Join for free
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2018, 06:59 AM

which planets are these

It was very bright around 5am this morning and needed a pee. (no not out the window)

Looking out the window I spotted something that appeared to be flashing a red light but not moving
This was looking south eastwards about 30 degree up in the sky
managed to get this with my little camcorder

Best seen magnified on your computer (Ctrl +)

I presume the red planet to be mars but not being up on astromony i don't have a clue on the white one

Any ideas????
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2018, 10:57 AM

Re: which planets are these

I would say Jupiter. Maybe Juno.

https://theskylive.com/mars-tracker
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2018, 12:35 PM

Don't know what planet it is Realspeed, but I never knew you could magnify the screen by pressing Ctrl/+ Thanks for that excellent tip.....
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2018, 12:37 PM

Thanks Fogey I didn't have a clue
DragonsRealm
Montgomery,Alabama
DragonsRealm is male  DragonsRealm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2018, 01:14 PM

It's Venus. as you focus it gets blurrier.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2018, 01:47 PM

Dont know if this would help.

https://astronomynow.com/uk-sky-chart/
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

07-01-2018, 03:39 PM

Seeing it was taken hand held through glass using my little camcorder I was surprised I got anything at all. No way could i see the red planet with the naked eye
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2018, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Don't know what planet it is Realspeed, but I never knew you could magnify the screen by pressing Ctrl/+ Thanks for that excellent tip.....
Neither did I but it didn't really work.

Ah. Got it now. Press several times.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2018, 03:51 PM

Maybe:

https://www.space.com/16149-night-sky.html

Saturday, January 6 - pre-dawn - Mars close to Jupiter

In the pre-dawn eastern sky on Saturday, January 6, Mars' eastward orbital motion will cause it to pass very close to distant Jupiter. On both Saturday and Sunday morning, observers in the Americas will see the two planets separated by about one-third of a degree (less than a full moon's diameter). In a backyard telescope, the planets, plus Jupiter's four Galilean moons, will fit within the field of view of a low power eyepiece (orange circle).
Follow link for picture .....

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top