Join for free
Page 14 of 15 « First < 4 12 13 14 15 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2020, 02:20 PM

Re: TV licenses and the over 75s

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
For people over 75 on Benefits they will continue to get a free BBC licence, let's not lose sight of that.

That is correct.
If you are on Pension Credit, you get a free licence if you are over 75.

I am not sure if you are under 75 but on pension credit, do you still have to pay?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2020, 05:57 AM

I thought the BBC were withdrawing the free licenses because they were short of cash? Obviously not!!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ence-fees.html
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2020, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I thought the BBC were withdrawing the free licenses because they were short of cash? Obviously not!!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ence-fees.html
They are!

They have to pay their directors and 'celebrities' a king's ransom.

And what do we get out of it?
Repeats!

Yes, above all, the BBC is a money-making organisation.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2020, 11:21 PM

I have just seen a report of underhand activities by one of the TV licence police. This was found in the 'comments' section following this YouTube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMso_olM7vA

"We had a visit from a person that was acting on behalf of TV licensing. I explained why i don't need a license and talked at length about the motoring & electronics channels on YouTube that I watch. Also the channels that the girls watch Saffron Barker etc etc. Overall he seemed a nice chap and explained this is quite common and there are a huge number that don’t need a license. He reassured us that he would get us removed from some list, so my partner signed the paperwork. Bad move.

Here’s why, We put trust in this guy because he seemed very friendly, but what he actually did was write on his report that we were ‘watching ITV’, he NEVER set foot in the door, nevermind the living room because my two German Shepard dogs were in there! He could not have seen or heard anything because the TV is In the back room of an enclosed property I also paused Tavarish (a YouTube video) because I didn’t want to miss my place.

We have since received a letter from the Leicester courts that we have a final reminder of a fine to pay of £100 in two parts of £50 or so. Its fair to say we have well and truly have been forced in to a corner and have zero say in the matter. Not fair in the slightest."

This, of course, is only hearsay. Nevertheless, it sends a valuable message to anyone who receives a call from one of these people.
One following suggestion was to video any discussion or even the whole visit by one of these people. They may sound nice and polite when you're speaking with them, but don't fall for it!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2020, 12:39 AM

As I am not 75 it doesnt make a lot of difference to me .
I do feel peeved re BBC and those overpaid idiots they employ and really sorry for old people on low incomes to whom tv is such a blessing.
It’s not right
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

29-08-2020, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
As I am not 75 it doesnt make a lot of difference to me .
I do feel peeved re BBC and those overpaid idiots they employ and really sorry for old people on low incomes to whom tv is such a blessing.
It’s not right
I'm not 75 either. I'm 68 and, like you, still a spring chicken.

I despise the way that the left-wing BBC can afford to spread its political messages and, into the bargain, pay its executives and celebrities silly amounts of money, when we the general public are obliged to pay them to do so, especially when I don't believe in their left-wing views.

Not any more, though. I don't see why I, or anyone else, should have to pay to support a political organisation with which we disagree.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2020, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
That is correct.
If you are on Pension Credit, you get a free licence if you are over 75.

I am not sure if you are under 75 but on pension credit, do you still have to pay?
Yes mups
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2020, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
True, but you still don't need a TV licence for radio.
Unless, of course, you're happy to help pay Linneker £1,500,000 per year.
Just think,

1.5 million for Lin-acher, that means that you have to have 9527.43 people paying 157.44 a year (TV Fee) just to pay that one person's salary.

By the time you add in some of the other grossly overpaid nitwits (in Radio/TV) it probably costs the whole of a major city to cover the cost.

Are they worth it?

The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2020, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Just think,

1.5 million for Lin-acher, that means that you have to have 9527.43 people paying 157.44 a year (TV Fee) just to pay that one person's salary.

By the time you add in some of the other grossly overpaid nitwits it probably costs the whole of a major city to cover the cost.

Are they worth it?

But Lineker does front a number of programs that the BBC sell overseas so the income from those sales must be taken into account when considering his salary.

What's more the taxes on £1.5 meg will be horrendous and go into the UK treasury.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

29-08-2020, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
What's more the taxes on £1.5 meg will be horrendous and go into the UK treasury.
Ah, yes. I can see why the government is in no rush to reform the BBC. They are funded by the EU and pay taxes to the UK government. That explains a lot!

Page 14 of 15 « First < 4 12 13 14 15 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top