Join for free
Page 8 of 9 « First < 6 7 8 9 >
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 03:17 PM

Re: Return of milk bottles !!

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Considering that dairy farmers only get about 20p/lt (~11.4p/pt) for their milk, someone, somewhere in the supply chain is making a bomb. I suspect it's the processors like Dairy Crest and the like.
Oh dear that is so bad, Percy! It isn't something I really thought about, but that price is just awful!
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Oh dear that is so bad, Percy! It isn't something I really thought about, but that price is just awful!
Sorry, I was using out-of-date figures that I remembered from old Country File and Midlands News programmes. Here are the more up-to-date UK farmgate milk prices (inc NI and Scotland): https://ahdb.org.uk/dairy/uk-farmgate-milk-prices Higher than I quoted above but still hard on the dairy farmers when their input costs are rising almost daily.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 03:31 PM

Still bad though - and like you say, for the amount of work involved...
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 03:38 PM

Pixie, if you have time, watch this: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...le-county-down The bit to watch is where Matt Baker is talking to the farmer about how he's using technology and "zero grazing" to improve his milking costs.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Still bad though - and like you say, for the amount of work involved...
Their career / business choice.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK

17-06-2021, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Pixie, if you have time, watch this: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...le-county-down The bit to watch is where Matt Baker is talking to the farmer about how he's using technology and "zero grazing" to improve his milking costs.
I couldn't sign into Iplayer for some reason, so googled it instead. That method is barbaric, frankly. Its unnatural and cruel. Right then, so that's me off cows milk altogether now - I suspected unorthodox ways, but seeing it with my own eyes is just so sad. Can't have almond milk or coconut milk (other threads), either so I guess I'll just stick to juice and water from now on. We are just so cruel to animals.
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 04:03 PM

We have a milkman, delivers milk in glass bottles. @70p per pint . + all the usual diary products
Oldbod
United Kingdom
Oldbod is female 

17-06-2021, 07:25 PM

I like the idea that I know which farm my milk comes from - about 10 miles away.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
And also, for those out at work, milk would then be left sitting on the doorstep in the heat until tea time, too.
That only applies to 'modern' times Mups in days of yore the ladies
of the house were just that ??

Donkeyman! 👍👍
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 08:51 PM

I answered an add on the internet that wanted self employed drivers to do courier work for a bloke and his daughter who had bought the franchise of a nationwide courier service.
I answered the add and that's how I started my career in courier work.

It turns out the bloke was a farmer who ran a dairy herd of around a thousand cows that his father and grandfather had done before him. He had built his own bottling and pasteurising plant, and even delivered personally to the local shops. It had served the family well for over 100 years.

The crunch came while he was delivering to a local store and realised that the bottled water cost more than a bottle of his milk that he and his ladies had spent so much time and effort on.
We made a lot of money together delivering parcels and other assorted goods to every corner of Britain, I don't know what happened to the dairy cows.........

Page 8 of 9 « First < 6 7 8 9 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top