Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 04:27 PM

Re: Tap water in the uk

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
You obviously don't smoke, it is very hard to stop, specially if like me you have been a smoker for over 60 years, no, we didn't know it was bad for us at first, in those days everyone smoked.
As to our water, I have been drinking it all my life & so far I am fine.
But what about the effect of your habit on people around you?

Actually I used to smoke but gave it up on the day that I graduated with my first degree 50 odd years ago. As for the carcinogenic effects of tap water in many regions of the UK is not having drawn the short straw yet any reason not to be concerned about it?
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 04:31 PM

Oh Dear, l drink loads of tap water,
l don’t like bottled water, especially the sparkling stuff. Bottled water has its own drawbacks and is no safer than tap water.
I think the water in my area comes from Wales.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 04:42 PM

Ok,I'll take Yer word for it,oy vey!....so..I'll stop drinking tap water and just drink wine,whisky,gin,vodka instead...that way I'll die happy with a smile on My coupon
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Oh Dear, l drink loads of tap water,
l don’t like bottled water, especially the sparkling stuff. Bottled water has its own drawbacks and is no safer than tap water.
I think the water in my area comes from Wales.
Most good things do!
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
But what about the effect of your habit on people around you?

Actually I used to smoke but gave it up on the day that I graduated with my first degree 50 odd years ago. As for the carcinogenic effects of tap water in many regions of the UK is not having drawn the short straw yet any reason not to be concerned about it?
Seeing as we are no longer allowed to smoke in public houses etc, when I go for a cigarette the people around me are also smoking.
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 05:31 PM

The first 10 years of my life our drinking water was hand pumped from a well in our back yard.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Most good things do!
Nah! That's Scotland...............
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Our tap water sometimes has an awful taste at times, it evens spoils the taste of a pot of tea on some days. I always keep bottles of Volvic water in the house now for anyone wanting just a glass of water.
In 1992, locals in the Oswestry area had our lovely soft water supplied from our local Reservoir taken away from us without our knowledge. Up until then, washing our clothes was superb, visitors from hard water areas couldn't get over how nice the water tasted and how it never left soap scum residue around the sink, and we certainly didn’t know what hard water and limescale was until then!

We only found out when we turned our taps on and vile brown sludge came out of the taps. Severn Trent and the local council had decided in their wisdom that they were taking it away and replacing it with water taken solely from the River Severn. For years the water tasted foul with countless complaints that it tasted vile and was undrinkable. It took over a decade of campaigning for them to finally change it again to 50 per cent borehole water and the remaining 50 per cent from the River Severn. Since then we have at least had drinkable water but I know I am not alone in missing our beautiful soft water supply.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Good find that Baz
Thanks Percy Vere!

There has been information on this for years' before that first item I posted. Ever since the female contraceptive pill came into being whenever that was, early 1960s perhaps? One report 14 years' before that link can be found below:

https://www.newscientist.com/article...-of-oestrogen/
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 07:43 PM

I sometimes go up on the hills to collect Malvern Spring water.

Our tap water comes out of the River Severn and need chemicals to kill the bacteria from the farmyard muck and bodies of people that jump in and are never found.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top