Join for free
Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2019, 05:44 PM

Re: Boris Johnson plots 'Revenge'

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
I think that it is fair to say that this has been the way it is for quite a long time.

Most big Companies had "Lobbyists", who were at the HoC very frequently, way back in the post war years.

What do we think that these Lobbyists are for?

What do we think that they do?

They do the same as lobbyists from greenpeace, doctors sans frontiers, children in need etc. You have to promote your case.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2019, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
I think that it is fair to say that this has been the way it is for quite a long time.

Most big Companies had "Lobbyists", who were at the HoC very frequently, way back in the post war years.

What do we think that these Lobbyists are for?

What do we think that they do?

I suspect andrea leadsom has been "lobbyied"?
https://www.theguardian.com/business...-by-us-company
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2019, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
So people have complained about unelected bureaucrats in Brussels pulling the strings but you think that in the UK they should be celebrated?

Cummings is a SPaD not an MP
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

21-12-2019, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
So people have complained about unelected bureaucrats in Brussels pulling the strings but you think that in the UK they should be celebrated?
Cummings may not be an elected mp, only an unelected advisor, but he sure is running your government:

Wallace (MoD) also confirmed reports that Johnson’s chief adviser, Dominic Cummings, will be involved in a reorganisation of defence procurement after the strategist wrote a number of scathing blogs about the MoD before joining the government.

He said: “Dom is full of amazing ideas where he has spotted loads of improvement in infrastructure and technology procurement and he has spotted how that as our technology horizon changes, how we procure has to happen differently and I am incredibly supportive of what he is talking about.”
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2019, 10:32 PM

Well from what I've seen & heard, our armed forces/MoD/weapons procurement could do with a dammned good shakeup anyway

Oh, and just to throw this in for good measure -

I see that our Prime Minister has been visiting British troops in Estonia, serving them their Christmas dinner and joining in the fun & banter

Can anyone really imagine Jeremy Corbyn doing that?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2019, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
One of my first worries about Brexit was that The British Tory Government would no longer be held to account by the EU, they will change things so that they can never be challenged or voted out.
This seems to be the beginning of my fears coming true.
Isn't that's what the shadow cabinet is for TessA?
Labour are doing such a crap job though and need to listen to their constituents and shape up.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

21-12-2019, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by zuludog ->
Well from what I've seen & heard, our armed forces/MoD/weapons procurement could do with a dammned good shakeup anyway

Oh, and just to throw this in for good measure -

I see that our Prime Minister has been visiting British troops in Estonia, serving them their Christmas dinner and joining in the fun & banter

Can anyone really imagine Jeremy Corbyn doing that?
No. Jeremy corbyn would probably have pulled back those troops and let the EU defend their own outer frontier against the russians. Now british boys and girls are away from home at christmas.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2019, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Look out! Boris Johnson is planniing ‘’revenge’ on the Judiciary.

Apparently.he used the Queen’s speech to announce plans for a shake-up by introducing a ‘’constitution, democracy and rights commission’’ aiming to ‘’improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the criminal justice process’’

In plain speak, Boris is seeking to get even with the ‘’Remain elites’’ in the Supreme Court after being humiliated in September by their ruling against his prorogation as being unlawful, thwarting his Brexit plans.

Spider woman, Lady Hale,said in her farewell speech as outgoing Supreme Court President, that ‘’Judges have not been appointed for party political reasons in this country since at least the Second World War’’ Hmm. perhaps she and her cohorts, who were originally set up by wannabe King Blair to work alongside the EU, should have thought of that before making their ruling!!?

Looks likely they will in future be chosen politically rather than by recommendation to Parliament and the Queen.

The BBC’s Newsnight quoted a Whitehall source as saying changes to the way the Supreme Court works will be at the heart of the reforms.

Also, Anti Brexit wreckers such as Gina Miller will no longer be able to use the courts at every opportunity in order to thwart Brexit, as she threatens to do.

Your thoughts on this please...
I'm very pleased, and relieved, to hear that Boris is doing something about unelected judges trying to overrule Parliament.

I understood that Parliament was sovereign in our democratic country. In other words, our elected government is entitled to create laws, assuming they have a majority agreement in the Commons.

Recently, the Supreme Court attempted to overrule such decisions.

I'm not sure about judges being 'chosen politically', though. Does that mean that the government should be free to choose judges?

I'd prefer judges to be elected by the people, just as our MPs are. Perhaps a similar frequency of five years, or maybe less. In addition, a record should be kept of trials and sentences for each judge so that the public can see who has been over-lenient, just as we occasionally see reported in the press.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

22-12-2019, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I'm very pleased, and relieved, to hear that Boris is doing something about unelected judges trying to overrule Parliament.
There are specific rules and laws for the acts and proceedings of parliament, e.g. the Constitutional Reform and Governance Act 2010. Who do you suggest should uphold these rules, parliament itself?
In which case you are in favour of determining your own fine in case the police catches you exceeding the speed limit. Don't you see the ridiculnousness of your proposal?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2019, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Cummings is a SPaD not an MP
Yes I just said he is not an MP but an unelected bureaucrat who is pulling the strings, just what you and others have said you hate about Brussels. The tail wagging the dog.

Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top