Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2015, 05:10 PM

Re: Observing 2 minutes silence.

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Yes, of course. Thank you.
I can see, then, why not 11/11/11, but what is the significance of having their silence at 8pm?

Absolutly no idea... But the Dutch are well known for being thrifty maybe they dont want to interrupt the working day!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2015, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Cass ->
Absolutly no idea... But the Dutch are well known for being thrifty maybe they dont want to interrupt the working day!
Good point.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2015, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Dobra ->
I am silent for two minutes too.
Me too.

In fact, I'm silent for much longer than that when my first wife is talking.
Heatherbelle
Canada
Heatherbelle is female  Heatherbelle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2015, 06:13 PM

My family always does this in respect for the soldiers whose lives were taken fighting for us. Here in my city, the media reported a huge turnout to cenotaphs and other ceremonies - well attended by young and old.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2015, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Cass ->
Stevmk2...On May 4th Dutch remebrance day there is 2 minutes silence at 8 pm.
Nothing moves. All tv and radio stations are silent busses pull over no train leaves a station and no flights leave Schipol.
All shops and bars are close at 8pm by law..
Everyone is indoors..
Watch the airport fall still at 8pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jba1QUKfDGU
Rotterdam, where I was based, was badly damaged by the Luftwaffe and many were killed because, or so I was told, there was supposedly a ceasefire in place at the time while talks took place between the two sides.

I was told that the German Commander at the scene agreed to hold fire but didn't know a superior, (possibly Hermann Göring himself), had over-ruled him and ordered-in the Luftwaffe so many, many people were caught out in the open.
At least 900 were killed and 85,000 homeless.

In my time there, Germans were still not welcome in Rotterdam and the Dutch are very gregarious normally. stevmk2
Skye
Uk
Skye is female 

13-11-2015, 11:19 AM

I attended a church service which was both beautiful and emotional. Total silence and deep thoughts in those two previous minutes.
mariana
Kent. Uk.
mariana is female  mariana has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2015, 02:39 PM

I also attended church last Sunday for our memorial sevice there, Because i live in a village, it was very personal, totally moving and beautiful. We sang my favourite hymn which is the modern version of "The Lords my Shepherd by Stuart Townend--check it out on Youtube. Afterwards everyone walked down to the village memorial, 10 minutes walk--wreaths were laid, prayers and hymns, and poems, plus the Silence--walk back to church where the Army cadets had laid on sandwiches, cakes and coffee in the church foyer. I left home at 9.00, back home at 1.00.

This morning we had another, shorter service at our coffee morning. Bryan, our vicar, read a story about 4 individual soldiers, relating to the tomb of the unknown Warrier-followed by a minutes silence and prayers. It was very emotional.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top