Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2019, 12:33 PM

Where do I start Please?

Yesterday, I spent one and half hours just looking through my lovely Late Mum’s old photo albums. Bless her, she would always have her cheap Kodak camera handy at any and every opportunity to take family photos, usually with many of them with heads and bodies and actual people in the frame, missing! But she loved taking them and then waiting for them to be developed so she could show them off and then put them into the albums.
It’s so nice to look back and smile.

So,then I looked at the many dozens of photos taken by either HWMO or myself, which languish either on my iphone or laptop, and wonder what will happen to them if and when both are discarded or damaged. We will have nothing for our family to look through in years to come, no memories of happy times. So I am trying to find the best way to get through these dozens upon dozens of online photos and get them printed out onto photograph paper so I can put them all into new Albums. Does anyone know the best way to do this please? If I enlarge each picture, it’s the size of the laptop screen, which is far too large for an album page.

I haven’t got a clue how to go about doing it, HWMO doesn’t either. The rest of the family when I told them what I wanted to do, just gave blank looks wondering why I want to undertake such a task as they are so used to holding all of their photos online. They seem to have no appreciation of just how precious these photos from the past, are.

Grateful thanks in advance for any help or advice.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2019, 12:43 PM

Re: Where do I start Please?

I did the only one of my parents from hard copy to computer and a new print.

Took me 5 hours to partially restore from this

to this

So putting them onto hard copies will only fade to sepia after a time. Best to store them on a couple of backup disks
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2019, 01:15 PM

Do you think so? I know they will be protected on backup discs, but there is still a dange they too could be damaged or somehow go missing, whereas photo albums wouldn't. That is a lovely photo of your parents by the way.
5 hours though??? If it takes that long to do one, I will be gone before I get through them all. I don't really want to edit any though, just straightforward transfer to photograph paper print outs, but if as you say, they will eventually turn out sepia, that's not a good thought.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2019, 01:19 PM

You don't say if you're wanting to print them at home or from another source.

Personally, I would select the best ones and upload them to a photo developing site like Truprint or Bonusprint where you can choose what size print you want. Most of these sites do offers like x amount of prints for x amount of money. I believe you can also edit them as well.

I have tried home photo printing myself but the cost of the inks is prohibitive and if you don't use all the ink up it dries out and can't be used.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2019, 01:33 PM

If you feel like upping your budget Shrops, have you considered turning them into photo books? I did one recently which looks fantastic.

Say you had x8 pics per page and opted for 24 pages, that's 192 pics (plus cover) Or you can get creative as I did and have full page pics and pics at angles etc. Photobox are currently doing it for around £18.

https://www.photobox.co.uk/shop/phot...over-photobook

I created another one about ten years ago and it still look in perfect condition.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2019, 01:38 PM

FWIW I make folders on my computer by category and month and scan the images in. I also back them up on DVDs in the event that the computer falls over.

shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

19-11-2019, 01:43 PM

Thank you so much LD. I didn't realise there are companies that will do the task for me. With these photobooks, are they online to look at, or are they a hard copy (like an album you can actually hold?).

I will certainly look into it.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2019, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Thank you so much LD. I didn't realise there are companies that will do the task for me. With these photobooks, are they online to look at, or are they a hard copy (like an album you can actually hold?).

I will certainly look into it.
You make the book online and when you are satisfied, they send you the hard copy of the book in the post. You can take as long as you like creating it, you can add or remove pictures, change formats, backgrounds, add borders - all sorts of things. You just save your book each time you log out, then continue on next time. I opted for glossy pages option which looks great. Once you get used to using the website it really is addictive as you see your creation unfolding.

If you do go for it and need any help, just let me know.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

19-11-2019, 01:51 PM

What a lovely photo Besoeker,
I am looking for a physical album though, I am not techno savvy at all and fear that all of my precious photos that I uploaded from my iphone to my laptop (straightforward even for thicko like me) will one day disappear. I know I can backup but I'm old school and love looking through an album rather than browsing through them one by one. I want to be able to gaze at a double page of photos, much more pleasurable for me personally.

I have a feeling if I try myself to do this task, I will end up throwing my laptop through the window, so will look up companies that will do the job for me.

Thank you each for your valuable help.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

19-11-2019, 01:57 PM

You can also use online free designs like this one. I just had to include their name on the back cover. I just added the 'baby' pic into the balloon.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	40778790b0be319a2891916789d68eac966a052ca82d40faf361c7f9de1d96a43ff592bd3d4a163c0c8f3d7a.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	11099  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top