Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2020, 04:42 PM

Re: When people don’t talk

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I am myself .
It’s been a lovely day today sunny and bright but I have had my husbands adult daughters staying for the weekend .
They are introverted to an extreme and just don’t engage .
They never ask a single question - not one .
I introduced umpteen subjects .
They never took up one .
These topics ranged from topical Harry and Meghan ( I don’t want to talk about them ) historical Richard 111 ( we heard he was found in a car park) , to TV have you seen the series on Christine Keebler ( never heard of her ) dogs ,.( no my dog doesn’t do this that or the other . ( it’s did however have diarrhoea all over my kitchen floor which I cleaned up as they Don’t get up until late ) Their plans for the year if any ( none)

We went for a walk it’s was beautiful they hung back 100 yards .( they walk as slow as two octogenians) and never once walked or talked to us this also is usual .

I had more conversation with a complete strangers met who was walking her dog !

Mr M says they are always like this .( he is a quiet person too so he’s thinks it’s natural ) I feel desperate to talk to someone who actually offers some conversation anything !

I am not saying this in your case.....

I had the same problem,with one of a family members girlfriend.

The more I tried to converse....the more she said nothing...it's a long story....how ever ,...I have since learnt that she was jeleous of my relationship with that family member....

I feel for you,I really do.....I know you love your husband very much.....he loves his daughters,and let's be honest,we do sometimes cover up for our children,..which isn't always a good thing...but if it keeps the peace...at least you don't live with them,Muddy....

My hairdresser has just got married....and her husbands daughters are making her life hell....another long story...

Very difficult when we aren't the natural mother......it's not you,Muddy,just remember that.

That's my opinion of it..what I am reading into it.

My point is..."some" step parents can have it really tough..
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2020, 04:46 PM

That’s fair enough May but I think when you are in someone’s elses house by choice you should at least make an effort .
Agreed.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2020, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
I am not saying this in your case.....

I had the same problem,with one of a family members girlfriend.

The more I tried to converse....the more she said nothing...it's a long story....how ever ,...I have since learnt that she was jeleous of my relationship with that family member....

I feel for you,I really do.....I know you love your husband very much.....he loves his daughters,and let's be honest,we do sometimes cover up for our children,..which isn't always a good thing...but if it keeps the peace...at least you don't live with them,Muddy....

My hairdresser has just got married....and her husbands daughters are making her life hell....another long story...

Very difficult when we aren't the natural mother......it's not you,Muddy,just remember that.

That's my opinion of it..what I am reading into it.

My point is..."some" step parents can have it really tough..

Yes it is difficult they are not mine ( mine are very talkative and have an opinion on most things )

I would like to tell them ( but would never I am after all the step mother )look this is not the way to go on .
Neither are married or have boyfriends yet both are quite attractive women .
You have to put something into even casual conversation .
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2020, 04:52 PM

That’s fair enough May but I think when you are in someone’s elses house by choice you should at least make an effort .
Of course they should...do you think they are doing it deliberately?...to hurt you.....because let's be honest some do.

Or do you think they are truly introvert?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2020, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by May ->
Agreed.

And I agree with May, agreeing with Muddy.

Are they always like that with you Muddy, or has something gone wrong just this weekend?

Even if they haven't got much to say, if you don't mind me saying, it's pretty rude not to even walk together surely.
Come on gal, cheer up, you've still got us.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2020, 04:57 PM

Sadly, regardless of where they are, some people just simply have nothing to say and nothing to offer. Sometimes it's because they just don't care that you want or need to talk or they don't see why they should. Other times they just don't have the confidence or social skill to make small talk. Similar to when you want or really need somebody to hear what you are saying and you actually say to them "I have something to say and I really need to you to listen": you can say "Do you like to chat?..Do you want to talk or do you prefer not to?"..It might seem overly confronting but why not say that?..At least you both know where you stand.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2020, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Of course they should...do you think they are doing it deliberately?...to hurt you.....because let's be honest some do.

Or do you think they are truly introvert?

I think they are truly introverted
I don’t expect them to like me at all in fact I would prefer not to be here with them and do indeed make sure they have plenty of time alone with their Dad.

They are not children and we would never in a year of Sunday’s have anything in common if I were not married to their father .

The younger one only directs her attention to her dog and to her sister .
I find it weird to be honest .
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

19-01-2020, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
And I agree with May, agreeing with Muddy.

Are they always like that with you Muddy, or has something gone wrong just this weekend?

Even if they haven't got much to say, if you don't mind me saying, it's pretty rude not to even walk together surely.
Come on gal, cheer up, you've still got us.
They are always like that .
No nothing has gone wrong it’s just the usual .
Yes I did think it was rude and actually asked my husband why they always did this .
He said he doesn’t know .

Thanks for the hug Mups I needed that it’s such a strain .
I think next time they come I will arrange a visit elsewhere.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

19-01-2020, 05:04 PM

I think they are truly introverted
I don’t expect them to like me at all in fact I would prefer not to be here with them and do indeed make sure they have plenty of time alone with their Dad.

They are not children and we would never in a year of Sunday’s have anything in common if I were not married to their father .

The younger one only directs her attention to her dog and to her sister .
I find it weird to be honest .

I admire you,for keeping the peace.....I know exactly what you mean...

We aren't used to that behaviour..because we are very social human beings.

Some aren't though are they....we just have to live with it,try to understand where they are coming from.....but it's far from easy.and as you say,it's one heck of a strain.....I used to be exhausted after my family members girlfriend left....in fact I was glad to get rid of her...not nice thing to say,,but it's the truth.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2020, 05:10 PM

I am myself .
It’s been a lovely day today sunny and bright but I have had my husbands adult daughters staying for the weekend .
They are introverted to an extreme and just don’t engage .
They never ask a single question - not one .
I introduced umpteen subjects .
They never took up one .
These topics ranged from topical Harry and Meghan ( I don’t want to talk about them ) historical Richard 111 ( we heard he was found in a car park) , to TV have you seen the series on Christine Keebler ( never heard of her ) dogs ,.( no my dog doesn’t do this that or the other . ( it’s did however have diarrhoea all over my kitchen floor which I cleaned up as they Don’t get up until late ) Their plans for the year if any ( none)

We went for a walk it’s was beautiful they hung back 100 yards .( they walk as slow as two octogenians) and never once walked or talked to us this also is usual .

I had more conversation with a complete stranger I met who was walking her dog !

Mr M says they are always like this .( he is a quiet person too so he’s thinks it’s natural ) I feel desperate to talk to someone who actually offers some conversation anything !
Hi Muddy!

To me, that all suggests that they are holding a grudge.

& ganging up to increase the impact!

Maybe you have to confront them and ask them to fess up?

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top