Join for free
Page 31 of 71 « First < 21 29 30 31 32 33 41 > Last »
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2016, 02:48 PM

Re: Trump to be the 45th USA President:your thoughts and the implications

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Former Chief of the Defence Staff Lord Richards was being interviewed on the radio earlier sounding positive about Trump.
He suggested
....that people were too quick to poke fun at Trump before the election not realising he was a serious contender,
....that the world could be a safer place with Trump in charge (rather than it would have been with Clinton the 'hawk' )
....that as some of us have already posted, many of Trumps pronouncements were taken too literally.
....that NATO would not only be safe but may even be strengthened with Trump at the helm when the mantle of responsibility falls on his head.
....that having a good dialogue with Putin may bring a swifter resolution to the Syria problem

Junker is looking for an excuse (Trump pronouncements on NATO included) to promote a 'european army', not a good idea we need NATO and Trump may be the person to squash his ambition. History has shown we can't rely on Europe and we need a wider field for our protection.
I think we just have to wait and see what kind of leader Trump will make, I have never been a fan of his but he could surprise us all
Hi

I could not agree more Megs.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2016, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Former Chief of the Defence Staff Lord Richards was being interviewed on the radio earlier sounding positive about Trump.
He suggested
....that people were too quick to poke fun at Trump before the election not realising he was a serious contender,
....that the world could be a safer place with Trump in charge (rather than it would have been with Clinton the 'hawk' )
....that as some of us have already posted, many of Trumps pronouncements were taken too literally.
....that NATO would not only be safe but may even be strengthened with Trump at the helm when the mantle of responsibility falls on his head.
....that having a good dialogue with Putin may bring a swifter resolution to the Syria problem

Junker is looking for an excuse (Trump pronouncements on NATO included) to promote a 'european army', not a good idea we need NATO and Trump may be the person to squash his ambition. History has shown we can't rely on Europe and we need a wider field for our protection.
I think we just have to wait and see what kind of leader Trump will make, I have never been a fan of his but he could surprise us all
That is one of the most worrying things about the EU's recent activities. I have always doubted the underlying reasons for creating a European Army (and presumably Navy and Air Force) under the sole control of the European Commission and, consequently, Merkel. I couldn't imagine the consequences if our own armed forces were part of that.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2016, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
That is one of the most worrying things about the EU's recent activities. I have always doubted the underlying reasons for creating a European Army (and presumably Navy and Air Force) under the sole control of the European Commission and, consequently, Merkel. I couldn't imagine the consequences if our own armed forces were part of that.
Hi

Panic not, it ain't going to happen.

For one thing, the Polish were fantastic Allies of ours in WW2, loads of Polish Air Force Squadrons over here at that time.

They suffered horrendously at the hands of the Germans, and they don't forget.

There will be vetoes all over the place, the Visegrad Group are all for NATO, not an EU Army.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2016, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Panic not, it ain't going to happen.

For one thing, the Polish were fantastic Allies of ours in WW2, loads of Polish Air Force Squadrons over here at that time.

They suffered horrendously at the hands of the Germans, and they don't forget.

There will be vetoes all over the place, the Visegrad Group are all for NATO, not an EU Army.
I'm not worried, providing that we do leave that circus.

I suspect that, if they do manage to create a European Army, it is likely to include Germany and their lapdogs, France. Other possibles might be Italy and possibly Austria and Spain, all of these having been 'allies' of Germany in the past!

Incidentally, I agree completely about the Poles. A friend of ours is the daughter of a Polish man who had an interesting story to tell. When the Germans invaded his homeland, he managed to escape and somehow made his way across Europe to France, where he later joined the Resistance. After the war ended, he was able to come to Britain - an 'immigrant' who, as far as I'm concerned, was very welcome to come to this country.
Flicker
France
Flicker is female  Flicker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2016, 06:40 PM

If Trump is serious and gets it through Congress he may well reuce the US's role in NATO.
At the same time Russia is meddling in Montenegro with a long Adriatic
coastline bordering Europe.

I am far happier being in control of an army to protect borders than to rely on the USA...seemingly fickle, and subject to THEIR politics which we have no say in.

Why do you want o be independent in the first instance but under someone else's control in your defense?
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2016, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Flicker ->
I spent some time talking with a friend in Florida last night who is reflecting the new "fashion" in mistreating the LGBT community and in general, minorities. Public harassment and actual attacks just as we saw and still see post Brexit.
It cannot be right, liberal or conservative, to target minority sections of a national community and call themselves "justified".

Further I am frankly astonished at how fast the rhetoric and promises of the last two years have been rescinded...Health care, NATO and other issues at now nothing like they were when Trump "enthused" the nation with them.
The President the voters thought they had is now morphing already into something...could actually be anything really.
I wonder whether his groupies will accept such about turns or express themselves more physically?

and finally his promise to keep all Muslims out was a nonsense...it is illegal in terms of discriminatory on the grounds of religion. I would have thought someone would have pointed that out??
I am always a little suspicious of posters who have never said a lot before , suddenly start being very vocal. Just saying.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2016, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by APRICOT ->
I am always a little suspicious of posters who have never said a lot before , suddenly start being very vocal. Just saying.
How is this sudden? Flicker only joined in October this year.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

13-11-2016, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Flicker ->
If Trump is serious and gets it through Congress he may well reuce the US's role in NATO.
At the same time Russia is meddling in Montenegro with a long Adriatic
coastline bordering Europe.

I am far happier being in control of an army to protect borders than to rely on the USA...seemingly fickle, and subject to THEIR politics which we have no say in.

Why do you want o be independent in the first instance but under someone else's control in your defense?
Hi

I really do not understand your logic.

The EU , Germany in particular, has been underfunding it's armed forces for years.

NATO has worked effectively for years, why change it?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2016, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I really do not understand your logic.

The EU , Germany in particular, has been underfunding it's armed forces for years.

NATO has worked effectively for years, why change it?
Just a query but my understanding is USA pays far more I than anyone else, can we make that up if they walk away ?
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2016, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
Yes but they have elections midterm....if the Dems take over his hands will be tied as Obama were for his last 2 years.

Also there's a lot of Repugs who don't like Trump.
Assuming they win of course, but in the meantime?

Page 31 of 71 « First < 21 29 30 31 32 33 41 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top