Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2019, 02:58 PM

Re: Los Angeles: Why tens of thousands of people sleep rough

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
b.i.b.? What does that mean?
Is there something in my post you don't agree with, Aerolor? Does that make you right and me wrong????
b.i.b is short for bit in bold, Floydy.
I was surprised at you saying "There are homeless people everywhere in the world. As long as we don't bother them and they don't bother us - then there isn't a problem." I don't agree that there is no problem - Whether I am right or you are right depends on how the state of homelessness (and seeing the homeless struggle) affects someone.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2019, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
b.i.b is short for bit in bold, Floydy.
I was surprised at you saying "There are homeless people everywhere in the world. As long as we don't bother them and they don't bother us - then there isn't a problem." I don't agree that there is no problem - Whether I am right or you are right depends on how the state of homelessness (and seeing the homeless struggle) affects someone.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-49687478

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...ise-in-2018-19

Having read both linked articles (as above), what struck me most is that more people (in certain cities) are becoming homeless not because they are "society dropouts" but because they can't afford to pay the rent - once they lose their residence they will probably lose their job and/or won't be able to get another one - so it's Skid Row then, forever .....

"There but for fortune go you or I" .....
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2019, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->

Having read both linked articles (as above), what struck me most is that more people (in certain cities) are becoming homeless not because they are "society dropouts" but because they can't afford to pay the rent - once they lose their residence they will probably lose their job and/or won't be able to get another one - so it's Skid Row then, forever .....

For sure Omah.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2019, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->

Your second link states that 49% of the homeless are English the rest are from the EU.

Suggest when they come they have enough money to pay rent.

If not they can FO to their own countries
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2019, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
Your second link states that 49% of the homeless are English the rest are from the EU.

Suggest when they come they have enough money to pay rent.

If not they can FO to their own countries
True Galty, letting so many migrants into this country in such a short space of time doesn't do us, or the migrants any good at all.....
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2019, 09:52 AM

**Off topic posts deleted...
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2019, 07:41 AM

The Gubbio Project San Francisco

Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2019, 09:51 AM

Homelessness is the sharp end of capitalism. People making money off housing but not taking into account the amount people are earning, I was reading about rent caps recently that sounds like it could work. Some places already have a percentage of properties with reduced rents they appear to help and get people off the streets particularly those who are actually working. Always seems a broken society when working people cannot afford a home.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2019, 11:10 AM

The more I see what is wrong with the UK, the more I want to nationalise everything and keep ownership in this country.
Practically everyone had somewhere to live when councils owned most of the property, and in turn, the rents were ploughed back into the community. Libraries, Police, Schools, disposing of the rubbish and filling pot holes in the road. Now the councils have sold off all of their housing stock to unscrupulous property developers/Landlords etc, and have to go 'cap in hand' to the government.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2019, 08:32 PM

L.A. is vibrant spread-out city on a gorgeous coastline that has drawn people in droves for generations. Like any other city, there are beautiful parks, iconic sites (See La Brea Tar Pits, and Griffith Observatory, Beverly Hills for starters), and depressing, crime-ridden areas that stun.

I grew up in the suburbs there and it was wonderful: sunny Mediterranean weather, beautiful coastlines, great culture, plenty of outdoor activities with mountains, beaches, lakes, and incredible hillsides.

However, many of it's attributes that make it a nice place to live, also make it the perfect recipe for homelessness:

High cost of living
Within an an hour or so of the Mexican border
Perfect weather (no freezing nights)
Spread out, so transportation is costly and difficult.
The myth of Hollywood and all that goes with it.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top