Join for free
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 12:22 PM

Re: Suffering fools

Are we not all fools to somebody?

Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I think the expression indicates rudeness and intolerance.
That's the way I see it. They are normally rude people who use the expression as an excuse to be rude. The expression just dresses it up as something positive in their own mind, as though they are somehow qualified to upset others. It's the same as when people say 'I shoot from the hip.'
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I think the expression indicates rudeness and intolerance.
I agree Mart ......also a level of conceit because the person saying it seems to be indicating they consider themself to be of superior intelligence to others.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I'm thinking people with learning difficulties can lack these, that doesn't make them fools. I think to define the term is a difficult one.
I totally agree.

The lovely lady I referred to earlier obviously had learning difficulties. Fool she was not. She was very good to us. Cleaned house and walked Max when I was in hospital.

She and my wife stay in touch.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Are we not all fools to somebody?
Sure. But we can have differences of opinion without falling out with each other over it.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 02:58 PM

Lady I met 4 years ago became a friend . I listened to her constant moaning about her adult married children who she was always giving huge amounts of money to. She pays for cars , mobile phones , anything they want . Yet she constantly complains she has no money , wont have anything left when shes older , and states shes always short of cash because of them .

At first I listened then I offered guidance and support as asked for yet realised she did not listen or hear what I was offering . I no longer want to be around this person because I cannot suffer this fool gladly anymore .

I am no better than anyone and certainly dont see myself as superior to this lady but my patience and empathy is longer available to listen to someone who enjoys being a victim .
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 03:58 PM

I would never dare to use that expression on this forum. l have seen the reaction it gets!
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 03:58 PM

Funnily enough I've never thought of anyone as being a fool.

Bloody aggravating sometimes sure - but not a fool.

Differently informed, differently experienced, differently interested --- essentially differently opinionated, but not as a fool. To do do otherwise would be to accept a great many things about myself that I despise in other people.

When it comes to the ESN to think of anyone in that condition as anything other than disabled is a thing that I just can't get my mind around.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK

16-01-2020, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I would never dare to use that expression on this forum. l have seen the reaction it gets!
Especially from the fools..........
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 04:13 PM

I've rarely heard the expression, but since when is there anyone from whom we can't learn something?

I've considered the idea God could be the collective conscience and that nature - including the people in it - created so "he" could collect experiences (through omnipresence) and omniscience that he would not have otherwise.

Ignorance isn't necessarily equal to foolishness, while knowledge sometimes is.

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top