Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 11:53 AM

A Letter to Mark Francois

I sent this to Mark Francois earlier today. If i get a reply, I'll provide an update, but having reflected on Big Ben's Bongs, Brexit day and what it's about, I felt a bit emotional and compelled to write something with a gammon flavour to it.

Hi Mark,

There is currently over 140K of crowd funding in the pot for Brexit day and although Big Ben is out of action, there is a much more appropriate way of celebrating this historic day. For 3.5 years, London has become irrelevant when it comes to Brexit, it represents the status quo, remain, and millionaire funded, anti-democratic stunts to overturn the will of the “little people". For way too long, our country has been represented all over the world exclusively by using monuments in our capital city. Brexit day should let the world see global Britain as national Britain …a long look outside of London, where we take our deep breath of independence and showcase to the world our vibrant North with our beautiful coastlines, the Yorkshire Dales, Peak District, the wonderful landscapes of the Lakes and, of course, the glorious valleys and hills of Wales.

Let’s start by getting this right !

The Brexit votes came from Northern heartlands, the places where decade after decade constituencies of all colours have been ignored, while the people watch the money drip into the capital year on year.

Again and again, the capital sticks up two fingers to the north, and our coastal towns and yet, even before Brexit has happened, it’s a case of “here we go again” where our historic event we worked so hard to achieve gets centre stage in the rich remain-centric capital, far away from Brexiteers, and then we panic because "Big Ben” won't bong.

Let’s hear it for the north where the Brexit voters live, the coastal towns, the small businesses in Leicester, Coventry, Stoke on Trent, Manchester, Leeds, Newcastle, Durham. Let’s get the 140K of public donations and bring the party to them …. let’s have fireworks from the Tyne Bridge, and the Liver Building, let’s light up Leeds Town Hall and the Crooked Spire in Chesterfield. Let’s have a party in Manchester with a great band, a flotilla of fishing boats round Clacton-on-Sea, Whitby and Whitehaven.

Brexit day is not for rich London remainers. It’s for people who work 3 hours overtime each week so their family can have a holiday, for those that are on a council waiting list and want their money spent on housing in their country, it’s for people who vote labour but held their noses and took a leap of faith in Boris Johnson, for those who’s High Streets have been reduced to betting shops, charity shops and abandoned pubs, and for those who finally believe that the government is finally listening to them.

As the song goes, "Now they see what will be, blinded eyes to see ….. for whom the bell tolls” … or,in other words, a silent Big Ben represents the silent majority and the real party is with those who earned it.

Please spend wisely, and thanks for reading.

... Let's see if he replies ... I doubt it, but anyway, "spleen vented", my inner northerner cleansed and half an hour killed this morning.

I do like a good rant now and again.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 12:24 PM

Re: A Letter to Mark Francois

I like it
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
I sent this to Mark Francois earlier today. If i get a reply, I'll provide an update, but having reflected on Big Ben's Bongs, Brexit day and what it's about, I felt a bit emotional and compelled to write something with a gammon flavour to it.

Hi Mark,

There is currently over 140K of crowd funding in the pot for Brexit day and although Big Ben is out of action, there is a much more appropriate way of celebrating this historic day. For 3.5 years, London has become irrelevant when it comes to Brexit, it represents the status quo, remain, and millionaire funded, anti-democratic stunts to overturn the will of the “little people". For way too long, our country has been represented all over the world exclusively by using monuments in our capital city. Brexit day should let the world see global Britain as national Britain …a long look outside of London, where we take our deep breath of independence and showcase to the world our vibrant North with our beautiful coastlines, the Yorkshire Dales, Peak District, the wonderful landscapes of the Lakes and, of course, the glorious valleys and hills of Wales.

The Brexit votes came from Northern heartlands, the places where decade after decade constituencies of all colours have been ignored, while the people watch the money drip into the capital year on year.

Again and again, the capital sticks up two fingers to the north, and our coastal towns and yet, even before Brexit has happened, it’s a case of “here we go again” where our historic event we worked so hard to achieve gets centre stage in the rich remain-centric capital, far away from Brexiteers, and then we panic because "Big Ben” won't bong.

Let’s hear it for the north where the Brexit voters live, the coastal towns, the small businesses in Leicester, Coventry, Stoke on Trent, Manchester, Leeds, Newcastle, Durham. Let’s get the 140K of public donations and bring the party to them …. let’s have fireworks from the Tyne Bridge, and the Liver Building, let’s light up Leeds Town Hall and the Crooked Spire in Chesterfield. Let’s have a party in Manchester with a great band, a flotilla of fishing boats round Clacton-on-Sea, Whitby and Whitehaven.

Brexit day is not for rich London remainers. It’s for people who work 3 hours overtime each week so their family can have a holiday, for those that are on a council waiting list and want their money spent on housing in their country, it’s for people who vote labour but held their noses and took a leap of faith in Boris Johnson, for those who’s High Streets have been reduced to betting shops, charity shops and abandoned pubs, and for those who finally believe that the government is finally listening to them.

As the song goes, "Now they see what will be, blinded eyes to see ….. for whom the bell tolls” … or,in other words, a silent Big Ben represents the silent majority and the real party is with those who earned it.

... Let's see if he replies ... I doubt it, but anyway, "spleen vented", my inner northerner cleansed and half an hour killed this morning.

Well said Bread! I think you covered it all?
As you say lets hope you get a reply? And even better, some action!
Imo its utter BS. about Big Ben as it worked ok on new years eve!
They just have to give the contractors the day off!

