Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2010, 05:09 PM

Don`t go to Specsavers?

I have worn glasses for years and for the past few years have been going to Specsavers - but the last 3 pairs I got fell to pieces within 3 months, needing repairs every few weeks or so.
So I got fed up and went and moaned at them - and they said come in for a test and we`ll sort you out a replacement pair.
When i went for the test, an assistant snarled at me that I wasn`t entitled to one yet and made me feel like I was a scrounger so I left.
I went to another chain, had a test...and recieved a totally different prescription, plus the news that I have a cataract forming.
So - people who go to Specsavers - you may want to change your optician occasionally!
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2010, 05:22 PM

Re: Don`t go to Specsavers?

That's shocking Claire, . . it seems you can't trust anyone in the medical profession nowadays.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2010, 05:27 PM

Not the first 'non-recommendation' I've heard for Specsavers
moetmum
Hampshire
moetmum is female  moetmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2010, 08:07 PM

I suppose it depends on the individuals in the branch but I have heard of other dissatisfied customers.
romfty
spain
romfty is male 

23-01-2010, 09:33 PM

Last time I was in the Uk I went into specsavers in Newbury and complained that the glasses I got on a previous visit kept loosing the lenses out of loose frames. The lady took my glasses and case away and said 'We'll have a look'. I sat there in a busy reception area fuming........until she came back about ten minutes later, gave me my glasses and said, "Sorry they have been a nuisance, but we have tightened the frames up a bit, but if you get any more problems then you really should take them back to Donald and Aitchisonn, where you got them from, you see we don't sell that type of frame".
Oooops!
twizzle
somerset
twizzle is female  twizzle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2010, 10:44 PM

Ooops indeed. I bet you beat a hasty retreat

I use Specsavers and they are very polite and helpful but maybe that's because I still have to pay for my test.

I think you get what you pay for with the quality of frames but they will tighten them up etc free. It's all about the price though really. Other opticians can be very expensive.
sixdeck
New Member!
Bransgore UK
sixdeck is male 

24-01-2010, 07:47 PM

Hi, I tried out these guys - they sent a bunch of people sent as sheep into specsavers accusing them of not offering good value! www.glassesdirect.com - all you need is a prescription and they'll send your glasses to you; they even send you 4 different styles for you to try out for free. Anyway, up to you but frankly any alternative to them has got to be good!
twizzle
somerset
twizzle is female  twizzle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2010, 07:53 PM

I do use them with my Specsavers prescriptions for spare single vision glasses! But it's a bit more complicated if you want varifocals because they have to send someone out to you to measure you up and I don't think it's that much cheaper. I'll have another look , though, thanks.
Wanda
High Peak, Derbyshire, UK
Wanda is female  Wanda has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2010, 08:04 PM

I have tried two different branches of Specsavers, and found one lot to be absolutely dreadful, whilst the second have been fantastic.

I wear contact lenses and glasses (not at the same time, I hasten to add), and the Specsavers I go to now have got my prescriptions for both to an absolute perfection - for the first time in the 40 odd years that I have worn contact lenses, I can now just swap between lenses and glasses with no noticeable difference in my vision. (After wearing hard contact lenses for many years, as I have, they change the shape of the front of your eye, so getting glasses that give you good vision is very, very difficult).

I've never had a problem with faulty glasses, and the staff could not be more polite or helpful.

Specsavers are a franchise, so I presume it depends on the individual who takes out the franchise as to how good the service will be.
Barbara B
New Member!
Salisbury
Barbara B is female 

26-01-2010, 03:31 PM

Hi Sixdeck

I think that glassesdirect have a sister company. Check out www.hearingdirect.com I tested my hearing on line and scored 72%.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top