Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2011, 10:55 PM

Bandwidth

Can anyone explain this to me please?

Whenever I try to watch something on Catch-Up on BBC iPlayer, sometimes the programmes stops and I am advised that I have "insufficient bandwidth to watch this programme."

However, it only happens with certain programmes, not all of them, and that never happens when watching STV Player or ITV Player.

When this happens, I back-track out of the programme then re-start it, and it's fine after that.

It is so infuriating so can anybody teccy out there explain please?
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

21-12-2011, 01:00 AM

Re: Bandwidth

The bandwidth is really the data transfer rate.

There is another thread on Broadband speeds here somewhere but simply put, if you are concerned as to why it takes so long to download certain Web pages or other files to your computer especially videos, it's all determined by the bandwidth of the connection between your computer and your Internet Service Provider. There are so many things that go toward a decent speed but perhaps the biggest for non cable users is the bandwidth contention ratio.

Once you access your broadband the signal joins a cable or pipe that connects your neighbours and others to the web; so the more people using it at once, the slower it can become. This is often why people see their broadband connection slow down during peak usage times. A higher broadband contention ratio means more users potentially sharing your connection.

To try and get a idea of bandwidth and using a very simple example, you have a full glass of water (which represents the broadband bandwidth capacity at the ISP) you use a very narrow straw with which to drain the glass (which represents your connection) It takes a very long time to get a drink. now if you have the same glass with a much larger straw the flow rate is much quicker and unhindered and your thirst is quenched all the sooner.

If you have a very slow connection there are a couple of things you can do to eliminate the 'buffering 'of videos.
When you want to watch a video, close down all other instances of your browser including any messenger type apps and especially any P2P things you may have running.
The 'Buffering' is simply that your computer is downloading the video to a temporary file location so that it can play it to you.
If you have a poor connection to the particular site that hosts the video then the buffering will be slower than the video playback and you get a jerky video. To stop this, use the pause button and wait for the buffering to finish and then watch your video stream.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2011, 01:09 AM

Thanks George, I really do understand all of that. I am a Cable user and whenever I try to watch stuff on BBC iPlayer I occasionally get that buffering which stops the video from playing.

What I sometimes do, is click on minimise, then full screen again and it usually returns to normal, but not in every case.

I never try to watch a video whilst I've got other tabs open as I learned that lesson a bit back, and try not to watch at peak times.

It is so aggravating.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

21-12-2011, 01:19 AM

Cable users are not usually so badly affected Mollie but it is down to demand, if you have a few folks who are downloading huge files all the time it will be a drain on the available resources.

Most ISP's are running 'traffic management or fair use policy' schemes where they restrict the speeds available at source to heavy users but even at the throttled speeds they have it is still a drain on everyone else.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire

21-12-2011, 01:25 AM

So it's a case of put up and shut then, I suppose.

Not to worry. It's not the end of life as we know it, just an inconvenience!

ISPs will get it right one day!
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2011, 11:39 AM

I am with Virgin Media and sometimes there is a problem with 4OD. I get a message come up saying its unavailable. I click OK and go in again and its fine. Happens quite a lot as I watch Deal no Deal on catch up every night when I get home from work.

Also to any other Virgin users out there do you sometimes find that you are watching TV and suddenly it goes to a blue screen. I have to switch off and on again from the TV remote and its fine again. This happens quite a lot as well.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2011, 01:22 PM

This is the link I use to check my speeds.......

http://www.speedtest.net/

My current speeds are:

Download: 9.65mbps
Upload: 0.88mbps
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2011, 02:17 PM

Thanks for that Mags, just tried it and mine is as below and I don't have a darn clue what it means so why did I do it?
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire

21-12-2011, 06:10 PM

I regularly do a speed test, especially when things appear to be running slowly, but it's always up around the 10 mark on the download like yours, Mags.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

22-12-2011, 06:25 PM

Talking about Virgin Media, I noticed the other day that a new customer can get the same package for less money per month than I currently pay.

Out of curiosity I checked with their call centre and indeed I could have the same deal but I have to take out a new 12 month contract with them with all the stipulations back at the start again.

So, if I wanted to change suppliers there would be no problem with the 30 day notice on the package as a whole but on the Broadband service there would be an early cancellation charge which according to them is a pro-rata costing.

What I found more disappointing was the attitude of " if you are not happy then go to BT and believe me their problems are far worse"

A great shame there is no real alternative round here apart from the obvious one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top