Join for free
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2019, 10:13 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Sometimes folks wobble, it happens, but when a folk wobbles at an annual event, when previous yearly events have been steady as a rock, that could be a cause for concern, or not, maybe, time will tell.
Cause for concern indeed.
Sometimes the humble wobble can be mistaken for intoxication, especially at annual events.
I know a fella who never touched a drop in his life but was prone to long bouts of wobbling at the most embarrassing times, he also had a stammer which didn’t help in his night job as a bingo caller, anyway he got so fed up with people accusing him of being drunk that he took to drinking, sort of he might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamp and if the cap fits thing, the strange thing now is, even if he is an alcoholic, he hasn’t had a wobble since, a real case of the cure being worse than the disease.
Then there’s the wiggle as opposed to the wobble, there was even a dance out in the late 50’s called the “Wiggle Wobble” The idea of that one was to shake like a jelly on a plate, but just like those other dances “The Shakedown” “The Mashed Potato” and “Funky Gibbon” they never caught on over here, “The Twist” was a roaring success.
When I think of all the stupid dances they had out in my youth I shudder in shame, and we have the cheek to slag off todays kids.

I’m glad things worked out for the “micro” pig Solo, the poor creature must have been bewildered and frightened when the lady died, well done to the firemen God bless them.

Talking of big, the Gene Pitney impersonator last night wasn’t bad, he must have been 18 stone if he was an ounce, 70ish, a short 70 and a long ish, with no hair and about 5’ tall, I’d say he was great in his younger years, but his voice had the slight shaky touch of age about it, he looked to be struggling when going for the high notes.
We were sitting just below him at the stage and the smell of Old Spice aftershave was overpowering, he must have had a bath in it. All in all it was an enjoyable night, the old girls were in great form.

I’m hearing that old song a lot in an ad on TV, “The windmills of your mind”
Is having windmills in your mind the same as having Bats in your Belfry? Never could figure out that song.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2019, 10:48 AM

"I have never been a fan of Halloween"...there I have said it.

I dont think my generation were too keen on it either and if we were we kept quiet about it as it was a tad scary. All that dead soul stuff along with ghosts fair gave you the willies and kept most of us close to our Mothers skirts...and going to the dark outside loo was definitely out that night. Chambers pots were a lot safer

If you were brave enough to venture out and risk a clip round the ear for tricking and treating you wore an old cut down sheet with eye holes carefully snipped out. Non of this store bought stuff that looks as though it came out of some eccentric film stars wardrobe and cost the earth.

Mind you that Thriller song with Michael Jackson is now very doable to dance to for us oldies as the moves are how we move anyway these days. What goes around comes around.... Thrilling innit .

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2019, 10:13 PM

One thing our parents got right about Halloween, even though they probably didn’t know it at the time, the tight household finances dictated it, it was to give out fruit to the kids who knocked on the door, nuts, apples. pears, oranges, grapes, and maybe a coconut to the VIP kids. like the three the local councillor had, they were important kids because their dad could fix up jobs for the fathers in the council. Nobody had sweets or chocolate for themselves never mind callers at the door, just good wholesome fruit.
Halloween used to be known to the fruit sellers in Moore Street as the “Dealers Christmas” not anymore it’s not, sad that.
If you gave a kid fruit today they’d probably hit you with it, sweets, crisps and chocolate bars are the order of today, is it any wonder we have relays of Billy and Betty Bunters knocking at our doors on Halloween night.
At our school homework was called “Exercise” or ekker for short, to be done in our exercise book, and on Halloween day all the class would sign their names to a page for the teacher, I still remember what it said in block letters on top of the page.
“Apples are nice, nuts are better
Please Mr. Kenny, give us no ekker”
Not exactly Shakespeare but it did the trick.

Phyllis loves Halloween and she’s busy as I type making up bags of junky fattening stuff for the callers, she always gets a good crowd of kids much to her delight, I just stand by and let her do her thing.
She went one better than those seniors in the video, here she is dancing with the real thing. Feel free to slag all you like about her partner, I can take it.
"Take these chains from my heart and set me free..."

solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2019, 01:25 PM

Great photo and thank you for sharing...but I have to say you have definitely lost weight and are looking a bit pale there Jem

Now I am no doubt going to hell on a handcart for posting this clip but the thought of all those greedy kids eating all those bags of junky fattening stuff is worth going to hell for..... wot about us oldies who like sweets

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

30-10-2019, 11:23 PM

As everyone over 60 knows Solo, sweets are good for giving oldies more energy, Toblerone is my favourite energy boost, so is Guinness, but not together.
Ah children, I love them, ever since I was one myself, they are so funny at times, and when they grow up they remember everything, especially if you nick any of their sweets.
We only had the two, wish we had more, now even the grandkids are adults, except for little Patrizio who’ll be seven in March.

