Join for free
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2021, 01:14 AM

Half Price Air Fares!

The federal government will halve the price of nearly 800,000 airline tickets as part of a $1.2 billion package aimed at getting more Australians to spend big on domestic holidays.

The move is designed to prop up ailing parts of the tourism and aviation sectors, which have been hit hard by the coronavirus pandemic and which fear the end of the JobKeeper program later this month.

Between April and July, a 50 per cent discount on tickets will be offered for flights to and from 13 regions that normally rely heavily on international visitors.

The destinations are the Gold Coast, Cairns, the Whitsundays region, the Sunshine Coast, the Lasseter region which includes Uluru, Alice Springs, Launceston, Devonport, Burnie, Broome, Avalon, Merimbula and Kangaroo Island.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fede...10-p579kr.html
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2021, 01:50 AM

Re: Half Price Air Fares!

Are you taking them up on it, Bruce? If so, where would you go?

I am not sure I'm eligible. If so, as much as I love to drive, this might make it possible see a few remote places that I would otherwise miss. Thank you!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2021, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Are you taking them up on it, Bruce? If so, where would you go?

I am not sure I'm eligible. If so, as much as I love to drive, this might make it possible see a few remote places that I would otherwise miss. Thank you!
Believe it or not I have only ever flown domestically once and that was in 1967 when I flew to from Sydney to Canberra in a Fokker Friendship. I always drive because most of the fun for me is the journey rather than the destination.

For international visitors, of whom we have none now, the only way to travel is by air because Australia is so big. I used to fly regularly to Malaysia. The trip takes 8 hours by plane but 5 hours of that trip is flying over Australia.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2021, 01:59 AM

IMO Domestic airfares in Australia are horrendously expensive .
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2021, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
IMO Domestic airfares in Australia are horrendously expensive .
You are not wrong. Half of the Australian branch of my family live in Perth. Costs more to fly there from Sydney than it does to Singapore. I remember one time I flew QANTAS Sydney - Honolulu - San Francisco. It cost me less than my one way flight to Perth the same year. ..
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2021, 02:22 AM

This ought to be moved to Travel so more folks can see it.

Gee, Keezoy. You burst my bubble; I was fantasizing about bouncing all over the place.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

11-03-2021, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
This ought to be moved to Travel so more folks can see it.
I thought about that but it is part of a government initiative to stimulate the tourism economy after Jobkeeper ceases at the end of this month. It is designed for domestic tourism.

Tourism and education have been hit very badly by the shutdown of the International border especially if they are more than 2 hours drive from a capital city.

A woefully inadequate stimulus from the Federal government I might add.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

11-03-2021, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Believe it or not I have only ever flown domestically once and that was in 1967 when I flew to from Sydney to Canberra in a Fokker Friendship. I always drive because most of the fun for me is the journey rather than the destination.

For international visitors, of whom we have none now, the only way to travel is by air because Australia is so big. I used to fly regularly to Malaysia. The trip takes 8 hours by plane but 5 hours of that trip is flying over Australia.
Totally agree about the pleasures of driving, which is why we were thinking about restricting ourselves to a small, specific area (that includes surfing).

I totally understand. When people tell me they want to come here a week and ask for an itinerary in which they can see California, several national parks, and places on the east coast, my heart drops.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

11-03-2021, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I thought about that but it is part of a government initiative to stimulate the tourism economy after Jobkeeper ceases at the end of this month. It is designed for domestic tourism.

Tourism and education have been hit very badly by the shutdown of the International border especially if they are more than 2 hours drive from a capital city.

A woefully inadequate stimulus from the Federal government I might add.
I understand. Here, we have aided big corporations and have written small checks to most Americans, but small businesses were ignored. Just today I drove past an empty store front....and another...and another....

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top