Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2013, 09:33 AM

All stop, a snow flake.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-21038913

Why is it that these days people only need the slightest excuse not to go to work?

In our day we used to walk to school through the snow and enjoyed it.

When I lived on the moors in Lancashire I had to walk to work many times as we often got snowed in, if you did not go to work you did not get paid.

Driving was a challenge and you soon learnt how to deal with it, OH! I forget they do'nt drive these days they just steer a car, anything more needed they stop.

These days this is a nation of mamby pamby's or is it the Nanny state, created by unions, that we live in?
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2013, 09:58 AM

Re: All stop, a snow flake.

It does seem pathetic somtimes, and probably just an excuse for a day off. I can never remember them closing schools for us even in really severe weather, low temperatures and still using outside toilets.....
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2013, 10:35 AM

I remember the teacher saying"Right it's cold in here you can all put on your coats." Perish the thought the they should sit in a room that is below seventy.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2013, 11:04 AM

I can remember walking 2 miles in 18ins of snow to go to grammar school ; when I got there I was told that the school was closed for the day so I had to walk the 2miles back home. This was in the "Great Snow" of 1945 !
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2013, 12:27 PM

The schools are the worst as they seem to close at the first sign of snow. We had to walk to school and just get on with it and there was a very bad winter in the 1960s when my school stayed open all through it as did all the others.
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2013, 01:33 PM

Back in my day there were no such thing as "snow days".

Three feet of snow? You put your jacket, hat and scarf on and walked through it to get to school.

Likewise if you were an adult you'd either do the same and walk to work or dig out the car and keep digging it out every time it got stuck (and it did often, tyres back in the 60s weren't the best let me tell you) until you arrived at work.

People have it so easy these days. If they went back to our day they wouldn't believe their eyes - PEOPLE ACTUALLY GOT ON WITH THINGS DESPITE SOME SNOW!!
MrsD
midlands uk
MrsD is female  MrsD has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2013, 02:56 PM

I think its cause we have moved on from the Victorian age , we now value Children much more than in the old days . I know for my children I have given them a better life than what I had . The hardship we had do we really want our children to have the same ? Would you send your grandchildren on a 3 mile trek to school , I know I wouldn't cause I think the world of them ..
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2013, 03:43 PM

We are not talking about the Vctorian age MrsD just when we grew up. I think we are producing a bunch of namby pamby kids who expect to be driven everywhere. It wouldn't do them any harm at all to walk to school.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2013, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by MrsD ->
I think its cause we have moved on from the Victorian age , we now value Children much more than in the old days . I know for my children I have given them a better life than what I had . The hardship we had do we really want our children to have the same ? Would you send your grandchildren on a 3 mile trek to school , I know I wouldn't cause I think the world of them ..
I certainly don't think that a hardship Mrs D, in fact the best thing you could do for them was to give them a three mile hike to school, might well toughen them up a bit and get them fitter. If you really think the world of your grandchildren then the finest thing you could do is to not spoil them quite so much..but yes, easier said than done, as we are all guilty of that methinks..
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2013, 04:02 PM

I used to walk almost 3 miles to school when the buses were cancelled due to the snow and I remember that I enjoyed it and thought it fun. In those days it was considered good exercise which I'm afraid today's children don't receive enough of.

If it was still snowing in the afternoon, we were allowed to go home an hour or so earlier.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top