Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2019, 11:42 AM

Thoughts of Christmas past

When I was about six years old, it came the time at school for the Nativity play.

I so wanted to play Mary, but Marie said I had blonde hair, and Mary had dark hair, and all the class nodded.
I frowned at Marie, she was always nasty to me, she said I was weird because I went to reading and writing lessons with the eight-year-olds, because I was more advanced. Michael put chewing gum in her hair for being so mean.

I shouted out, that I thought the whole Nativity story was unfair, cos it had more boys than girls in the story.
The teacher, Miss Higgings glared at me, and said: "Put your hand up, if you need to speak!"
I muttered to myself, I was right huh.

So, Marie was chosen to be Mary, I was chosen to be an angel.
I wondered if angels were girls, and I hated wearing those wire halo things on my head, let alone the feather wings that made me sneeze.

The night of the performance arrived, the school hall was packed with parents and grandparents.
Backstage the nervous children waited.
I saw Andrew trying to draw on the doll that was to be baby Jesus, and told Miss. He kicked me!

The three wise men got caught up in the shepherds' fake campfire, and galloped around the stage, with it in tow. Marie who was Mary laughed so much her fake donkey fell over.

But the Angels came on stage, and all the audience sang Hark the Herold Angels along with the sweet voices of us children. Although I needed a wee through most of it.

Share one of your memories of Christmas past.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2019, 12:08 PM

Re: Thoughts of Christmas past

OOH! I bet you were a right pain at school, SP!

I was a shepherd with a cloth tied around my head and holding a lamb by the neck in the crook of my arm.

I have a photograph of it somewhere. B&W, of course.

Mary was a girl all the boys fancied, though I can't remember her name.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2019, 12:34 PM

Remember going Carol singing some noticed that we were singing alternative lyrics, some did not.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2019, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
Remember going Carol singing some noticed that we were singing alternative lyrics, some did not.
Yes!
While shepherds washed their socks by night,
All seated in the rain.....I had better not carry on.

I really don't remember much about past Christmases. It was a very long time ago.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2019, 12:54 PM

Christmas 1971 I was working in London.

I was rostered to work night shift Christmas day and Boxing Day.

My flat mates all buggered off to their families and my girlfriend at the time went to my rellies on the south coast.

Christmas Eve I suddenly realised I had nothing for Christmas dinner so I scoured the local shops and supermarkets. The best I could come up with was a pathetic chicken the size of a pigeon, some stuffing, potatoes and carrots.

Anyway after my shift I came home to my cold, empty house on Brixton Hill and, after a short sleep, I prepared my Christmas dinner - it was awful I didn't even have gravy.

As I sat down alone to eat my tiny Christmas dinner alone John Lennon's "So this is Christmas" came on the radio.

I have hated that bloody song ever since.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2019, 12:54 PM

I remember my friend and I going Carol singing, we went up the posh end and made a fortune. I remember one old lady opened the door and when we stopped singing she made us carry on, I could tell she loved listening to us, she rewarded us well although I can't remember how much, just I have always remembered how that lady enjoyed us children singing Silent Night.

I also remember waking up in the very early hours of Christmas morning and it was pitch black, I could feel something heavyish pressing on my feet and I was petrified, when I plucked up the courage to investigate it was the biggest white teddy bear. I adored that Teddy even though he gave me a fright. I can still see him now, awwwwwwwww thanks for making me reminisce, wonderful memories.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2019, 02:37 PM

I have disliked Christmas as long as I can remember, from 16 months of age when my Mother died it was always spent in someone else's house and my main memory was of feeling I must be grateful and 'beholden' to family members who had taken me in.
Other memories..
..my great aunt killed one of my beloved chickens to eat for Chrismas lunch .
..walking in the snow to a school Chrismas party and a neighbours dog called Sooty getting run over, I cried all the way to and through the party .
..chilblains

Adulthood and no improvement to tales of woe, I won't continue with my depressing stories...
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2019, 03:02 PM

I loved Christmas when my children were little . Although there wasnt much money I saved all year to do my best for them . A real tree with home made bits and sparkly Bob's. Paper chains across the ceiling . I was so excited for them even I couldn't sleep . They had very little but I kept the magic alive.

Life moved on and I married again . My grown up kids would come and stay . House decorated, baking done for days everything home made with love. Life was happy . Mulled wine and log fires . Pure magic .

Life moved on and I live alone . I dont like Christmas anymore havnt done for 18 years . I go through the motions to keep my kids happy on Christmas day . I enjoy cooking their lunch in their homes for them ( if i didnt we probably wouldn't eat ) . No one comes to my home so I dont even put a decoration up . After the festivities of the couple of days I go home to myself .

I remember I miss my mum , I remember I miss my children and I remember what once was . I miss those who have died and those I miss.

Christmas is a very emotional time for me . So no I dont like it. I live it because of my grandchildren and see the excitement and joy in their eyes as I try to keep the magic alive for them
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2019, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Life moved on and I live alone . I dont like Christmas anymore havnt done for 18 years .No one comes to my home so I dont even put a decoration up . After the festivities of the couple of days I go home to myself .
We're not putting decorations up this year either,
but that's because I'm a miserable old bugger.

Christmas? Bah, humbug.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2019, 03:30 PM

The only thing I can remember about the School Christmas Concert is being aged around 9 years old and chosen to be the orchestra Conductor for the choir. (this consisted of the whole class singing but the front row of children playing the Triangles and Tambourines.
I remember being so excited about being chosen to conduct the whole class, We really practised hard for the big event. I was told that when the curtain was raised, I had to be facing the class ready to 'conduct' with me waving a drum stick around pretending that I knew exactly what I was doing. (hadn't got a clue!)

Cometh the big night, full of excitement, all of us dressed in our smartest grey and white uniforms, I faced the class as instructed, I heard the swishing sound of the curtain being raised behind me and the teacher prompting both singing and playing of the instruments, I couldn't see any of the audience but I was still nervous with my back to them and with a gulp, I gaily started waving my conductor's baton (drumstick) as we proceeded through the two carols.

The problem was that at the finish, the parents broke into rapturous applause but the one thing that the teacher hadn't told me (not even once) was to turn round and take a bow! so I stood there still facing the class until the curtain came down again. I didn't even get the chance to see the audience or wave to Mum and Dad!! Sigh!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top