Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2020, 12:22 PM

Re: Work, job turned down

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Primus, How could you eat the food or drink offered to you?
I learned my lesson when l used to do elderly ladies hair in their homes.
After having to drink some rank tea or eat sweets that had been held in their fist that was under their armpit, of folded arms, l realised it was best to say, ‘No thanks, l’ve just had some tea before l came out’.
Some biscuits tasted as they’d been in the biscuit tin for years... Oh and the stale homemade cakes with hairs in them.

Was l being ungrateful? Probably... but l was too young to die!

I would just ask for a glass of tap water, if pushed!

Oh, and l won't go too deeply into having their dogs doing rude stuff to my leg whilst l was putting the rollers in their hair.
Whatever floats your boat.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2020, 12:35 PM

If anyone remembers BBC's "A Life of Grime" then they'll remember Mr Trebus opening up one of the reclaimed and unplugged refrigerators in his overgrown garden, extracting a packet of reclaimed (presumably out-of-date) biscuits and offering one to the cameraman .....
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2020, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Sounds like you worked for a boss then mart??

Donkeyman! ????
For 23 years yes (including the apprenticeship) but went self-employed for 11 years after that.

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Nice attitude Mart.
I liked meeting all classes of people and leaving them with a smile when a job was done (they can watch television that evening! ). I think that's why I did the job for so long. All those meeting the public in their homes for a living have their stories.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2020, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
For 23 years yes (including the apprenticeship) but went self-employed for 11 years after that.

I liked meeting all classes of people and leaving them with a smile when a job was done (they can watch television that evening! ). I think that's why I did the job for so long. All those meeting the public in their homes for a living have their stories.
Mart, Your post reminded me of the 1970’s. The television engineer that used to come to my house was very serious and correct and wore a trilby hat and brown leather gloves.
This one day, he was explaining about the new television he had brought and installed.
He was standing in front of me, explaining in his usual serious way when l was aware of my mischievous 5 year old son behind him, waving his hands about like Al Jolston. He'd only got the man’s trilby hat and leather gloves on.

I used to be a bit naughty, if l didn’t like the way the engineer set the television picture. After, he’d gone, l would take the back of the television off, put a big mirror at the front of it and with a screwdriver, l would adjust the knobs inside to get the picture to my liking.
It never occurred to me that l could’ve got electrocuted!
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2020, 03:56 PM

You're here to tell the tale anyway Art ..but yes, there were some voltages floating around in those old TVs that could hurt a bit. Clothes-wise, I was a smart casual man myself.

We had a few technical factories in this area. I'd occasionally go to repair a TV and get told, "My husband is a technical researcher at .... He says such and such is wrong but he hasn't got the part to fix it."

There were signs that he'd been in the back and had a go but made right a mess of it. He might have been a technical researcher at .... but he knew nothing about how to fix a TV fault, that was for sure!
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2020, 04:16 PM

Mart, Your post reminded me of the 1970’s. The television engineer that used to come to my house was very serious and correct and wore a trilby hat and brown leather gloves.
This one day, he was explaining about the new television he had brought and installed.
He was standing in front of me, explaining in his usual serious way when l was aware of my mischievous 5 year old son behind him, waving his hands about like Al Jolston. He'd only got the man’s trilby hat and leather gloves on.

I used to be a bit naughty, if l didn’t like the way the engineer set the television picture. After, he’d gone, l would take the back of the television off, put a big mirror at the front of it and with a screwdriver, l would adjust the knobs inside to get the picture to my liking.
It never occurred to me that l could’ve got electrocuted!
Exceedingly unlikely it would be an engineer, engineer is a professional status. Infinitely more likely it would at best be a technician.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2020, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
You're here to tell the tale anyway Art ..but yes, there were some voltages floating around in those old TVs that could hurt a bit. Clothes-wise, I was a smart casual man myself.

We had a few technical factories in this area. I'd occasionally go to repair a TV and get told, "My husband is a technical researcher at .... He says such and such is wrong but he hasn't got the part to fix it."

There were signs that he'd been in the back and had a go but made right a mess of it. He might have been a technical researcher at .... but he knew nothing about how to fix a TV fault, that was for sure!
The old (vacuum tube /valve) televisions were death traps in many ways as soon as the back cover was removed. Most even contained a source of "soft" x-rays when running. The early color beasts were even worse. Most of the early non-solid state things did produce a hazardous level of x-rays if the safety covers inside were left off.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2020, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Exceedingly unlikely it would be an engineer, engineer is a professional status. Infinitely more likely it would at best be a technician.
TAT, I purposely, stated engineer as l didn’t want to diminish anyone’s qualification and insult them.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

03-05-2020, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
The old (vacuum tube /valve) televisions were death traps in many ways as soon as the back cover was removed. Most even contained a source of "soft" x-rays when running. The early color beasts were even worse. Most of the early non-solid state things did produce a hazardous level of x-rays if the safety covers inside were left off.
I heard the theory that repairers of early mono and colour TVs would have small families because of radiation. It never worked in my case, even though the PD 500 (colour TVs) shield was sometimes not in place during fault-finding. All efforts to stop my family becoming larger failed.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

03-05-2020, 05:21 PM

TAT, I purposely, stated engineer as l didn’t want to diminish anyone’s qualification and insult them.
We were called engineers for years but the company I worked for did, in the end, make the distinction between engineers and technicians ..and so technicians we were.

I generally use the term 'repairer' or 'mender' when referring to myself but sometimes the word 'engineer' slips out because it was used for so many years. Anyway, I'm not any of those now and haven't been for ages.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top