Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 07:32 PM

Dementia

I’ve just had my training on dementia awareness

I just have to say, enjoy every moment of your life now, take time to be with your family, look at the wonders of nature, enjoy life..
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 07:55 PM

Re: Dementia

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
I’ve just had my training on dementia awareness

I just have to say, enjoy every moment of your life now, take time to be with your family, look at the wonders of nature, enjoy life..
Good advice Primus, unfortunately dementia can creep up on a person before you realise it.

How is your new job going?
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Good advice Primus, unfortunately dementia can creep up on a person before you realise it.

How is your new job going?
Fine thanks mags, Settling in well, been decorating a few rooms the last couple of days, had to go over to another home in Cheshire, last Monday as their maintenance man has had to go back to Australia for a family emergency, so I’ll be going there once a week for the next month,
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Fine thanks mags, Settling in well, been decorating a few rooms the last couple of days, had to go over to another home in Cheshire, last Monday as their maintenance man has had to go back to Australia for a family emergency, so I’ll be going there once a week for the next month,
Pleased to hear it's going well, sounds like you're doing a good job there.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
But there are things you can do to try and prevent dementia.
https://www.foodforthebrain.org/
Primus1
York

16-01-2020, 11:27 PM

Unfortunately more women than men get the disease
under 65 you have a 1 in 1000 chance of getting it, that increases to 1 in 100, between 60 and 80, then 1 in 5 over 80, in both men and women
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 07:56 AM

I took the test on the link I posted (above) and fortunately am above average for my age, but there are things I can do to reduce my risk even further - I need more B vitamins, check my homocysteine level.........high dose B6 and B12, folic acid and Omega 3.

That website sends a reminder every year to retake the test and monitor progress or decline!
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->

That website sends a reminder every year to retake the test and monitor progress or decline!
And what help is it to be told you're in decline? There's nothing you can do about it. My husband has Alzheimer's and he doesn't need any tests to show he's declining.

I ask you again - what's the point in knowing when there's nothing can be done about it?

Anybody who's had a parent/sibling with this condition (as I have - my mum) may think they know all about it but I can tell you it's on a different scale altogether when it's your life partner. It affects your life totally & completely and makes you very afraid of the future.
Lindyloo
isle of wight

17-01-2020, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
And what help is it to be told you're in decline? There's nothing you can do about it. My husband has Alzheimer's and he doesn't need any tests to show he's declining.

I ask you again - what's the point in knowing when there's nothing can be done about it?
As previous stated, there are preventative recommendations and it mentions a blood test "which is a key predictor of risk". With so many people developing Alzheimers and dementia, there must be a huge amount of research being done. Despite that, my GP has never suggested specific blood tests or vitamin supplements, so this weblink is invaluable.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
As previous stated, there are preventative recommendations and it mentions a blood test "which is a key predictor of risk". With so many people developing Alzheimers and dementia, there must be a huge amount of research being done. Despite that, my GP has never suggested specific blood tests or vitamin supplements, so this weblink is invaluable.

Yes there's a lot of research but a cure hasn't been found.

So what is beneficial in taking a blood test that proves you're 'at risk' it if there's nothing that can be done to prevent it?

Until there is a cure, tests are useless!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top