Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2019, 12:52 PM

Re: To Give or Not to Give

My youngest daughter was asked for money by a woman beggar sitting outside a supermarket. The woman gave her the sob story and my daughter said, ‘l only have a £10 note’.

The woman said, ‘That’s ok, you can have all my loose change’!
My daughter handed her the £10 and the woman gave her all the loose change which amounted to about £6.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2019, 06:11 PM

Some good news. The homeless man I was talking about has been found a home. He is moving into a flat on Tuesday.
He was sat on the floor outside Gregg's as usual this morning, dad and I bought him.a coffee and s pasty and I ask him if anyone was helping him get off the streets and he told me about moving into a flat on Tuesday, i.m delighted for him .

I.m gonna sort some kitchen items out for him and he is getting items such as cooker and fridge from a charity.
He can have a warm Christmas now. I could cry for him with happiness, it broke my heart seeing him sat on the cold pavement each Saturday dad and I went shopping. 8.ll be happy not to see him anymore if you know what I mean.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2019, 06:21 PM

Just seen the usual chap outside M & S today, and he had got bottles of Coke, those take-away cups of coffee, and paper bags of food, all lined up where people were giving him more food and drinks than he could eat and drink.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2019, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Some good news. The homeless man I was talking about has been found a home. He is moving into a flat on Tuesday.
He was sat on the floor outside Gregg's as usual this morning, dad and I bought him.a coffee and s pasty and I ask him if anyone was helping him get off the streets and he told me about moving into a flat on Tuesday, i.m delighted for him .

I.m gonna sort some kitchen items out for him and he is getting items such as cooker and fridge from a charity.
He can have a warm Christmas now. I could cry for him with happiness, it broke my heart seeing him sat on the cold pavement each Saturday dad and I went shopping. 8.ll be happy not to see him anymore if you know what I mean.
Well done LQ. I'm sure your help will be appreciated.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2019, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
You know the story. Some sit on the sidewalks with little placards asking for money. Others approach you in the street with their hand out and the rest just lie, corpse-like in a grubby bundle or just sit staring into space. When I was in London on a cold winter's day in a tunnel near the Tower

GIve or not give?

Most definitely DO NOT give these people money.

It may seem charitable, humane and right but it isn't.

All you are doing is handing that person a stash of drugs to make themselves worse than they are.

This is a harsh reality people need to see and understand. These people are on the street to beg for money to pay for drink and drugs. Simple as.

Buying them more and more drink/drugs doesn't help them in any way. It merely keeps them in that lifestyle and makes matters worse.

They wouldn't be on the street if people weren't so naïve and ignorant of this truth. The sooner we all see it the sooner these people will have to go for rehab and get themselves clean.

That's what is needed.

Also make no mistake about their food and drink. Many of these street people eat better than you. I kid you not.

They go to support centres in the city where they get a free breakfast, a free lunch, free evening meal and drinks all the way. In between those food visits they go back on the street to beg for money to fuel their drink/drug habits.

Don't let this come over as judgemental or inhumane. I have worked alongside these people, cooked and fed them fantastic meals every week. I care about them, but exposure to the front line showed me that it's all a nonsense and that they totally abuse any donations you give them.

Give them cash and it goes straight to their next drug fix

Give them a jumper or scarf or gloves and they will say thanks but hop down to the local market and sell them instantly for a few quid to go towards drink and drugs.

Every year in my city at Christmas a charity is sent bags and bags of clothing as the naïve and ignorant public appease their consciences thinking they are doing something good by giving a "homeless" person warm clothing over the horrible cold winter months. Each day the charity lets homeless people into a prepared room stack to the ceiling with donated clothing. They get 10mins in the room a day and can pick a few items.

The room is constantly used and the people pick the newest and best items and just go to the local market and sell them for cash.

THIS IS the reality.

Appeasing your conscience with silly donations of clothing or the disastrous giving of cash directly to the person is helping nobody and solving nothing.

These people need rehab

Everything else is prolonging their illness and keeping them on the streets. In fact the public's total naivety in regards to this has actually created a very lucrative lifestyle for street people who have found a life where they don't need to work, can claim benefits and can beg on the streets and get cash from stupid members of the public. They live a life of drink and drugs and spend the day duping the public after which they go off to their provided accommodation (which many have) or else go to their safe secret place on the streets.

This is a harsh world and a harsh reality. We want to help these people and feel a sense of desperation for them. But giving cash is always making their situation worse and is no different to actually giving them a bag of drugs.

Steer these people to support centres where they can engage properly and get on the path to rehab and recovery.

Find out where the centres are in your city, create a street map with those centres clearly marked on it and print out lots of copies in the form of leaflets and hand those to any street person you come across. Encourage them to go there and let them know they will get food and drink and clothing.

By all means by them a coffee and something to eat if you think they need it but be aware that the vast majority of people who are of a like mind are doing that every 5 mins of the day.

A final warning.

Whilst parked in a shopping precinct car park I watched a guy sitting right outside the Costa Coffee shop ( coffee shops are prime spots for these people to con the public)

He sat against the wall with his legs huddled up to his chest and had a blanket over him.

He looked cold and desperate and needy (exactly how he wanted to look).

As the droves of public walked into Costa for their morning lattes they would either hand this guy cash or come out with a latte they had bought for him. He was doing a roaring trade.

However what I noticed as I watched from my car was that as soon as the public had walked away, he reached under his blanket where there was a 4 pack of strong beer and took a good sip before the next mug arrived.

The guy wasn't the least bit interested in coffees people were buying him. He was there to get cash from the more naïve and had absolutely no intention of changing his lifestyle. He sits there most mornings earning a tidy crust to fuel his alcoholism.

Giving cash does not help, it harms.

The only solution, the only way to help these people is to get them to rehab and that's not something the public can do.

Find a good support centre that does put people into rehab and give them your cash.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2019, 03:44 PM

Just been watching a video on YouTube about a television programme in Michigan. It was saying that they had been told about a homeless African American man who usually sat on a lamppost island all day outside a newsagents. Word had gotten to them that he never begged for anything, was grateful for anything given, was a real gentleman and was so polite to people who stopped to talk to him..

So the television programme thought they would treat him. The shopkeeper was brought into the plan and the tv guy walked over to the homeless man and said:”I’m sorry I have no money on me, but I have this winning Lottery ticket that you can have instead. I don’t know how much the winnings are but whatever it is, you are welcome to it. The homeless man’ reaction was, well judge for yourselves…. I thought it was a wonderful gesture.....

[IMG]
[/IMG]
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2019, 06:01 PM

Made me cry too !
Savvy
United States
Savvy is male  Savvy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2019, 12:24 AM

My wife and I are generous in our giving, but we are careful. I never give a handout on the street. I see many young, apparently healthy, young men begging on the street when unemployment is the lowest it has been in decades. If you are healthy enough to stand for hours with a sign, there is some job you could do.

When we give, we go through organizations that identify a family or child with a need, then we fill the need. We never know who and neither does the recipient. Most of the time the gifts are material rather than monetary.

I know that this Christmas, some unknown local four old little girl is going to get a big surprise from Santa that will help her, and her family, throughout the coming year.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2019, 12:35 AM

Well done you two .
We give to the Salvation Army’s Homeless appeal .
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2019, 08:46 AM

Savvy I have a friend who does that too but he sources people himself missing out any organisations who take a slice of the money .....I'm not sure how he keeps it anonymous but he does. He supports athletes too so they can concentrate fully on training.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top