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2015, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Markey1 ->
She very silly woman all the country's she could of done a drugs run where's Theres no death penalty , but choice to take that risk knowing if caught see will face the death sentence , but deep down I would like to see a reprieve not for her but for her children that can live in hope
From what I have read, she wasn't silly, she was trying to protect her stupid son who had got in with the wrong crowd (dealers etc) and she was told that the only way she could stop him being killed by the drug cartel, was to smuggle a package into Indonesia. So - yes she knew she was breaking the law, she knew what the likely outcome might be if she was caught, but... she was a mother. I think that she, of all the prisoners involved, deserves some leniency - who amongst us might not have done the same thing for our children?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

04-05-2015, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
From what I have read, she wasn't silly, she was trying to protect her stupid son who had got in with the wrong crowd (dealers etc) and she was told that the only way she could stop him being killed by the drug cartel, was to smuggle a package into Indonesia. So - yes she knew she was breaking the law, she knew what the likely outcome might be if she was caught, but... she was a mother. I think that she, of all the prisoners involved, deserves some leniency - who amongst us might not have done the same thing for our children?
I would fight tooth and nail for mine but breaking the law wouldn't be my way. I have marched one of mine to the police station to let them sort out the trouble he was getting in and I would do it again if any of them showed any signs of going off the rails. We cannot take it into our own hands to deal with these things the police are the people who know what to do.

In our case our boy had no charges to face as he hadn't done anything wrong but his "gang" of boys he was running with all got into trouble none of them too badly but it did give them the short sharp shock they needed. Looking at them now they have all gone on to do very well so it worked to stop them going the wrong way.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2015, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
From what I've read about other methods of capital punishment, the firing squad is quick, final and presumably pretty much instantaneous (and therefore pain free). If I was going to be executed, it would be the firing squad for me. I actually think there are quite a lot of people who "deserve it" - for me, the broader "deterrent" argument is irrelevant. All we can be sure of is that death would definitely "deter" the executed miscreant from reoffending.
My objection to capital punishment is not on moral grounds - I believe that people who cold-bloodedly and deliberately murder others have no right to life and that society has no obligation to care and provide for them for the rest of their lives (or a few years in most cases before they can resume their lives). My objection to capital punishment is simply that I do not believe that our justice system is efficient enough to get it right every time and even one wrongly executed person is one too many.
I think lethal injection would be quicker and painless.

No matter how it's done, it's still a hellish situation.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

04-05-2015, 12:26 PM

I think lethal injection would be quicker and painless.

No matter how it's done, it's still a hellish situation.
They have a had few terribly painful deaths in USA using that method, like being burned alive from the inside one person reported

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top