Donkeyman!
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 12:58 PM

Excellent letter Bread, I hope Francoise takes the time to respond but I wouldn’t hold my breath, as without doubt I would imagine your letter will be one of many sent to him telling him what they think about the excuses etc, albeit most of them in howls of protest and derision at the pathetic yet fully expected reaction from the rich, elitist Remain supporters that inhabit that area of the UK
It’s just a last spiteful and vengeful act by sore losers who are still having vapours getting over two shocks - one that the great unwashed in the North and Midlands beat them in the numbers that voted to leave, and two - that despite every dirty trick used by them over 3.½ years, we are still leaving in less than 2 weeks time and their once supposed successful Project Fear has been shown up for what it always was - a dismal failure. .

Boris is the one who thought up this ‘’Bob for a Bong’ for donations towards this laughable plucked out of the air £500,000 price tag to ring Big Ben.
As far as I understand it, £140,000 has been donated in just one day, so Boris, instead of waving the white flag to the London elites in case it hurts their loser feelings, should instead show them the middle finger and inform them that celebrations will instead be going ahead with the people who voted for Brexit, for those who will appreciate the biggest momentous event since the Second World War, the real democratic UK who fought every step of the way to get what we the people voted for and deserve. That donation, plus much more, to have a knees up at 11pm on 31st January 2020 should be shared by the North and the Midlands. Every hillside should have a bonfire lit at 11pm (we’ll allow that southern landmark ‘White Cliffs of Dover’ to take part simply because we all love it and it will be seen from France!).

To every person whether publicly or privately, complaining about Big Ben chiming at 11pm on 31st January 2020 to celebrate our independence. SHOVE IT! Every Brexit supporter will celebrate in their own way. We don’t need a famous tourist landmark to show us we are leaving the EU. The excitement alone as the date draws ever nearer is more than enough to compensate for a clock not ringing out its chimes to mainly Remain inhabitants.

HWMO and I will be sitting here with a glass of wine and a dish of crisps and we will celebrate at the exact minute. CHEERS.

Boris, giving in so easily to the HOC commission is a discussion for another time.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Well said Bread! I think you covered it all?
As you say lets hope you get a reply? And even better, some action!
Imo its utter BS. about Big Ben as it worked ok on new years eve!
They just have to give the contractors the day off!

Donkeyman!
Yeah we should position this as "a silent Big Ben salutes the silent Brexit majority who, after 3.5 years of determination, had their democratic vote acted upon and beat those who tried to overturn it".

Silence can be a very powerful tool - a one minute silence would be politically epic to celebrate and reflect on the demise of undemocratic movements in our country.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->

Hi Mark,

Your lettre sounds very much like the posts by one dominique cummings. Taking "inspiration" from his blog?
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

17-01-2020, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Excellent letter Bread, I hope Francoise takes the time to respond but I wouldn’t hold my breath, as without doubt I would imagine your letter will be one of many sent to him telling him what they think about the excuses etc, albeit most of them in howls of protest and derision at the pathetic yet fully expected reaction from the rich, elitist Remain supporters that inhabit that area of the UK
It’s just a last spiteful and vengeful act by sore losers who are still having vapours getting over two shocks - one that the great unwashed in the North and Midlands beat them in the numbers that voted to leave, and two - that despite every dirty trick used by them over 3.½ years, we are still leaving in less than 2 weeks time and their once supposed successful Project Fear has been shown up for what it always was - a dismal failure. .

Boris is the one who thought up this ‘’Bob for a Bong’ for donations towards this laughable plucked out of the air £500,000 price tag to ring Big Ben.
As far as I understand it, £140,000 has been donated in just one day, so Boris, instead of waving the white flag to the London elites in case it hurts their loser feelings, should instead show them the middle finger and inform them that celebrations will instead be going ahead with the people who voted for Brexit, for those who will appreciate the biggest momentous event since the Second World War, the real democratic UK who fought every step of the way to get what we the people voted for and deserve. That donation, plus much more, to have a knees up at 11pm on 31st January 2020 should be shared by the North and the Midlands. Every hillside should have a bonfire lit at 11pm (we’ll allow that southern landmark ‘White Cliffs of Dover’ to take part simply because we all love it and it will be seen from France!).

To every person whether publicly or privately, complaining about Big Ben chiming at 11pm on 31st January 2020 to celebrate our independence. SHOVE IT! Every Brexit supporter will celebrate in their own way. We don’t need a famous tourist landmark to show us we are leaving the EU. The excitement alone as the date draws ever nearer is more than enough to compensate for a clock not ringing out its chimes to mainly Remain inhabitants.

HWMO and I will be sitting here with a glass of wine and a dish of crisps and we will celebrate at the exact minute. CHEERS.

Boris, giving in so easily to the HOC commission is a discussion for another time.

I'll be raising a glass and thinking of you SG
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 03:12 PM

Every Brexit supporter will celebrate in their own way. We don’t need a famous tourist landmark to show us we are leaving the EU. The excitement alone as the date draws ever nearer is more than enough to compensate for a clock not ringing out its chimes to mainly Remain inhabitants. HWMO and I will be sitting here with a glass of wine and a dish of crisps and we will celebrate.

My thoughts exactly SG. However whilst I will be celebrating, my other half will not. Fortunately, however, he is a strong believer in democracy and is pleased to see the will of the majority who voted carried out.

Cheers!
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 03:34 PM

Very well thought out and eloquently put both Bread and Shropshire Girl.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 03:41 PM

A good letter but unfortunately far too long. They never read anything over a
few lines. You'll get a reply but it'll be from his PA, not him personally, although he might sign it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top