Speaking of the little fella, and this is a true story believe it or not, it’s no skin off my nose. I may have posted this tale before, if so I apologise for that.
About six years ago my son was out in a house in Skerries Co. Dublin, he was there to fix a Romanian woman’s computer, the woman lived in the house with her elderly mother, her husband was dead I believe. She worked at home and the computer was essential to her work.
They were talking as he was working on the machine and he mentioned that his father (me) made jewellery, with that she went over to a sideboard and took a large red glass ball from a drawer and asked the son to ask me to mount it as a pendant in silver and make a long 22” heavy chain to go with it. (see finished article below, I seldom photograph my work but this one was special) she said it had been in her family for at least two centuries. He fixed her machine and took the ball home with him.
I examined the ball then estimated my time and the cost of the metals to give her a price, she accepted and I made it up. I noticed while holding the ball in my hand that it was fairly hot, even in the cool shed, something strange about it that is hard to put into words, more of a feeling inside me when I held it, weird I thought.
When I called out to her house to deliver the pendant she was very pleased with it, she paid me in cash, then told me to hold the ball in the palm of my left hand, next she placed her hand over mine and told me to make a wish.
As it happens I was badly in need of a good wish, my son had been married for ten years and they were trying hard to have a child but no luck. I wished that they would be blessed with either a boy or girl, wasn’t fussy which. Then I went home and forgot all about it. Two weeks later we got a phone call from the daughter in law to say she was definitely pregnant, and the following March the little lad was born as fit as a fiddle.
Strange eh?

solo
UK

31-10-2019, 03:07 PM

What a fascinating stone that is with it's unusual markings...thought it was maybe a Red Jasper orb.

Stones seem to have so many meanings attached to them...some lucky...some healing although I doubt Virginia Woolf had that in mind when she filled her pockets with them and then went for a walk inthe river Ouse. Sank like a stone she did.

Nice to think though that a loving wish made miles away was responsible for little Patrizi.

Now I am not suggesting that anyone should copy the below clip but it would save you sharing those sweets....wouldn't it

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

31-10-2019, 09:57 PM

I can see that fella with the dummy getting a hiding before the night is out.

Some stones are really strange Solo.
One of the old neighbours called to the door last week, she wanted me to repair a gold opal ring, I always hoped that I would never see an opal again. I had to lie to her and say my polishing motor was out of action.
I wouldn’t touch an Opal with a barge pole, they are highly unlucky in my experience.
I was suspended from work because I wouldn’t make up a diamond and opal engagement ring for a special client of the boss, he got another goldsmith to make it for him and a wonderful job he made of it too, later that year the same young goldsmith went on a holiday to Greece and was drowned in a water skiing accident, I also heard that the engaged couple broke up two months before the wedding.
I have at least three more bad luck events where opals were involved, uncanny true events, maybe some day I’ll jot them down, better not, it would make depressing reading, even the thoughts of them gives me a shudder, there is something very weird about opals, you can keep ‘em, I’d rather be out of work and starve sooner than work with opals. I’ll bet the workers in the Australian opal mines have some tales to tell, if they were allowed that is, the Australian government has spent millions down the years to dispel peoples fear of the opal being an unlucky stone, well they would wouldn’t they, the White Star Line spent quite a few quid on publicity telling folks the Titanic was unsinkable too.
Anyway people are free to believe what they like and if you want to wear an opal necklace with matching earrings, an opal nose hook and lip clip that’s fine with me.
But don’t say you haven’t been warned.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2019, 11:21 PM

I ain't buying no more Opal Fruits.
solo
UK

01-11-2019, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
i ain't buying no more opal fruits.
solo
UK

01-11-2019, 11:03 AM

Always gone with the 'If a thing makes you feel uncomfortable, leave well alone' so you do best to follow your instincts be it with gem stones...and sweets of course, after all you could choke on one of them and deads dead no matter what the opal looked or tasted like.

There were loads of famous curse stories at one time. The Hope diamond, The Black Orlov and so on were all doom and gloom to those who risked owning them....let alone daring to push their luck and actually wear it...before their luck ran out and they croaked in one horrible way or another

You would have thought that if a stone was worth murdering for it's going to have some sort of power..bit like one of those once fashionable Mood Rings that turned different shades depending on how you were feeling...and if it turned Black you worried for the rest of the day.

Makes me glad I have never been much of a jewellery wearer

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top