Join for free
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

08-01-2013, 01:24 PM

Driving tests hosted by Halfords

I have just seen this news item. What do you think about it?

Practical driving tests will be available from branches of Halfords from next month, the Government has announced.

The first test centre will open at the firm's Wellingborough store on February 5, before the initiative is rolled out to branches across the country in the coming months.

All tests will be conducted by Driving Standards Agency (DSA) examiners.

The firm's director of communications, David Sawday, told Sky News the store offered learner drivers a "non-threatening environment to meet your examiner and start your test".

"All the people in the country are within a 20 minute drive of a Halford's store so we are a very accessible location," he added.

Other sites under consideration as future test centres include Glasgow, Altrincham, Market Harborough and Hemel Hempstead.

And the car parts and bicycle retailer may not be the only private sector company enlisted to help provide "a more local service for driving test candidates".
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2013, 02:25 PM

Re: Driving tests hosted by Halfords

I think it seems like a good idea; saves on dedicated premises - although I wonder if testing depot staff have been put out of work - most of them are probably OK, hopefully.
I know that Halfords are doing car mechanics MoTs and servicing now at their own garages which are separate from the shops. My daughter has started using them and, so far, she says the service has been excellent and prices seem competitive. A couple of things they have not charged her for. .
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2013, 03:51 PM

Don't drive - won't drive!
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2013, 04:01 PM

I hope whoever thought this up at Halfords gets a bonus.

No use for me, tho, I was clocked at 36 MPH on a busy dual carriageway (30 mph limit)

I sent in my license & back came the reply "AHA you have Parkinsons, come for an appraisal of your driving in our place in LONDON"

No way, I let my license go. It was a relief in a way.
MrsD
midlands uk
MrsD is female  MrsD has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2013, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
I hope whoever thought this up at Halfords gets a bonus.

No use for me, tho, I was clocked at 36 MPH on a busy dual carriageway (30 mph limit)

I sent in my license & back came the reply "AHA you have Parkinsons, come for an appraisal of your driving in our place in LONDON"

No way, I let my license go. It was a relief in a way.
You made the right choice Robert , a lot of people on the road that need to stop driving dont until they have an accident ..
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2013, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->

Who is Parkinson and what were you doing with his licence?
Michael
Near London,UK
Michael is male  Michael has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2013, 12:19 PM

I'm surprised the out of town superstores with acres of car parking space have not offered this service.

They are gradually taking over as a one stop shop?
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2013, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Who is Parkinson and what were you doing with his licence?
Ha ha Bruce, it's a fair cop! I'll come quietly.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top