Join for free
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 04:35 PM

Re: Suffering fools

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
I've rarely heard the expression, but since when is there anyone from whom we can't learn something?

I've considered the idea God could be the collective conscience and that nature - including the people in it - created so "he" could collect experiences (through omnipresence) and omniscience that he would not have otherwise.

Ignorance isn't necessarily equal to foolishness, while knowledge sometimes is.
There is no god other than the imaginary thing created by primitive man as a placeholder for what he couldn't explain when faced with a thing he could not understand.

Moreover I totally and absolutely disagree that knowledge is EVER foolishness even when knowing the truth about a thing proves to be unpleasant. It's always best to know no matter what it is.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
There is no god other than the imaginary thing created by primitive man as a placeholder for what he couldn't explain when faced with a thing he could not understand.

Moreover I totally and absolutely disagree that knowledge is EVER foolishness even when knowing the truth about a thing proves to be unpleasant. It's always best to know no matter what it is.
Your opinion is valid, but it is not knowledge. That said, it is a very good idea to walk around this and countless notions and consider them with a critical eye and an open and humble mind.

Knowledge is foolishness when one leans on it as an absolute. Too often, it turns out to be wrong.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Your opinion is valid, but it is not knowledge. That said, it is a very good idea to walk around this and countless notions and consider them with a critical eye and an open and humble mind.

Knowledge is foolishness when one leans on it as an absolute. Too often, it turns out to be wrong.
That's why it's so important to work on the basis of probabilities.

For example as more and more is discovered about the emergence of the four dimensions of the observable universe so the probability of a "creator" diminishes as the need for a placeholder is replaced by greater understanding.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 05:55 PM

There are degrees of foolishness .
From being a minor annoyance to a major PITA.
Still there is no one that hasn’t acted foolishly at one point or other .
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->

I agree. Knowledge is never foolish. Having it about anything is never foolish. It does not weigh anything. And in most cases it doesn't cost anything. All you have to do is stay awake, listen and observe. My main point here is that people sometimes develop a habit of seeing everybody who doesn't agree with them, behave like them, Do what they would do or of having different political, social or spiritual views as "fools" and "morons". I have done reasonably well in life by adhering to the principle that I can learn something from everybody I meet. I believe people are good, bad, apathetic, power hungry, manipulative, altruistic blah blah blah. I believe some are saints and some are pure evil. But I think they are very seldom fools or morons. As far as IQ goes, most of us fall within one standard deviation from centre in the bell shaped curve.People with the view that everybody is stupid just indicate they have a closed mind and consequently miss out on a lot. JMO Being able to criticise oneself however is entirely different. If I had a dollar for every time I've done things that I thought were foolish, I would be a very rich man.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
"A person with little or no judgement, wisdom, or common sense."
Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I'm thinking people with learning difficulties can lack these, that doesn't make them fools. I think to define the term is a difficult one.
Yes, indeed. People with learning difficulties may lack these but I do not think of them as fools. I think of fools entirely differently. I once knew a man who routinely drove while intoxicated. In the end he killed himself in a car crash. He was a fool because he chose to ignore my warnings of the danger.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 11:19 PM

there are those people who just don't know and try their best, so would not call them fools just not understanding

Then there are those who should know and still mess things up. They are the real fools who believe what they are doing is the right way to do a job, They are the real fools conning themselves into believing they are correct
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 11:45 PM

Fools slip below the radar, Clowns get a lot of flack.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 11:54 PM

Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Clowns get a lot of flack.
That's because clowns are nasty scary things!

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top