Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2020, 01:57 PM

Re: Foxy on Tour

I've been to the Netherlands quite a few times. Mostly on business. One of the last times was on holiday. We went to the Floriadae Exhibition. Beautiful, it was.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2020, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Perhaps we didn't spend enough time there Meg and see more of the sights, but first impressions would suggest that it will be my last visit.....
That must have been a disappointment Bob, I've heard a few people say the same...
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2020, 03:40 PM

Not a city I shall be rushing back to....
Did you go to the Anne Frank house?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2020, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
I've been to the Netherlands quite a few times. Mostly on business. One of the last times was on holiday. We went to the Floriadae Exhibition. Beautiful, it was.
Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Did you go to the Anne Frank house?
Unfortunately Besoeker, when visiting places while on a cruise, time is very limited, and because the cruise was mainly centred on the New Year celebrations we could only afford a few hours to get a general impression of Amsterdam and I was very disappointed with the cleanliness and the lack of maintenance of the city. I did enjoy the magnificent architecture, but with the crowds of people and disorganised roads, cycle lanes and trams it just seemed like a very badly designed and dangerous city. I expected something better from the Dutch, and having visited many cities around the world, I'm afraid Amsterdam will not be present on my list of favourite cities to return to.
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2020, 04:24 PM

OFF, I too have been to Amsterdam and came away with views similar to yours. I have subsequently been told Rotterdam is much nicer.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK

06-01-2020, 05:34 PM

I expected something better from the Dutch, and having visited many cities around the world, I'm afraid Amsterdam will not be present on my list of favourite cities to return to.
That, I can understand. I, too, have many places around the world. Some, I wouldn't go back to. For different reasons. Not always for the more obvious reasons.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2020, 11:18 AM

Well Im not too bothered about not having been to Amsterdam now.... it was on my list but I might cross it off

Ship looked nice though Bob..... Im still waiting for the cake though
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2020, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Well Im not too bothered about not having been to Amsterdam now.... it was on my list but I might cross it off

Ship looked nice though Bob..... Im still waiting for the cake though
Don't cross it off your list because of me Summer, we all see things in a different way, and I was only there for a few hours, but my first impressions were not favourable...
Unfortunately the nice looking hound that followed me through customs wouldn't leave me alone until I gave it something to eat........You guessed it.......it was your cake Summer.......sorry....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

07-01-2020, 12:26 PM

By the time we returned to the ship on New Years Eve my big toe was the size of a large bratwurst, so after changing into something appropriate I limped my way down to the restaurant and enjoyed a splendid meal, all washed down with champagne and some red wine.....
The only place to dance properly on the Arcadia was the Globe, about the same size as a large pub, and it cost £100 to reserve a table, I was relieved to hear that all the tables were booked, so we spent the evening sat in the Rising Sun pub doing quizzes and looking pretty in our suits and bow ties, and that was just the ladies....

Unable to dance with a throbbing foot and limited space, I managed to take part in the traditional Auld Lang Syne and the following hoki koki....Where I made my escape up to the buffet restaurant on the top deck and enjoyed a ham sandwich followed by tea and biscuits....And a happy New Year.

The late night did me more damage than the single glass of Peroni and two glasses of champagne that I consumed all night...So after a very painful nights sleep, what was left of it, and a seriously throbbing toe, I finally surfaced around ten and staggered down to breakfast. I thought the ship windows had steamed up but no, it was thick freezing fog outside with visibility down to just a few yards, so together with the toe from hell my photo opportunity around Amsterdam was cancelled.

It gets worse.....
After steaming through the night we arrived in Zeebrugge, my throbbing toe had settled down so we left the ship to visit Bruges. P&O had laid on shuttle busses to take us to Blankenberg? We were dropped off at the station where a train could be caught to Bruges.
An old surly ticket seller peered through a small window and informed me that my debit card was not accepted here and I would need to pay in cash, he gestured to an ATM on a wall opposite so I fed it my card.......It was the last time I would ever see that card again.
A message on the screen said "Card withheld, Machine now out of service"...

The surly ticket seller threw his hands up in the air and said "Nothing I can do!"
We left Blankenberg on the next shuttle bus back to the ship.....
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2020, 04:37 PM

Don't cross it off your list because of me Summer, we all see things in a different way, and I was only there for a few hours, but my first impressions were not favourable...
Unfortunately the nice looking hound that followed me through customs wouldn't leave me alone until I gave it something to eat........You guessed it.......it was your cake Summer.......sorry....
Could it have been a sniffer OGF?
Donkeyman!

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top