Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 11:47 AM

Re: Editing Posts Or Living With Your Errors?

Other peoples spelling and bad grammar doesn't bother me and don't really understand why it bothers others as long as you can make out what the person is saying. Some are dyslexic or may suffer word blindness or have attention difficulties. Not everyone is academic at school either.

I do correct my own spelling mistakes if I notice I made one, I'm not sure why, is it because I don't want others pulling me up on it? Or does it just come naturally.

I really don't think others grammar or spelling matters.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Other peoples spelling and bad grammar doesn't bother me and don't really understand why it bothers others as long as you can make out what the person is saying. Some are dyslexic or may suffer word blindness or have attention difficulties. Not everyone is academic at school either.

I do correct my own spelling mistakes if I notice I made one, I'm not sure why, is it because I don't want others pulling me up on it? Or does it just come naturally.

Ditto, it is only a seniors forum.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 12:52 PM

Good post Lion Queen and one that I would agree with.
I never make an issue of anyone else's mistakes, sometimes the post has been done on a smartphone with predictive text and small buttons the post may contain some typo's, I think the main thing is, that you can understand it.

I write all my posts on a laptop (don't possess a smartphone) I find the keyboard easier to write stuff on, and I wouldn't like to be writing posts while on a bus or in a restaurant. The forum is for relaxing at home.

I always re-read my posts though to see if it sounds right and the spelling is okay, but sometimes thoughts come into my head faster than I can write them down...
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 12:57 PM

Exactly this.

I know there are a few posters that struggle with spelling for whatever reason and that doesn't bother me. Just because someone can't spell doesn't make them stupid.

What does annoy me though are those that can spell but use the wrong words as in there, their and they're. Could be predictive text, who knows?

My own spelling mistakes do bother me though and it is always a race to correct it before someone views the post. I don't always make it in time.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 03:55 PM

When l started the thread, it wasn't to criticise other members errors or incorrect spelling.
It was about me personally and the standards l expect of myself.

Now saying all that, the only word that narks me, is the incorrect spelling of ‘lose’ as in when you lose something.
Many write ‘loose’ and it seems to be a very common error these days.

Please don’t set the dogs lose on me for my utterance!
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
When l started the thread, it wasn't to criticise other members errors or incorrect spelling.

Now saying all that, the only word that narks me, is the incorrect spelling of ‘lose’ as in when you lose something.

Along with the other errors created by uneducated spell checkers, these are the bane of anyone who has standards relating to correct spelling!

Beware of that dog, although it is probably friendly!
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->

More or less the same here. I'm not a grammar Nazi. As long as the intended meaning is clear that's what matters.

But things like should of instead of should have tell you a bit about the poster.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 04:16 PM

In "real life", I am a stickler for grammar and spelling errors, but here I am a terrible keyboardist, often too much in a hurry to check before I hit that enter key.

I like to think that because the forum is casual, that you good people will forgive me my sins .
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 04:23 PM

Went out with a Girl who was a terrible speller, it only lasted a week, she wasn't my Typo.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Went out with a Girl who was a terrible speller, it only lasted a week, she wasn't my Typo.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top