Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 05:03 PM

Did you have a trick for getting rid of invited or uninvited visitors?

Did you ever have a visitor to your home (invited or not) that if invited, didn’t take the hint when it was time to leave? And if uninvited, how did you get rid of them?

I ask because in the case of invited guests and it was WAY PAST the time when they should have left, My Mum had a foolproof way of them taking the hint., She would pretend to fall asleep and start snoring! She was very good at it because she would get Dad to wake her up and she would then be full of apologies stating that she didn’t realise just how tired she was. They always took the hint though, even though she couldn’t use the same trick on them twice or they would have sussed her.

Also, if she saw someone through the window approaching the door and didn’t want a visit, (not family of course) she would grab her coat, put it on, answer the door and say ‘’Oh (whoever) What a shame! I was just in the mood for a cuppa and a chinwag too, but I have a Doctor’s appointment and I don’t want to miss it. I’m just waiting for (whoever) to pick me up in five minutes time. Sorry about this, another time? Problem solved.

Did you ever have a devious way to get rid of invited or uninvited people?
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 05:04 PM

Re: Did you have a trick for getting rid of invited or uninvited visitors?

Set the dog on them............
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 05:07 PM

I just stand up or say im really tired now .

My brother used to put the cat out !
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 05:15 PM

HA HA! That reminds me of Mum's adorable collie dog Tilly,she had her when we were youngsters. That dog was the friendliest dog in the world, but one day a new Insurance chap called to collect the weekly Insurance instalment (wow, now we are going back). Unfortunately, he was wearing a Trilby hat and when Mum answered the door he politely went to doff his hat, Tilly thought he was raising his arm to strike Mum and the next second Tilly launched herself at him with the most ferocious growl.
Mum said she had never seen someone so scared. Luckily, no damage was done and he soon made friends with Tilly but I think Mum was secretly pleased as punch at how she protected her.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 05:19 PM

I actually hid one day when unexpected guests I hadn't seen for years turned up.
They went away and telephoned my son to ask when I would be home he said I should be home and must be in the garden so there was no escape and they came back.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 05:27 PM

Teazle would welcome them in
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 05:30 PM

I don't really have a problem, I welcome any visitor who is a friend with open arms. I get lonely on my own during the day & I never have evening visitors except for my Daughter & one friend who visits every Monday evening.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
HA HA! That reminds me of Mum's adorable collie dog Tilly,she had her when we were youngsters. That dog was the friendliest dog in the world, but one day a new Insurance chap called to collect the weekly Insurance instalment (wow, now we are going back). Unfortunately, he was wearing a Trilby hat and when Mum answered the door he politely went to doff his hat, Tilly thought he was raising his arm to strike Mum and the next second Tilly launched herself at him with the most ferocious growl.
Mum said she had never seen someone so scared. Luckily, no damage was done and he soon made friends with Tilly but I think Mum was secretly pleased as punch at how she protected her.
A tail I've related before about the dog I had on the farm. I had a good friend, Pete who regularly visited. One day he visited when my parents and I were out but, unusually, left Rip, our dog at home.

Pete visited and we found him in the front porch. He tried to climb in the kitchen but Rip was having none of it. He really was a gentle fellow and got on with Pete. But clearly, he thought entry via the kitchen was suspicious. Can't blame him for that.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 05:49 PM

Don't stand on ceremonies just tell them to eff off, they will never come back after that.
Great for getting rid of the in laws I can tell you.
Except for my old mother in law for some reason she always came back.
The skin of a lizard that one had, got to like her in the end and I think she me.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 05:51 PM

"Nay, don't just stand there in the doorway, bugger off home"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top