Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2019, 06:35 AM

Re: Chatting at the checkout.

This happened to me a couple of weeks ago in Tesco .
Two old ladies had just finished their shop
We unloaded our trolley .
They kept chatting . Then they told the girl they were on holidays and needed directions .she gave them long and complicated instructions .
Meanwhile people at the next till were zooming past .
If we hadn’t had unloaded out stuff I would have moved.
Then they started admiring the girls nail polish ( a vile shade of green )
It was the last straw .
Oh come on I exclaimed in exasperation.
The till girl was totally indignant.
But faced with my obvious anger slung the stuff through with suppressed fury. .The two old girls sloped off without a word of apology .
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2019, 07:35 AM

The ones that really annoy me are the ones who wait until all their shopping mountain is through - then begin to pack - and only then search handbags for money/cards etc.,

I have money ready and either pack as it comes through or fling it back in the trolley to pack away from the queues.

People do the same at 'bus stops - they wait until they are standing on the 'bus before searching for money/tickets etc., Drives me mad!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2019, 07:45 AM

Yes, folks with no sense of urgency are mildly annoying, but, folks who are in some form of distress need cutting a bit of slack.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2019, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Yes, folks with no sense of urgency are mildly annoying, but, folks who are in some form of distress need cutting a bit of slack.
I would agree with that, Spitty, and would offer help in such cases - but the majority of the ones I see about the place are just thoughtless and/or disorganised.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2019, 08:01 AM

Those who are commenting about idly chatting in this way should, for the exact opposite, experience shopping at Aldi. There the shopper hardly has time to pack and pay for their shopping, before the checkout person is serving the next customer, it's quite an experience I can tell you!

When actually shopping some customers were rushing around, I saw several women actually running! When it comes to the checkouts they are smaller, shopping has to be packed quickly as there's nowhere to put anything, other than in the bag and then into the trolley for large amounts.

I became totally exasperated with poor quality fruit and veg. at Tesco every week. Rotting fruit was actually found on the shelves and even if carefully sorted, it went rotten within a few days of purchase. On third-party advice being 'the turnover at Aldi is greater so fruit and veg. fresher and cheaper', I gave the local Aldi a try. The fruit and veg. was definitely fresher and much cheaper than Tesco. While I can keep up the pace I will shop there for fruit and veg. at least if nothing else.

Tesco have had their chance and now, after several chances, blown it in a big way with me!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

17-09-2019, 08:05 AM

At least Aldi and Lidl provide their customers with a packing table so, although they rush you through their check-outs you can then pack in your own time/method at the table. Good idea, I think, certainly saves time at the check-outs.
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2019, 08:47 AM

I like to have a little banter with the girls on the checkout. Yesterday when the girl told me how much my shopping came to I said "I thought today it was all free" Quick as flash she said "No, that was yesterday"
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2019, 09:00 AM

I remember my Mother in Law used to toddle off to her little local supermarket everyday....it was a social thing for her and she chatted to everyone...sometimes she would go for just two carrots

I might have felt differently when I was working and busier but if I had seen the old chap giving his Yorkshire Pud advice I hope I would have been patient....no guarantee's of that though
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2019, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
At least Aldi and Lidl provide their customers with a packing table so, although they rush you through their check-outs you can then pack in your own time/method at the table. Good idea, I think, certainly saves time at the check-outs.
No sign of that at the Aldi where I shopped, the customer in front of me was packing her bags as the items were rung up and then putting the full bags on the floor. Others at nearby tills were putting their full bags into their trollies!

I guess that is how life is developing these days so if unable to keep up then it's time to 'keep out of the kitchen' as they saying goes!

Good quality fresh fruit and veg. at reasonable cost makes this acceptable to me, providing I can keep up the fast pace. Once I reach much later years I just might have to find a place to shop at a more sedate pace, or get someone else to do it – time will tell on that one!
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2019, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by John ->
There is no way he could have done this at Aldi or Lidl. Your stuff comes flying down at about a 100 miles an hour from the checkout operator. I think they would have a fit, if you decided to pass the time of day with them!
Oh I needed a good chuckle this morning.
Thank you

Patience is something most of us lack.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top