Join for free
Page 14 of 18 « First < 4 12 13 14 15 16 > Last »
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2018, 10:35 PM

Re: What’s New in Windows 10’s October 2018 Update

Originally Posted by JBR ->
It occurred to me that I could just delete both Bing and Edge. Unfortunately, neither appear in the list in Programmes and Features.

Still, I would if I could, as I never use either of them.
Edge can be disabled, or so I read. I haven't tried doing it myself but there are some instructions here:

https://superuser.com/questions/9498...-in-windows-10

This wouldn't stop it taking up disk space though. Edge is very much part of the OS. However, Windows 10 in its entirety only takes up about 20 gigabytes of disk space and most computers have plenty of space to spare. Even if it was possible to uninstall Edge, it probably wouldn't free up much space. Best to just ignore it. A bit like ignoring Internet Explorer on Windows 7 and using some other browser.

Bing is just a search engine that Edge uses by default but just as with other browsers, it is possible to switch to a different search engine. Also install extensions such as an ad-blocker if you want to.

Edge isn't a browser I use much but it can be set up to something that works well enough. I have it set to use 'Startpage' as a search engine.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2018, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Edge can be disabled, or so I read. I haven't tried doing it myself but there are some instructions here:

https://superuser.com/questions/9498...-in-windows-10

This wouldn't stop it taking up disk space though. Edge is very much part of the OS. However, Windows 10 in its entirety only takes up about 20 gigabytes of disk space and most computers have plenty of space to spare. Even if it was possible to uninstall Edge, it probably wouldn't free up much space. Best to just ignore it. A bit like ignoring Internet Explorer on Windows 7 and using some other browser.

Bing is just a search engine that Edge uses by default but just as with other browsers, it is possible to switch to a different search engine. Also install extensions such as an ad-blocker if you want to.

Edge isn't a browser I use much but it can be set up to something that works well enough. I have it set to use 'Startpage' as a search engine.
No, it's not the disc space I'm concerned about.

I just had it in mind that if I could remove or disable Bing and Edge, then if and when I use Cortana it might just function as a search engine for files and programmes in my computer.

As I said, if I want to search the internet I use Google.

Apart from any of that, it just annoys me that I have an operating system that was necessary for the function of my computer. Unfortunately, because of the dictatorial attitude of Microsoft I am obliged to include adjunct programmes that are totally unused and unwanted.

Anything else that I buy, if I don't want part of it I am at liberty to ditch it.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2018, 11:31 PM

I just had it in mind that if I could remove or disable Bing and Edge, then if and when I use Cortana it might just function as a search engine for files and programmes in my computer
The two Registry files mentioned in an earlier post (#102) made the search behave like that for me.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2018, 12:14 AM

The two Registry files mentioned in an earlier post (#102) made the search behave like that for me.
This one, you mean?

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html

I'd like to try it, but I've always been scared of messing with the registry.

If something goes wrong, I assume I'll be stuck with a useless computer.

Is it really risky?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2018, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Unfortunately when I open my start menu, it looks like this Bruce.....

Sorry it's a bit small.
But there is no 'All Programmes' listed in the menu...
Click on Settings (the geared wheel) and search for 'Administrative Tools' from there - that cuts out a step.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

01-12-2018, 09:36 AM

This one, you mean?

I'd like to try it, but I've always been scared of messing with the registry.

If something goes wrong, I assume I'll be stuck with a useless computer.

Is it really risky?
That link leads only to the Windows 10 forum Home Page. The links in post #102 lead to specific pages containing the downloadable Registry files that change the way the search behaves.

I can't guarantee the well-being of your computer but I'd say it is safe to use those files. Using them is safer and easier than going into the Registry and making changes manually. They target only the parts of the Registry that affect the search behaviour with no room for error ..and there are a couple of Registry files included in the pages that will undo the changes made if that's what is wanted.

I've used the files myself. I've also used similar files found on that site that make changes in the Registry. They have always done the job they are supposed to and I've never had a problem arise by using them.

The site is a dedicated Windows 10 one where the workings of the OS has its bones picked over in detail. I trust the information and fixes found there.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2018, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Click on Settings (the geared wheel) and search for 'Administrative Tools' from there - that cuts out a step.
Thanks Bruce.....Successfully disabled......

We'll see how long it lasts.....

So many files in there Bruce, and I bet most of them are surplus to requirement for what use I want from this computer.....Question is......Which ones?
There are some for Xbox, something I will never use....I wonder if?...
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

01-12-2018, 12:33 PM

That link leads only to the Windows 10 forum Home Page. The links in post #102 lead to specific pages containing the downloadable Registry files that change the way the search behaves.

I can't guarantee the well-being of your computer but I'd say it is safe to use those files. Using them is safer and easier than going into the Registry and making changes manually. They target only the parts of the Registry that affect the search behaviour with no room for error ..and there are a couple of Registry files included in the pages that will undo the changes made if that's what is wanted.

I've used the files myself. I've also used similar files found on that site that make changes in the Registry. They have always done the job they are supposed to and I've never had a problem arise by using them.

The site is a dedicated Windows 10 one where the workings of the OS has its bones picked over in detail. I trust the information and fixes found there.
Both of them:

show only a page of lists. I think it must be when I copy from your post and add to my post?

I'll open the pages and copy the addresses directly:

I think that's better. I don't know why that happened.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2018, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Thanks Bruce.....Successfully disabled......

We'll see how long it lasts.....

So many files in there Bruce, and I bet most of them are surplus to requirement for what use I want from this computer.....Question is......Which ones?
There are some for Xbox, something I will never use....I wonder if?...
Actually there is a video screen saving ability in the Xbox stuff. I have never used it myself because I have other programs that do the same job but it is surprising what 'odd' facilities can be used for.

Here is a video you (and others) might find useful.

There are plenty of similar videos on Youtube if you don't like this one.

I can recommend activating the 'Night Light' setting.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2018, 01:46 PM

Thanks Bruce, but I'm having some real problems with windows 10...
I'm having to write this on my old computer because every time I visit the forum and write a piece on my new computer (with windows 10) it drops offline and I lose everything I've just written.

My other computers are unaffected, which suggests it's the computer and not BT's router. It's getting so frustrating that I resorted to writing posts in word and copy and pasting them into the forum, but every time I click on on an action in the forum, down goes the internet.

In desperation I've returned to posting on this old netbook running windows 7 where there are no problems whatsoever......HELP!

worried; Doncaster........Have I wasted £500?

Page 14 of 18 « First < 4 12 13 14 15 16 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top