Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2019, 09:30 AM

Re: Thomas Cook

Its a private company we should not get involved unless it's to help get people home. I do feel sorry for people stuck in places. What always angers me most about companies that go bust is they always seem to be taking money and accepting orders right up to the last minute when they know weeks before they are going down. I'll never forgive my husbands employers years ago accepting orders until the doors closed and putting the employees on overtime leading up to it then refusing to pay wages, holiday pay and redundancy pay. Evil some of these owners are, absolutely money grabbing and evil.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2019, 07:55 AM

Thomas Cook have now collapsed. The company is no more. No further efforts to save it could be found.

It's awful news especially for the employees, the suppliers, transport companies, caterers and everybody involved in the business.

Hopefully all the people stranded abroad will get home on schedule and others who have holidays booked can be accommodated elsewhere.

I had a booking for next August with Thomas Cook to go to Greece for my SD's wedding anniversary. I have cancelled my direct debit and I'm about to ring my bank to hopefully get my first DD reimbursed
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2019, 08:51 AM

My sister is a bit miffed and objects that those stranded abroad ‘have had their holiday’. I asked her to look at it positively and that SHE isn’t out there, stranded. She went to New York earlier this year, and has been away countless times, so it’s not like she’s never had a holiday. At least she can try with another company, at some point.
Ethel
England
Ethel is female  Ethel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2019, 09:27 AM

Very sad news all those people out of work and many with families and mortgages, Christmas just around the corner. People will get their money back, but the poor people working for them are at a big loss. So sad
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2019, 10:01 AM

Isn't this just the way the world is going these days with these massive companies getting into difficulties. Too many chiefs and not enough indians.....and trying to compete with the internet, and in a global market...
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2019, 10:08 AM

On the news this morning one of the travel journalists told that at around midnight last night he was able to book a £195 holiday abroad with Thomas Cook yet at 2am they declared liquidation .
The company knew yet took peoples money . The journalist used his credit card knowing he would get his money back

Surely this is fraud
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2019, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
I know that paying by credit card gives you extra protection, but you surely have travel insurance before booking a holiday - so it would be them who refund anything paid, then they wait for refunds/compensation from Thomas Cook.
Yes you must inform your travel insurance company after checking the small print on your policy .
They tell you how to proceed .
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2019, 10:40 AM

Hi

It transpired that senior management have been paying themselves £millions in Bonuses.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2019, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
– Snip –

I'll never forgive my husbands employers years ago accepting orders until the doors closed and putting the employees on overtime leading up to it then refusing to pay wages, holiday pay and redundancy pay. Evil some of these owners are, absolutely money grabbing and evil.
They probably did this to avoid news of their financial difficulties getting out to suppliers and others who have accounts with them. If this happened the company would go under while perhaps there was a chance of being sold or run by receivers until a potential buyer is found. I agree it's unforgivable, although as I've found out after being made redundant in that way four times, there's no sentiment in business!

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
– Snip –

I had a booking for next August with Thomas Cook to go to Greece for my SD's wedding anniversary. I have cancelled my direct debit and I'm about to ring my bank to hopefully get my first DD reimbursed
Hope you get reimbursed Floydy, you should be OK with the Direct Debit Mandate guarantee I would have thought. If any deposit was paid on credit or debit cards they too should reimburse that amount.

Originally Posted by Ethel ->
Very sad news all those people out of work and many with families and mortgages, Christmas just around the corner. People will get their money back, but the poor people working for them are at a big loss. So sad
Yes, I know as that's happened to me four times. Except for one time I was always able to get another job. That one time was not a good experience though, all part of the world we live in I guess.

Originally Posted by susan m ->
On the news this morning one of the travel journalists told that at around midnight last night he was able to book a £195 holiday abroad with Thomas Cook yet at 2am they declared liquidation .
The company knew yet took peoples money . The journalist used his credit card knowing he would get his money back

Surely this is fraud
Morally, yes it was not right but according to the rules of running a business it was not fraud, technically the company was still operating legally. Had they managed to raise the £200 million they would still be in business and up until 02.00am they were.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2019, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

It transpired that senior management have been paying themselves £millions in Bonuses.
Isn't that usually the case Swimmy.....

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top