Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2013, 05:47 PM

Re: Tomato Plants (updated @ post 14)

Originally Posted by Janela ->
Hey, I can see two on the bottom right
Well spotted Jan, wonderful plants Alan...
AliceB
Cheshire
AliceB is female  AliceB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2013, 09:27 PM

I'm definitely no gardener and don't have a greenhouse. Last year, OH and I had a raised bed which meant that both of us could sit on the edge and manage it, but the tomatoes sulked - turned green and then vaguely yellow and no more.

This year, sadly being alone after OH's passing, I've tried again - hope I have better luck.

I always remember the smell of Dad's tomatoes and cucumbers grown in a little greenhouse - lovely.

Gwyn
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2013, 09:33 PM

In the UK you really need a green house or a sheltered south facing wall to grow toms ,,, can you get one of those plastic covers for them to protect them a little ? or put them in grow bags by a sunny window or in a conservatory ? Good luck with them...
AliceB
Cheshire
AliceB is female  AliceB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2013, 10:09 PM

I must admit that the last crop of tomatoes which thrived were in our last house, where the wall (in hindsight) was south-facing. They were absolutely wonderful.

The back garden here, catches the sun in the early morning/afternoon, then loses it later - I live in hope............

Gwyn
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2013, 10:01 AM

Taken on 19 June. The bottom truss has tomatoes the size of golf balls and there are 5 trusses on each plant. I usually stop them at 6 trusses. Should be eating them next month.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2013, 10:03 AM

Alan they look magnificent
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2013, 10:13 AM

Homegrown produce always tastes better, love tomatoes.
Uff
Scotland
Uff is female  Uff has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2013, 05:40 PM

Lovely, healthy plants Alan.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2013, 06:08 PM

Are you sure that they are tomatos Alan, they look more like Triffids to me..
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2013, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Nobaggage ->
In the UK you really need a green house or a sheltered south facing wall to grow toms ,,, can you get one of those plastic covers for them to protect them a little ? or put them in grow bags by a sunny window or in a conservatory ? Good luck with them...
My old man had two large greenhouses in his garden in Kent which he used almost exclusively for growing tomatoes. When he came to Australia to visit me many years ago he was so excited when he wandered behind my garage to discover several different varieties of tomatoes growing and fruiting out in the open.

I hadn't the heart to tell him that they were just seeds that had sprouted from my compost heap (it happens every year). I do harvest the fruit from them occasionally too, it is winter now and I picked the last of the cherry tomatoes about a week ago.

I'm not a gardener either so I prefer to buy my tomatoes; about the only other things I harvest from my garden are chillies, kumquats and oranges the latter two either made into marmalade or go in the bin far too many to eat.

I prefer my food to be wrapped in plastic

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top