Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2019, 12:37 AM

Lipoma.

I have a fatty growth (lipoma) on the front of my neck which I find most embarrassing. I had it removed about 20 years ago & now it's ready again.

I dread the thought of going into hospital & having my throat sliced open...

It doesn't hurt or anything - it's just unsightly.

Has anybody else got a lipoma anywhere on their body?
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2019, 12:44 AM

Re: Lipoma.

You wouldn't believe how many scarves I've got to disguise it. OK in the winter but not in the summer.

T0 give you an idea - this is picture taken a few minutes ago.

AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2019, 11:03 PM

There's a risk with any surgery, even minor ops. But if you were planning to have this done I'd suggest waiting until the winter season is over.

My elderly mum just had a similar but pea sized growth near her eye removed and we had to take her back to urgent care as the temporary GP left the knot of the stitches inside so it was turning into an infection. I'm thinking of complaining.

The bigger these things grow the harder it is to remove them and the longer the recovery time and risk. In my mum's case she had to have it done because it was so close to the eye and brain.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.

27-12-2019, 12:57 AM

I've had it done before - about 20 years ago - it's just grown back.

There's usually a few months waiting list so if I go to the doctors now I reckon it would be spring before I could get it done.

Thank you for replying Annie.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2020, 02:49 PM

I've got a huge one on my back - it's circular and about 12cm in diameter. Three years ago, when I first noticed it, it was about 2cm across. It has grown enormously since then. After 5 visits to my GP over the past three years, it was finally agreed to refer me to a plastic surgeon. The appointment was on 2nd January and the consultant requested an MRI just to check there was nothing more sinister than a fatty lump going on. This will be on 2nd February and hopefully surgery to remove it will follow shortly afterwards. It seems to me that if the GP had referred me to plastic surgery when the lipoma was tiny, it would have been quick and easy to remove under local anaesthetic. Now it is so large that I will need an MRI and a general anaesthetic. These kind of needless delays in the NHS must waste millions.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2020, 04:57 PM

[QUOTE=MickB;1840004]I've got a huge one on my back - it's circular and about 12cm in diameter. Three years ago, when I first noticed it, it was about 2cm across. It has grown enormously since then. After 5 visits to my GP over the past three years, it was finally agreed to refer me to a plastic surgeon. The appointment was on 2nd January and the consultant requested an MRI just to check there was nothing more sinister than a fatty lump going on. This will be on 2nd February and hopefully surgery to remove it will follow shortly afterwards. It seems to me that if the GP had referred me to plastic surgery when the lipoma was tiny, it would have been quick and easy to remove under local anaesthetic. Now it is so large that I will need an MRI and a general anaesthetic. These kind of needless delays in the NHS must waste millions.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely agree with you Mick.
Pity you didn't insist on a second opinion before it was half that size! Can hardly believe they left it so long.

Good luck with the op, hope it all goes well.
cuphalffull
North East UK
cuphalffull is female  cuphalffull has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2020, 05:47 PM

I'd go ahead and get rid, then you'll be able to enjoy the spring and summer.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2020, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
I've got a huge one on my back - it's circular and about 12cm in diameter. Three years ago, when I first noticed it, it was about 2cm across. It has grown enormously since then. After 5 visits to my GP over the past three years, it was finally agreed to refer me to a plastic surgeon. The appointment was on 2nd January and the consultant requested an MRI just to check there was nothing more sinister than a fatty lump going on. This will be on 2nd February and hopefully surgery to remove it will follow shortly afterwards. It seems to me that if the GP had referred me to plastic surgery when the lipoma was tiny, it would have been quick and easy to remove under local anaesthetic. Now it is so large that I will need an MRI and a general anaesthetic. These kind of needless delays in the NHS must waste millions.
Mick, I wish you good luck with your forthcoming op .... I hope everything goes well for you.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.

14-01-2020, 09:16 AM

I went to the doctors about mine yesterday and I need to have an ultrasound scan before I can have it removed.

I expect there will be a few months wait.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2020, 09:30 AM

So frustrating having to wait for what should be quite a simple procedure....hope it gets sorted soon

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top