Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2019, 11:07 AM

Who were these many "Aunties" in the 50's?

https://www.sunlife.co.uk/blogs-and-...s-family-life/

Fascinating read-back about life growing up in the 50's, and how many people not related in any way, were often introduced as "Auntie .... and Uncle .....".

Do you recall having an unrelated "Auntie or Uncle" ?

I was chatting to HWMO yesterday about this. He, being a Londoner, said that he had lots of older ladies introduced to him by his parents as "This is your Auntie....." when he was a child. He believes some of them were female neighbours who had lost their husbands in WW1 and never remarried. He remembers learning that these ladies were always referred to as Auntie to the kids.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2019, 11:12 AM

Re: Who were these many "Aunties" in the 50's?

That's true Shrops. I remember having an Aunt Ivy who was not my Aunt, she wasn't related at all, just a friend of a Great Aunt.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2019, 11:15 AM

I grew up in the 1960's and apart from our blood relatives i.e. my parents' siblings, it was their best friends who were known as aunties and uncles. Uncle Eric and Auntie Eileen etc. They were always my aunties and uncles right through life even until they passed away.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2019, 11:16 AM

I had a few. Now, not even proper nephews & nieces are introduced to me as uncle d00d.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2019, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
I had a few. Now, not even proper nephews & nieces are introduced to me as uncle d00d.
But we can call you Uncle d00d if we like can't we mate? It has a ring to it like "Uncle Longdogs" or "Uncle Joe". Ooops! Can I say that?!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2019, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
But we can call you Uncle d00d if we like can't we mate? It has a ring to it like "Uncle Longdogs" or "Uncle Joe". Ooops! Can I say that?!
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2019, 11:29 AM

Interesting post. My maternal grandmother died when I was about 3. When my grandad married again my brother, sister and I referred to our new "gran" as "Auntie Dottie" not grandma. Aunt Dottie was a lovely lady and we all adored her but my mother would not have us calling her "grandma". She just said "Your Gran is gone"..That's that. But among indigenous Australians especially in the urban clans "Auntie" is an honorific title bestowed on senior female elders that young people know they can rely on for advice and support. They also play an important disciplinary role with young people and wield a level of authority that is deeply respected. THe same applies to "Uncle"
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2019, 11:32 AM

I lived in the Far East for many years all my children’s local friends called me auntie ( and still do ) it’s a way of being respectful .
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

18-11-2019, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I lived in the Far East for many years all my children’s local friends called me auntie ( and still do ) it’s a way of being respectful .
Not if they called me "Auntie Floydy" it's not
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2019, 11:48 AM

SG, What a nostalgic thread that stirs lots of lovely memories.

When l first read the thread title, l thought, we never called our aunts and uncles Aunt or Uncle, it was always by their first name. Then l suddenly thought of Aunt Josie who was my mother’s aunt and Aunt Cissie, Josie’s sister who was a spinster teacher.

When we lived in Ireland, Aunt Josie and Aunt Cissie were always the ones who came to help when my mother had a baby. I remember them standing on the doorstep with a fur thing around their necks with animal’s heads dangling at the end! The animal’s eyes seemed to stare at you!

Like you said, SG, the aunts were usually someone who had lost their husband or fiancé in the war.
Aunt Josie’s fiancé had gone to war and never came back. She stayed true to him and never bothered with anyone else.
She was always there when you needed her.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top