Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2013, 05:07 PM

Re: An alternative to birthday cards

Originally Posted by Cookiecate ->
I was thinking the same thing myself.
I don't know why, I have plenty family and friends whom I converse with on a daily basis thank you very much.

Another thing - can I prop magazines up on the fireplace (without being committed to the psychiatric hospital)? I don't think so.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2013, 05:57 PM

My friends would call me a "sheenie" if I did that! Give a magazine appropriate to the person, yes, but a birthday card as well is a must

Good idea though Would be interesting to find out what the recipients would say though LOL
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2013, 06:04 PM

A magazine subscription can be a nice gift, but I'm not sure just a magazine instead of a card would work for me, surely it's the greetings and wishes that is the main point of a card?
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2013, 06:05 PM

All this talk of magazines reminds me, I must go and get the TV magazine from the bedroom and fill out the crossword - that's if my besom of a wife hasn't already done it
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2013, 07:39 PM

I must take issue with you on this one Elbee, my daughter makes her living producing greetimgs cards.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2013, 07:48 PM

I would also be insulted if someone bought me a magazine and wrote happy birthday on it without a card. You can buy cheap cards from The Card Factory at 59p, it's the stamps that cost the most. I would rather get a really nice card from someone, rather then a present.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2013, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Elbee ->
As birthday cards have got ever more expensive, and the choice bland and crass, for those that don't want to waste their life doing a personal card on "moonpig" and the like here is great alternative.

Instead of sending a birthday card, why not buy the birthday person a magazine featuring their hobby or interest and just write on the front "Happy Birthday for XXXX" and hand deliver it.

This will not cost that much more and will last a lot longer and give more pleasure than a Birthday card ever will.

A card and 2nd class postage cost around £2.50 - £3.00 so a magazine is only 50P or so more.
I always though sending greetings cards it was not about money but sharing having a decent though about someone.

Why does anyone at our age want to save money, there are no pockets in shrouds and all the shops in hell have burnt down.

Enjoy what money you have and try to bring happiness with, some of it, to others along the way.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2013, 10:00 AM

I send about 40 birthday cards a year, I have a lot of friends
Most of mine live around the Country and abroad so I would find
it a little more expensive than 50p laugh. Mind you it would
be exciting if I could afford it.
My latest thing is using Jacquie Lawson e cards. Its not much
to pay for a years subscription and the cards are absolutely fab.
They have all occasions and you can send as many as you want
all year and its only about £4. You can even book the date they
go out in advance.
I do still send cards by post and put a second class stamp on which
is now 50p and 87p for Europe and I buy cards ranging in price from
29p to £1.30 each. They are lovely cards if you look around.
Hope this helps someone at least.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top