Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2018, 10:23 PM

continuous colds and chest infections

Ever since November I've had so many colds and chest infection and I had a bout of pneumonia and today I've started with another cold kindly passed onto me by my husband. I have recently been diagnosed with COPD but never in all my life have I known a year like this for catching so many colds/chest infections and viruses. My chest has never completely cleared up since the pneumonia but my doctor tells me my chest is clear of infection. I'm feeling so fed up this past few months and quite obviously my immune system must be really low. I take lots of vitamins to help boost my IS but I wondered if anyone could think of anything else I can do to help myself. I just want to feel 'normal' again, if i ever was normal that is.
I thought I would run it by you just on the offchance that someone is suffering the same as me and has some advice.
Thanks in advance.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2018, 11:07 PM

Re: continuous colds and chest infections

Hi Lion Queen I had a couple of similar years to yourself with continuous chest infection and finally contracted a condition which is resistant to many antibiotics .
After numerous tests I was diagnosed with a chest condition and prescribed an inhaler 'Quvar 'which made me feel dreadful . A family member who is a nurse suggested I asked for Seretide an inhaler (which is also prescribed for COPD) I have been much better since being on this medication with hardly any chest infections.

I try to avoid lots of people so shop early, walk at least a mile every day and practice controlled breathing which also helps my heart condition.

Eating a healthy diet is better than taking vitamin supplements . I eat lots of vegetables/fruit/nuts/ fish and make everything myself from scratch including bread.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2018, 11:55 PM

Are you getting enough Vit D?

Most people think they need C to fight a cold but its D you need

Ive been on Vit B and D since I took the flu two years back and whilst Ive had the odd sniffle, haven't succumbed to a cold since
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2018, 11:59 PM

Lion Queen, this time of year seems to catch us each time. I have had a couple of years when a cold develops into a chest infection but also a horrid cough that would keep me coughing all night. Not during the daytime, strangely enough. It went on for weeks, and almost as soon as it went, it came back again another couple of times.
This seems to be the pattern fro many whom I know, it just returns two or three times, dragging us down.
The last two winters although it has found me, it has been a much weaker strain, or else I have built up my immune system.
Just getting over this winter's episode, which has not been too bad. I find the best is to get into bed and forget everyone around you. Sleep, and if needed have more sleep. At night I take one 'Nurofen' and that helps to stop the coughing (must take the inflammation away) and I sleep much better, for however many nights it's needed.
I hope you pick up soon, which I'm sure you will. Warm blackcurrant juice to drink is nice at such times too.
No other suggestions , I'm sorry.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2018, 01:07 AM

I'd agree about vit D and a healthy diet. But in my experience there is also a strong psychological connection to the immune system. As long as you don't have COPd then feeling positive and relaxed can help fight chest infections. But it doesn't cure it overnight. SiL's mum had foot massages when she contracted pneumonia when in France. This was part of the French health system. Massage and essential oils are all part of my view of relaxation therapy. I used to get these all the time when I was in my 20s and it was only when I pampered myself and changed my diet that I started to recover.

I can also recommend the following easy to make syrup as it really helped my elderly mum who had a bad chest infection last month :

https://www.livestrong.com/article/5...-cough-relief/
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2018, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
I find the best is to get into bed and forget everyone around you. Sleep, and if needed have more sleep.
That's exactly what I would recommend. Forget your troubles/responsibilities and focus on your own needs. Be kind to yourself and just immerse yourself in total comfort, warmth and good thoughts. Soup is the best food.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2018, 10:28 AM

Just spoken to my dentist's receptionist. She has had hers on and off for 8 weeks now. She's been given antibiotics but they have had little impact.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2018, 10:38 AM

Which reminds me, today I'm making another brew of ginger and lemon seived yuk, with organic honey last thing yummy and meant to boost my immune system.

Also 20+ drops of Echinacea every day.
Echinacea is backed by the Lancet I understand!!

Lion you might find this recent thread useful...

http://www.over50sforum.com/showthre...=Immune+system
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2018, 04:16 PM

Hi Lion Queen

I'll summarise my points as they've been made many times before in other threads like this one.

1. DO NOT take paracetamols or Aspirins or any products with these in when you are suffering from these colds and viruses. It seems counterintuitive but you will be obstructing your body when you take them and very much prolonguing your condition and suffering. These tablets will force any fever or temperature you have down, and that is NOT what you want. The fever is there, created purposefully by your own body, to stop bacteria/viruses replicating. If you prevent your body from being able to do that then the bugs will quickly overrun your system.
Let your fever run, let your body do it's thing.
Beware of all medications therefore including flu capsules, cough syrups and so on that might contain paracetamol or aspirin.

2. Try not to reach for conventional antibiotics unless your need is desperate. Favour natural antibiotics like Grapefruit Seed Extract which won't destroy your good gut flora.

3. Get plenty of lemon and ginger down you. Not bloody Lemsips and the like. You need REAL lemons and REAL fresh ginger, blitzed up in a blender and taken with hot water and honey.

4. Get plenty of sunshine your best source of Vitamin D.

5. Pack in the vitamin supplements and always get the real thing from real foods.

6. Keep sugar to a minimium. Cut it out of tea/coffee.

7. Stay away from the Flu Vaccinations they are snake oil

ATB
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2018, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Hi Lion Queen

I'll summarise my points as they've been made many times before in other threads like this one.

1. DO NOT take paracetamols or Aspirins or any products with these in when you are suffering from these colds and viruses. It seems counterintuitive but you will be obstructing your body when you take them and very much prolonguing your condition and suffering. These tablets will force any fever or temperature you have down, and that is NOT what you want. The fever is there, created purposefully by your own body, to stop bacteria/viruses replicating. If you prevent your body from being able to do that then the bugs will quickly overrun your system.
Let your fever run, let your body do it's thing.
Beware of all medications therefore including flu capsules, cough syrups and so on that might contain paracetamol or aspirin.

2. Try not to reach for conventional antibiotics unless your need is desperate. Favour natural antibiotics like Grapefruit Seed Extract which won't destroy your good gut flora.

3. Get plenty of lemon and ginger down you. Not bloody Lemsips and the like. You need REAL lemons and REAL fresh ginger, blitzed up in a blender and taken with hot water and honey.

4. Get plenty of sunshine your best source of Vitamin D.

5. Pack in the vitamin supplements and always get the real thing from real foods.

6. Keep sugar to a minimium. Cut it out of tea/coffee.

7. Stay away from the Flu Vaccinations they are snake oil

ATB
Very interesting posts. Thank you, I shall keep these in mind.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top