Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Dominique
New Member!
Surrey, UK
Dominique is female 

29-09-2019, 12:40 PM

How to introduce my grand daughters to my new 1 year old dog

Hi,
My 2 grand daughters (4 and 1 year old) are coming to visit for 8 days. We got a dog 3 months ago and she is 1 year old. She is a Sproodle and very lively. I am a little bit concerned about how she will react to 2 young children in her territory and what the the best introduce them to each other is? Out in the park first or at home? Any comments and help from previous experience would be welcome!
Thank you,
Dominique
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2019, 12:52 PM

Re: How to introduce my grand daughters to my new 1 year old dog

What on earth is a Sproodle?
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2019, 12:53 PM

Keep the kids and the dog well separated at all times. Seriously.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2019, 01:04 PM

Hi Dominique, I can understand you may be a little anxious over introducing your granddaughters to your dog for the first time. All I can advise as a dog owner is that when they first meet, your dog needs to see that you yourself are calm at all time, you are the first one they will look at, to pick up on your mood or reaction to anyone entering their territory. In fact, a good dog trainer once told me that a foolproof way of introducing someone new to an excited or anxious barking dog on their territory, is for them to just stand quietly and turn their back on the dog. This, he said, will show the dog that they are not facing him or a threat to him, and it gives the dog the opportunity to move forward and sniff them. Once they can see there is no threat, it calms them down immensely. Worth a try.

But, hope you won't mind me saying, please don't EVER leave young children alone with dogs. Never worth the risk, honestly.

Hope the introduction goes well. I'm sure it will. Calmness being the operative word. Good luck. xx
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2019, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Keep the kids and the dog well separated at all times. Seriously.
I totally agree.

When l first got a dog when my children were younger. A ‘dog’ friend advised.
‘When other children come to your house, put your dog in another room’.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2019, 01:07 PM

At a guess, would imagine a Sproodle is half Springer Spaniel, half Poodle. May be wrong though.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

29-09-2019, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I totally agree.

When l first got a dog when my children were younger. A ‘dog’ friend advised.
‘When other children come to your house, put your dog in another room’.
I certainly don't disagree with this either Art,but impossible for Dominique in this case as they are there for 8 days! so they need to be introduced carefully to each other.

I often remember my youngest brother telling me that when he was young, and visited his girlfriend's parents home, they had a Yorkshire Terrier. He called it the Dogdevil from Hell! it was so vicious that whenever he entered through the front door, it would immediately go for his legs. (he says he still has the scars to prove it) The dog was so protective it was ridiculous). And it wasn't just him, it was anyone.

Scary! My two would probably lick anyone to death, or belt them with their everwagging tails, but I still wouldn't leave them alone with a child - ever.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2019, 01:20 PM

I would introduce your grandchildren and your dog on the park. See how they behave with each other and then if OK all go back to the house together. Always be present when they are together and, if necessary to avoid too much excitement keep your dog on a lead. Follow the normal routine you have with your dog. Your own attitude and behaviour is all important and your dog should be under no illusion that you accept the children. You should know your dog very well, how it is likely to behave and it's temperament. An excitable dog is not usually a dangerous dog. Make sure the children are not excitable and try to overwhelm the dog with affection - tell them to ignore the dog and not fuss over it. Keep all food out of the way for a while. Hopefully it will go well - just make sure you are the leader in any interactions. I have two dogs at the moment (I have had dogs for many years) and have never had any problems between my grandchildren and the dogs. If in any doubt about your dog's temperament (and you should know) keep children and dog separate.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2019, 03:31 PM

Hi

I was fortunate with the littlies and the dog.

We turned it into a game, the littlies would throw food for it whilst they where on our laps.

They soon became the best of friends.

Never allowed in the same room without an adult, which was very sensible.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2019, 03:54 PM

We had a few issues which we had to resolve with our dog and my young son - though he was older than your grandchildren.

Dogs are pack animals and will associate themselves with whoever they perceive to be the head of the pack. So your grandchildren need to be higher up in the ranks than the dog, so the children must be obeyed by the dog........though I think the youngest is too young for this and they both need to know the dog can't be played with like a toy.

We carried out two actions with great success. My husband (as perceived head of the pack), told the dog to sit in his basket. Then my young son had to drag the dog out of the basket and sit in it himself.......all under the watchful eye of the head of the pack.

The other action, was the children should put the dogs food bowl down at the correct time whilst the dog is being told to sit and stay by the head.

Sounds daft - but it's dog psychology!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top