Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2021, 02:42 PM

How much will coronavirus cost the UK?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52663523

The Office for Budget Responsibility (OBR) - which keeps tabs on government spending - said that borrowing would be £355,000,000,000 for the current financial year (April 2020 to April 2021), before falling back to £234,000,000,000 over the next year.

That's the highest figure ever seen outside wartime.

Where did the money go?

Over £100bn is being spent on support for jobs, such as the furlough scheme, where the government steps in to pay most of workers' wages. The NHS and other public services have been given extra money to pay for the costs of fighting the pandemic. With more money going out and less coming in, the government has only one option - to borrow.

Even if the pandemic ends quickly, there will still be higher costs and lower tax receipts in future years too. All of this means more borrowing.

Can the UK afford all this debt?

Until recently, the government has been able to borrow easily at very low interest rates, which has made its debt more affordable. At the moment it pays just 0.78% interest to borrow for 10 years.

Though it's still low, it has been rising recently - and the higher it goes, the harder it will be to support the UK's debt burden.

And in any case, interest payments will weigh on future generations until the debt is paid off, meaning there is less money available to spend on public services, or tax cuts.
The debt will (probably) still be there when I die .....
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2021, 03:14 PM

Re: How much will coronavirus cost the UK?

Covid is going to radically change society as we knew it. Pandemics always have in the past, this will be no different.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2021, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Covid is going to radically change society as we knew it. Pandemics always have in the past, this will be no different.
I agree. There is no "normal" as we once knew it. The debt will be horrendous, but the decline in health (mental as well as physical) will be with us for longer. There's no "washing our hands" and moving on, I believe.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2021, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52663523

The debt will (probably) still be there when I die .....
The debt will be there when our grandkids die Omah.
The national debt was perpetual and would never be paid off even before Covid took it off the scale....The UK and most of it's residents only survive on credit nowadays.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2021, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
The debt will be there when our grandkids die Omah.
The national debt was perpetual and would never be paid off even before Covid took it off the scale....The UK and most of it's residents only survive on credit nowadays.
That's what I read, the UK debt before the pandemic was running at near 100% of GDP so you started at a very high base (there were countries in a worse situation such as Japan) but the pandemic added to that already pretty large debt.

With Brexit added on top there seems little likelihood of the UK running a surplus and paying off its debts anytime soon so personally I feel very pessimistic about the future of my young nieces, nephews and cousins who live there, they will be struggling for decades to come in my opinion.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2021, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
That's what I read, the UK debt before the pandemic was running at near 100% of GDP so you started at a very high base (there were countries in a worse situation such as Japan) but the pandemic added to that already pretty large debt.

With Brexit added on top there seems little likelihood of the UK running a surplus and paying off its debts anytime soon so personally I feel very pessimistic about the future of my young nieces, nephews and cousins who live there, they will be struggling for decades to come in my opinion.
I agree about the future, of not just the UK Bruce, and with or without further outbreaks of Covid, I believe it's going to get a lot worse before it gets better.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2021, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I agree about the future, of not just the UK Bruce, and with or without further outbreaks of Covid, I believe it's going to get a lot worse before it gets better.
Yes, you are right it is not just the UK, our economy is nearly 3% down and unemployment 1% up on what was predicted before the pandemic (and we were supposed to have a surplus and no debt last year). The tourist industry is on its knees and Uni income is down dramatically because of the absence of overseas students.

I am not sure if it is going to get worse, I hope the worse is behind us now, I suppose it depends what happens once the International borders start to open - it appears it will only be to selected countries at first, some experts are saying that trips to the UK and USA are unlikely to happen before 2022.

d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2021, 09:39 AM

It's Fiat Money. We'll be in the red when traders stop investing in the pound.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2021, 11:16 AM

In monetary terms pick a number, plus as many zeros as you like.

Incalculable, those who are dying or deceased because treatment for other life threatening condition was delayed or restricted.

Children whose education has been so disrupted they may well not receive exam grades expected.

People who have lost employment.

Mental healthcare not able to cope with increasing patients.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2021, 11:27 AM

Getting China and the WHO to refund our money would be a good start

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top