Join for free
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 10:27 AM

Suffering fools

What do you think of the expression "I don't suffer fools gladly" ? What do you think it says about a person who uses it? I have heard some say it indicates a highly intelligent person who is very highly educated, extremely knowledgeable about just about everything and easily bored by the mundane. And I have heard others say that it indicates an intolerant, arrogant individual who acts like they are above everyone else but secretly feels inadequate. A person who is happy enough to be unpleasant, dismissive or even hostile to others but are rather upset when people are unpleasant back. What do you think?
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 10:45 AM

Re: Suffering fools

I reckon as human beings we are all similar but so very, very different that there are bound to be the two different types of people, therefore also the resulting two differing views of those people.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 10:49 AM

I think the expression indicates rudeness and intolerance.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 11:29 AM

I see it as saying the person has no patience with someone of less intelligence than themselves or they don't tolerate what they see as stupidity in others. I think these such people can be intimidating to shy and nervous people and can make them feel very stupid.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I think the expression indicates rudeness and intolerance.
I disagree. When someone says that he/she does not suffer fools gladly, it is almost always said to yet a 3rd person and out of hearing range of the fool.

Case in point. We all have heard people make disparaging remarks about people of color. For example, white supremacists, neo-Nazis routinely put down non-whites, Jews etc.

Such people do not deserve my respect, politeness or tolerance.

When I was in college, I met a fellow and he became my friend. One day a few months after meeting him he made a remark about "NASTY GOOKS" (Asians). I immediately asked him if he was referring to my ex-girlfriend and my daughter ?(Japanese). He got a shocked look on his face but did not apologize, and I simply walked away from him never to speak to him again. He was a fool and I did not suffer his company.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
He was a fool and I did not suffer his company.
How would define fool?
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
How would define fool?

"A person with little or no judgement, wisdom, or common sense."
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 12:09 PM

I disagree. When someone says that he/she does not suffer fools gladly, it is almost always said to yet a 3rd person and out of hearing range of the fool.

Case in point. We all have heard people make disparaging remarks about people of color. For example, white supremacists, neo-Nazis routinely put down non-whites, Jews etc.

Such people do not deserve my respect, politeness or tolerance.

When I was in college, I met a fellow and he became my friend. One day a few months after meeting him he made a remark about "NASTY GOOKS" (Asians). I immediately asked him if he was referring to my ex-girlfriend and my daughter ?(Japanese). He got a shocked look on his face but did not apologize, and I simply walked away from him never to speak to him again. He was a fool and I did not suffer his company.
I suppose this is another way to look at it which means there are more ways than one to look at 'not suffering fools'
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 12:13 PM

It obituaries "he did not suffer fools gladly" is a polite way of saying "he was an overbearing, cranky pr**k that everybody avoided".
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK

16-01-2020, 12:14 PM

"A person with little or no judgement, wisdom, or common sense."
I'm thinking people with learning difficulties can lack these, that doesn't make them fools. I think to define the term is a difficult one.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top