Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2015, 08:38 PM

Hadron Collider Firing Up Again.

I don't mind admitting I'm thick .... amongst friends.

I've just read an article saying...
The staggeringly complex LHC ‘atom smasher’ at the CERN centre in Geneva, Switzerland, will be fired up to its highest energy levels ever in a bid to detect – or even create – miniature black holes.

If successful a completely new universe will be revealed – rewriting not only the physics books but the philosophy books too.

http://www.newshour.com.bd/2015/10/1...verse-in-days/

Can someone explain in simple ... simpler ... even simpler terms ... is that as dangerous as it sounds?

Or is this HC a scam and I've been watching too much Star Trek.
I mean, I can get me head around phasers and transporters, Vulcans and Klingons and Borg and tractor breams but I struggle with this.

Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2015, 09:17 PM

Re: Hadron Collider Firing Up Again.

If you studied Physics for about 5 years you just might understand it. If it should bring about the end of our world would it matter all that much ?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2015, 09:23 PM

Morticia, don't worry pet, firing up the Hadron Collider will be about as apparent as throwing a snowball at the sun. The effects of the collider are miniscule compared to the power of nature.
To the average person it will be a non-event and the results will mean nothing.
Sleep well Morticia.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2015, 09:25 PM

If you’re thick then I’m thicker, so between thick and thicker and dumb and dumber I think that this means scientists will eventually meet God and realise how stupid all their theories about creation were, they already call what this machine is looking for ’The God Particle” it’s as it was said all along but everyone became too cocky to believe the simple explanation, oh no it just couldn't be that easy, but it was, always stick to the simple things and you won't go wrong.
"In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth" (Genesis 1:1). Problem solved end of story, dismantle the machine and go home.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2015, 09:38 PM

Hi

No, not dangerous, it does not mean miss piggy being transmogrified into miss kermit.

Think of it as a prism, when light goes through a prism it is split into it's colours.

Same thing at the LHC, just a big prism splitting things into smaller bits so that we can see what they are made of.

When we were at school, atoms where made of protons, neutrons and electrons, now we know that atoms have loads of other bits in them.

Another dimension?

We think of things as being in four dimensions, that is how we were taught, that is how we see things with our senses.

Gravity we do not understand, what we do know is that what we think of as gravity can only work if there is a thing called a graviton, and a graviton can only exist in a fifth dimension, so when we find the graviton, which is one of the main things that the machine is looking for, we will have proved that another dimension exists.

A bit like the prism, which splits light into different colours which we can see, but there are bits of light we cannot see, like infra red and ultraviolet.

We can only see these with a machine, not with our eyes.

The LHC is just the biggest, most expensive, prism ever made.

The big fun will start if we can wind the energy up to a level where we can actually see the little things which are appearing before they are supposed to, because then we will know that the speed of light is not fixed, next stop, Warp Engines as per Star Trek.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2015, 09:46 PM

excellent explanation - you must have been a teacher once?
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2015, 10:13 PM

That did sound better than when I've gone googling. Thanks.. I shall digest it and put my scientific head on.

I think I get the gist. Try to map everything minuscule to discover the 'building blocks' of Life.
Except .. isn't that similar to when some boffin said .... Hey! We can split the atom now ... and learnt how to make nuclear bombs.

I admit ... I'm a dunce at this stuff.
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2015, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
If you’re thick then I’m thicker, so between thick and thicker and dumb and dumber I think that this means scientists will eventually meet God and realise how stupid all their theories about creation were, they already call what this machine is looking for ’The God Particle” it’s as it was said all along but everyone became too cocky to believe the simple explanation, oh no it just couldn't be that easy, but it was, always stick to the simple things and you won't go wrong.
"In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth" (Genesis 1:1). Problem solved end of story, dismantle the machine and go home.
What makes you think all their theories are "stupid"? Do you know how the Higgs-Boson became called The God Particle?

Who actually wrote Genesis 1:1? Problem isn't solved, as you put it. Scientists build machines like this because they need to understand the universe and not rely on bad stories like the one you quote from.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2015, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
excellent explanation - you must have been a teacher once?
Hi

Thank you for the compliment.

No, never a teacher, just years of trying to explain the obvious to politicians,
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2015, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
It's a good job mankind didn't always think like you Jem else we would still be living in caves and be hunter gatherers. Man's(and women's) quest for knowledge is insatiable and long may it remain so.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top