Join for free
Page 23 of 35 « First < 13 21 22 23 24 25 33 > Last »
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2018, 12:02 PM

Re: Do You Ever Feel Embarrassed At The Rudeness Shown To Others?

That doesn't sadly surprise me clumsy, many are just too wrapped up in themselves to see what they say and do affects others. We aren't the only nation like that but we do seem to be louder than some others at it.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2018, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
I've often been very embarrassed by the remarks and behaviour of British people abroad towards local people. Often downright patronising or downright rude. Here in Spain for example...."if it wasn't for us you'd still be riding donkeys", or "they can all speak English, they just don't want to", and worse, it can be seen and heard in shops and restaurants virtually every day.

In a hotel in West Africa. We were sitting with others waiting for our transport to the airport, new people arrived to stay at the hotel, one woman carrying a fur coat and dripping with jewellery went to the reception desk, banged her hand and demanded to see the manager. The manager came, an African man, Mr Polo. Mr Polo asked if he could help, the woman again demanded to see the manager, he told her he was the manager. The woman was speechless for a moment, then she said, "if I had been told there would be so many black people here I would never have come".

You could have cut the silence in the reception area with a knife. One lady who was sat with us, got up and went to the woman, this lady was on a frequent visit, she used to be a nurse at the clinic in the nearby village and returned often to visit the children she had seen growing up. Very calmly she told the rude woman that she was the most unpleasant person she had ever come across and suggested that in future she took her holidays in England. We all then had to leave so what happened after that I don't know.

Sometimes when abroad people have been, not exactly rude to us, but very offhand, simply because we are British. The British, believe it or not, are not the most popular people around the world, and quite often it isn't difficult to understand why.

I have never knowingly been rude to anyone, other than my immediate family, at least not since becoming an adult. Like sarcasm, which no doubt has it's place somewhere amongst the realms of comedy, I don't see rudeness or sarcasm as anything clever, only with people you know extremely well and who know you well too. Both appear to be signs of insecurity or uncertainty, but that's life and we all have to deal with it in our own ways.
I can vouch for that Clumsy ( see my post re Spain this year) I noticed it much more this time and tried at times to pass as South American as i have an accent( unfortunately the Spanish aren't too keen on South Americans either as they can be rude !)
I find some British people abroad quite rude and ignorant .
The story re Africa was horrendous i am surprised that woman got away with it , best she never goes to the Caribbean someone will thump her. ( although they can be very rude there )
Re sarcasm I quite like it in its place which as you say is best with people you know well .
Although sometimes cant resist a little on OFF
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2018, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Can of worms open...
Ah, yes ... reading all this is jogging my memory now.
Think I'll just try and hide my own dirty laundry and watch everyone else's getting washed in public.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2018, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I can vouch for that Clumsy ( see my post re Spain this year) I noticed it much more this time and tried at times to pass as South American as i have an accent( unfortunately the Spanish aren't too keen on South Americans either as they can be rude !)
I find some British people abroad quite rude and ignorant .
The story re Africa was horrendous i am surprised that woman got away with it , best she never goes to the Caribbean someone will thump her. ( although they can be very rude there )
Re sarcasm I quite like it in its place which as you say is best with people you know well .
Although sometimes cant resist a little on OFF
I have to agree, sometimes it is VERY difficult and requires quite some time sitting on hands.
DragonsRealm
Montgomery,Alabama
DragonsRealm is male  DragonsRealm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2018, 12:55 PM

Well I almost felt sorry for the guy from Australia that was eaten alive by my Hero's on a topic one time , he said something about pulling over and helping a lady Only if she was Cute, Then it was ON. I never laughed so hard in my life, That was some funny s%#@. Like I said I almost felt sorry for the guy, ALMOST.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2018, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I agree JBR! I have no problem with people stating their opinion on Brexit, but verbally attacking another member who has different views is against the rules!You should only attack the post, not the poster!
Look at this:-

"If you didn't vote Brexit because you are stupid, thick, xenophobic and a Little Englander, then the only other reasons I can think of are a vindictiveness towards the young or a selfish willingness to put your principles on independence above other people's well being."

It sounds like another remainer who was obsessed with beating the Brexit vote!.... if you know who I mean!
I know! That is the very post I linked to!

People who respond to discussions in that way lose all credibility in my opinion, and their arguments lose any value.

I understood that 'ad hominem' posts were not permitted on this site, or at least discouraged.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2018, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Julie my biggest fear is that leaving was decided by a democratic vote, so if anybody finds a way not to leave, then we no longer live in a democratic country.... and the government know that!
Again, my thoughts exactly and I have said as much a number of times on here.

We live in a democracy and if any democratic (by the people) decision should be overturned by those in power, then this country is no longer a democracy.

People have fought, and some given their lives, in order to obtain a democracy. Should that be lost it would send us back to the mediaeval days where the King and his peers effectively rule the country and ordinary people are subject to his rule without any come-back.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

09-01-2018, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
How about this for a case of rudeness.

My daughter worked on the salad bar in Sainsbury's whilst at uni doing her degree. Dealing with a very difficult customer one day the woman insisted on dealing with a manager she called my daughter a mere shop assistant and that was why my daughter was stood there in an overall and she was in a cashmere coat.!

My daughter came home later quite upset, I was so mad if I could have found that woman I would have stuffed that cashmere coat down her throat!
You didn't say, but I sincerely hope that the manager supported your daughter fully.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

09-01-2018, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
I've often been very embarrassed by the remarks and behaviour of British people abroad towards local people.
Ah yes. The British abroad.

I think it is important that more British people make the effort to learn the language of foreign places they visit. For example, I can speak Italian passably: you just have to shout and add an 'o' to the end of each word.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2018, 01:33 PM

Just one corneto........................

Page 23 of 35 « First < 13 21 22 23 24 25 33 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top