Join for free
Reply
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
swimfeeders is online now
Shropshire
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 14,512
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
13-03-2018, 12:42 PM
1

Changing Wipers and Headlamp Bulbs.

Hi

Simple jobs, but not anymore.

My wipers fold down under the bonnet and even if you lift it up, you cannot get to the blades to change them.

A right performance to change them, you have to start the engine, put the wipers on slow and then cut the engine with the wipers still operating.

You need lightning fast reactions to get it right so they stop upright, you cannot just stop the wipers, they then park out of sight.

I am changing my headlamp bulbs, got some better ones.

You have to take the entire headlamp unit out to change the bulbs, you cannot access them from inside the engine compartment.

Life is no longer simple.
Reply With Quote
Docholliday
Senior Member
Docholliday is offline
Norfolk UK
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 2,077
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
13-03-2018, 02:28 PM
2

Re: Changing Wipers and Headlamp Bulbs.

Get Halfords to change them for you that's if you have one local.
Reply With Quote
Barry's Avatar
Barry
Chatterbox
Barry is offline
North Notts
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 12,387
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
13-03-2018, 02:49 PM
3

Re: Changing Wipers and Headlamp Bulbs.

On my car if you turn the wipers on immediately after turning off the ignition they park themselves upright on the windscreen....
Reply With Quote
realspeed
Chatterbox
realspeed is online now
east sussex
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 7,101
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
13-03-2018, 05:34 PM
4

Re: Changing Wipers and Headlamp Bulbs.

Changing headlight bulbs could possibly mean installing a relay to power them, not just to have them brighter. Also there are restrictions on how bright they can go.
AS for wiper blades i have recently seen a trimming tool that restores old blades item on ebay?

Reply With Quote
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
swimfeeders is online now
Shropshire
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 14,512
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
13-03-2018, 05:49 PM
5

Re: Changing Wipers and Headlamp Bulbs.

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Changing headlight bulbs could possibly mean installing a relay to power them, not just to have them brighter. Also there are restrictions on how bright they can go.
AS for wiper blades i have recently seen a trimming tool that restores old blades items on ebay

Hi

My wiper blades have had it, now replaced with better ones.

My new headlamp bulbs are legal, just will be much better.

Auto Express best buy.

I have bought them from Germany, at a fraction of the cost that they are here.

I am fed up with Ripoff UK.

Guy has sent me from Taiwan new bits for my Marine Aquarium, even with postage, Import Duties and VAT, they are 60% cheaper.
Reply With Quote
Longdogs's Avatar
Longdogs
Chatterbox
Longdogs is online now
England
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 20,293
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
17-03-2018, 05:32 PM
6

Re: Changing Wipers and Headlamp Bulbs.

I once thought the shop assistant in Halfords was being so helpful when he offered to fit my headlamp bulb for me. How nice I thought, and agreed, until he demanded five quid for the pleasure. I think I mumbled a swear word.
Reply With Quote
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
swimfeeders is online now
Shropshire
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 14,512
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
31-03-2018, 07:07 AM
7

Re: Changing Wipers and Headlamp Bulbs.

Hi

I have not driven for months.

I had my brake pads changed on Thursday due to a squeal and the new bulbs fitted.

What a difference with the headlamps.

They are GE plus 130, Autotrader best buy.

Went out in the dark this morning to try them, absolutely amazing difference.

I changed both the dipped and main beam, no need for new ballasts or anything, just a straight a straight swap.

70 at Halfords, much cheaper on Ebay from Germany.

It is like a different car.
Reply With Quote
Tregonsee's Avatar
Tregonsee
Senior Member
Tregonsee is offline
Lancashire UK
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 589
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
06-04-2018, 09:39 PM
8

Re: Changing Wipers and Headlamp Bulbs.

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I have not driven for months.

I had my brake pads changed on Thursday due to a squeal and the new bulbs fitted.

What a difference with the headlamps.

They are GE plus 130, Autotrader best buy.

Went out in the dark this morning to try them, absolutely amazing difference.

I changed both the dipped and main beam, no need for new ballasts or anything, just a straight a straight swap.

70 at Halfords, much cheaper on Ebay from Germany.

It is like a different car.

28 now Halfords
24.61 Amazon
Reply With Quote
Rhian's Avatar
Rhian
Chatterbox
Rhian is offline
North Wales
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 8,079
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
08-04-2018, 02:01 PM
9

Re: Changing Wipers and Headlamp Bulbs.

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I once thought the shop assistant in Halfords was being so helpful when he offered to fit my headlamp bulb for me. How nice I thought, and agreed, until he demanded five quid for the pleasure. I think I mumbled a swear word.
I'd rather do that than fumble along for hours not knowing what I'm doing
We have a Checkpoint store near us they only charge an extra 3 for fitting wipers or headlamps
Reply With Quote
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
swimfeeders is online now
Shropshire
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 14,512
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
08-04-2018, 04:22 PM
10

Re: Changing Wipers and Headlamp Bulbs.

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
I'd rather do that than fumble along for hours not knowing what I'm doing
We have a Checkpoint store near us they only charge an extra 3 for fitting wipers or headlamps
Hi

They would make a loss on mine.

The entire headlight has to be removed to replace a bulb.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top

Powered by vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.