Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2019, 09:14 AM

home visits

So doctors have voted to cease home visits which, to me, proves beyond doubt that they care not two hoots about the elderly sick who cannot get to a surgery.
As you know I am one of those 'oldies' and am very unsteady on my feet. I have asked on several occasions to have a doctor come out to see me but get the same answer each time "We do not do home visits" The last time I tried I was told "We are fully booked and we do not do home visits. Come down after surgery hours and someone may be able to see you"
They even refused to come and see me when I had a heart attack two years ago. My daughter who was with me at the time rang 999.
I was told the next day by the heart surgeon that I was a very lucky man, another twenty minutes and it would have been a different story.
No I think that once one reaches a certain age one is only fit for the knackers yard as far as local GPs are concerned.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2019, 09:22 AM

Re: home visits

Originally Posted by big ben ->
So doctors have voted to cease home visits which, to me, proves beyond doubt that they care not two hoots about the elderly sick who cannot get to a surgery.
As you know I am one of those 'oldies' and am very unsteady on my feet. I have asked on several occasions to have a doctor come out to see me but get the same answer each time "We do not do home visits" The last time I tried I was told "We are fully booked and we do not do home visits. Come down after surgery hours and someone may be able to see you"
They even refused to come and see me when I had a heart attack two years ago. My daughter who was with me at the time rang 999.
I was told the next day by the heart surgeon that I was a very lucky man, another twenty minutes and it would have been a different story.
No I think that once one reaches a certain age one is only fit for the knackers yard as far as local GPs are concerned.

That is very worrying...i do sometimes have to wait a while for an appointment...

When I was discharged after my heart operation..I had a few problems with my breat wound,they saw me straight away.

It wasn't a doctor though,bigben...it was a practitioner nurse.

Also when I went into atrial fibrillation ...ambulance turned up within minutes....if it was a child or me.the child would have come first..in an emergency situation..I do agree with that..not that I have a choice,lol..they told me they do prioritise ,that's life I guess.

Maybe it's to do with,which part of the country you live in..I live in Hampshire .
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2019, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
That is very worrying...i do sometimes have to wait a while for an appointment...

When I was discharged after my heart operation..I had a few problems with my breat wound,they saw me straight away.

It wasn't a doctor though,bigben...it was a practitioner nurse.

Also when I went into atrial fibrillation ...ambulance turned up within minutes....if it was a child or me.the child would have come first..in an emergency situation..I do agree with that..not that I have a choice,lol..they told me they do prioritise ,that's life I guess.

Maybe it's to do with,which part of the country you live in..I live in Hampshire .

I too live in Hampshire, Have done most of my life but this business with 'no home visits' has been going on for a very long time here.
I agree that younger people should be given priority but this 'ban' by GPs is for all, young or old.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2019, 09:57 AM

What about after hours? Don't you have the equivalent of a Radio Doctor? They only do home visits. Good service.

My GP does home visits during the lunch time if they are urgent.

https://radiodoctor.com.au/
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2019, 10:05 AM

This is just a suggestion Ben. You can take it or leave it. But maybe if you have a special need that prevents you from getting to the surgery, perhaps it would pay to get in touch with your local health centre / community services centre or whatever there is near you. You may be able to get a caseworker/ social worker to organise services for you that would include medical. Maybe community transport to a doctor etc. It could be that just contacting the doctor is the wrong tactic. There must be services available that can help connect you to a doctor. There is here so there must be there I would think?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2019, 10:08 AM

In our practise we have volunteers drivers who will take people to the Dr or hospital in their own cars .
It’s usual to offer them some petrol money .

Meanwhile for emergencies call 112 and someone will attend you and may send a paramedic out.

111 is for none emergency medical situations.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2019, 10:09 AM

I too live in Hampshire, Have done most of my life but this business with 'no home visits' has been going on for a very long time here.
I agree that younger people should be given priority but this 'ban' by GPs is for all, young or old.

Personally..how can they ban home visits?

Maybe with the doctors visiting...I believe they will be replaced by practisioning nurses..

They visited me after my surgery...which was good enough for me..they are highly qualified .
big ben
United Kingdom

23-11-2019, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
What about after hours? Don't you have the equivalent of a Radio Doctor? They only do home visits. Good service.

My GP does home visits during the lunch time if they are urgent.

https://radiodoctor.com.au/
No we do not have a radio doctor here as far as I know.
As for after hours service. None.
I have been told a few times that as there were no appointments available to come to the surgery after five when normal hours are finished as there MAY be someone available if it is an emergency.
big ben
United Kingdom

23-11-2019, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
In our practise we have volunteers drivers who will take people to the Dr or hospital in their own cars .
It’s usual to offer them some petrol money .

Meanwhile for emergencies call 112 and someone will attend you and may send a paramedic out.

111 is for none emergency medical situations.
Thanks Muddy. I will be doing just that.
big ben
United Kingdom

23-11-2019, 10:16 AM

The problem I am having at the moment is blinding headaches at the back and right hand side of my head and giddiness and no matter how many Paracetamol I take it will not ease.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top